Table of Contents
The University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test (UGC NET) December – 2021 & June – 2022 (merged cycles) examination dates could be released anytime and candidates are on their track to prepare and ace the examination. The examination date will be soon released by the conducting body – National Testing Agency (NTA). Being one of the subjects with a vast number of topics to cover, English Literature is a subject that candidates find difficulty in learning, yet the proper approach to preparation would be advantageous in scoring well to be qualified for both JRF & Assistant Professor tests.
The following article provides details on the important dates, preparation tips, syllabus, study materials, and exam pattern for the UGC NET English Literature examination.
UGC NET English 2022: Important Dates
The important dates and events for the UGC NET English Literature 2022 examination (merged cycle: December 2021 and June 2022) is given below in the table:
|Online Application Release
|30th April 2022
|Last Date of Application
|30th May 2022
|Application Form Correction Window Opens
|31st May 2022 to 1st June 2022
|Admit Card Release
|To be announced
|Date of Examination
|To be announced
|Final Result Declaration
|To be announced
UGC NET English 2022: Study Materials
To score higher marks for the English Literature UGC NET examination, the following books (given in the table below) recommended would help students to prepare well based on the syllabus.
|A Critical History of English Literature-
|World Literature and Comparative Cultural Studies
|Saugata Bhaduri & Simmi Malhotra
|A n Objective & Analytical Approach to English Literature for UGC NET-JRF
|Dr. Vivekanand Jha
|Trueman’s UGC NET English Literature
|English for UGC-NET
|UGC NET English Literature
UGC NET English Literature 2022: Preparation Tips
To kick-start preparation for the examination, employing a strategic approach is important. Analyse both the weak and strong points for each section of the exam as it is necessary for the candidate to introspect in their study process. Formulate a study plan for Paper-II to cover poetry, prose and drama. Stick to the plan with a suitable schedule that would let the candidate to finish the syllabus (provided in the article) a month prior to the date of examination. Familiarizing with the pattern of examination and the cut-off percentage helps the candidate gain a clear understanding of the methods to adopt in which he/she could attempt the examination . As provided above in the article, the books to be referred would guide in getting a grasp of the topics and to perform well for both Paper-I and Paper-II. Make sure you carry a valid ID proof and Admit Card before entering the examination centre.
Here are a few tips and tricks to remember while preparing for the UGC NET English Literature Examination 2022:
- Make an efficient and effective study plan structured to ace the preparation for your exam.
- Refer books on English literature (cover drama, poetry and prose extensively) and literary criticism.
- Based on the repeated previous year questions, learn the complete works of authors such as R.K Narayan, Daniel Defoe, Anita Desai, Charles Dickens, Samuel Beckett, Jane Austen, T.S Eliot, Harold Pinter, Virginia Woolf, Kazuo Ishiquro, Ernest Hemingway, D.H Lawrence, Raja Rao, etc.
- Allot 15 minutes to skim through daily current affairs for Paper-I.
- Focus on your language skills by writing the summary of a random essay each day.
- Allot 1 hour for each section a day for the subjects and relevant topics mentioned in the syllabus.
- Managing time based the total number of question accordingly is crucial. Therefore, lay emphasis on arranging the sections to be answered to your level of ease.
- For each section based topics, learn by keeping the duration in mind for both Paper-I and II.
- To find ample time for a thorough revision, cover the exam syllabus as early as possible.
- Refer to UGC NET previous year question paper (Solved Questions) from the last five years.
- Attempt the UGC NET Quizzes and Mock Test. (Avail the Free Mock Test Series on entri.app)
- Self-assessment is an important aspect.
UGC NET English 2022: Exam Syllabus
To prepare for the UGC NET English Literature examination, candidates must be thorough with the syllabus designed by UGC for both Paper- I and Paper-II.
The syllabus for the UGC NET English Literature Paper- II examination is as follows:
|Language: Basic concepts, theories, and pedagogy. English in Use.
|English in India: history, evolution, and futures
|Literary Theory post World War II
|Research Methods and Materials in English
Topics to be covered as part of the curriculum for Paper-II are:
- English Language Teaching
- History of English Language
- Indian Literature in English Translation
- Indian Writing in English
- Chaucer to Shakespeare
- Romantic Period
- Victorian Period
- Modern Period
- Contemporary Period
- Modern British Literature
- American and other non-British English Literature
- Literary Theory and Criticism
- Contemporary Theory
UGC NET English 2022: Exam Pattern & Cut-Off
The exam pattern and cut-off for the UGC NET English Literature 2022 is provided below:
|Number of Questions
- Conducted as Paper-I and Paper-II, both the papers are of objective type.
- There will be no negative marking.
|JRF & Assistant Professor
|Assistant Professor Only
|Cut-off Marks Percentage
|Cut-off Marks Percentage
Aiming for high marks and saving time can be achieved once the candidate takes up the right study material for their exam preparation. ENTRI APP provides mock tests, learning tools, study materials and quizzes that will guide you through a thorough comprehension of the relevant topics as well as to help you become confident in scoring well for your examination.