Table of Contents
The Indian Hornbill, the state bird of Nagaland, inspired the festival’s name. The bird with the same name, the hornbill, inspired the name of the Nagaland festival. For a very long time, the Indian tribal festivities have been symbolized by a depiction of a hornbill bird. There is no denying the importance of agriculture to the Naga people in Nagaland. The Naga people believe that agriculture should be worshipped and celebrated because it supports the majority of the state’s inhabitants. And it is for this reason that only they observe the Hornbill festival, a happy expression of the same idea.
Indian festivities are vibrant, boisterous, and entertaining. Tribes have had a significant role in shaping our history, culture, and populace. Tribal festivals are among of the most beautiful celebrations in our country. The Nagaland Hornbill Festival is one of the many tribal celebrations in India that has gained recognition on a global scale. Nagaland is home to 16 distinct tribes. The Nagaland State Tourism and Art & Culture Departments created the Hornbill Festival as an initiative to bring the various tribes together. The consequence of the effort is currently a global environment where traditional music, dance, arts, and activities are flourishing. There is also a rock music festival that attracts visitors from all over the world.
Hornbill Festival 2022: Date and Venue
The festival will take place from December 1 to December 10 at the Naga Heritage Village in Kisama, roughly 12 kilometers from Kohima, the nation’s capital. The Hornbill Festival, which has been held annually for more than 20 years, serves as the principal venue for promoting Nagaland tourism and allied industries while also providing business owners with chances to expand.
Hornbill Festival 2022: Celebration
A “Festival of Festivals,” the Hornbill Festival. All tribes gather together and produce an extravaganza of festivities by showcasing their traditions, dances, and music. The Indian hornbill, which lives in forests, inspired the festival’s name. Almost every tribe in the state has a story about this lovely bird. The festival’s name refers to its unifying concept. This festival offers a wonderful chance to sample the delicious cuisine, handicrafts, traditional songs, dances, and customs of Nagaland.
The traditional Naga Morungs Exhibition and Sale of Arts and Crafts, Traditional Songs and Dances, Local Games, Traditional Archery, Naga Wrestling, Flower Shows and Sales, Beauty Contest, Fashion Shows, Herbal Medicine Stalls, Food Stalls, Display of Paintings, Sculptures, and Wood Carvings, and a Musical Concert are all included in the Hornbill Festival Celebrations. A venue is provided for the exhibiting of works by contemporary artists.
After sunset, the Hornbill National Rock Concert ignites a festive mood around the world. In order to compete in the show, rock bands from all over the nation and the world travel. From every corner of the world, people are visible.
Hornbill Festival 2022: Schedule
One of the most well-known festivals in India is the Hornbill Festival, which is observed with richness and grandeur. It takes place in the state of Nagaland every December. The Hornbill Festival is a must-see if you’re searching for a joyful and entertaining event to attend.
- 9 a.m. People begin to assemble at the festival site in the morning to take in the splendor of this spectacular Hornbill festival.
- 12 p.m. Around noon, everyone indulges in delectable cuisine and snacks. The competitors take a brief break to refuel with the delicious food.
- 2 p.m. People are known to move to various stalls and activity areas at this time of day in preparation for talent hunt rounds.
- 5 p.m. When individuals can indulge in rice beer and delicious evening munchies, this is the moment they look forward to the most. The incredible Hornbill National Concert follows this.
Hornbill Festival 2022: Tickets
If you want to go to the event, you must buy entry tickets. The price is in the 20–30 INR range. If you are an international visitor, you must register with the district’s FRO (Foreigners Registration Office). If you are a domestic tourist, you require an inner-line authorization from the local government.
Please be aware that there is an additional fee of INR 50 for cameras.
Hornbill Festival 2022: Major Attractions
One of the most well-known holidays in India is the Hornbill Festival, which is observed with unending fervour and zeal. Along with other standout attractions, the festival offers a wide range of traditional music and dance performances.
- Sneak a Peek at the Exhibition of Tribal Art. There are many things at the week-long festival that will catch your interest. The exhibition features a wide variety of works, including paintings, sculptures, woodcarvings, handmade goods, and much more. Additionally, there is a ton of merchandise on display for sale that visitors can purchase for their own use or as mementos.
- Cultural performances and enjoyable activities. The festival offers a lot more to you than only events that promote awareness and traditional culture. There are numerous folk music and dance performances planned to amuse visitors from all over the nation. The festival draws crowds with its ethnic food and traditional sports competitions in addition to its cultural performances.
- Hornbill Night. The “hornbill night,” when all the tribes join together to sing and dance around a bonfire, is the festival’s high point. The event serves as a time for joy, introspection, and prayers for a fruitful new year. People set aside their differences and gather together as a single community during this time. The Hornbill Festival is a one-of-a-kind and exceptional occasion that must not be missed.
Hornbill Festival 2022: History
This festival is annually planned by the State Tourism and Art and Culture Department of Nagaland. The event was first conducted in 2000, and ever since then, Nagaland has celebrated it every year. The festival is attended by people who travel from all around the country since it has achieved such great success.
In Naga Heritage Village, 12 kilometers outside Kohima, the state capital, the Hornbill Festival will take place once more. The locals take part in the event to promote and maintain their unique tribes and traditions.