International boundaries are the geographical borders of political or legal jurisdictions like countries, customs territories, and sovereign states. the method of the creation of a border is named boundary delimitation. Some international borders like those within a free movement area just like the European Union are thinly guarded or completely open. Others like the India-Pakistan border or the North Korea-South Korea border is also heavily patrolled with access controlled through designated crossings. International boundary lines are a crucial topic for the Geography Syllabus. In this article, we will discuss Important Boundary Lines in the World.
Important Boundary Lines in the World
Given below are the Important Boundary Lines in the World.
|N.o||Name of Lines/Boundaries||Between|
|1.||17th Parallel||South Vietnam and North Vietnam|
|2.||20th Parallel||Libya and Sudan|
|3.||22nd Parallel||Egypt and Sudan|
|4.||25th Parallel||Mauritania and Mali|
|5.||31st Parallel||Iran and Iraq|
|6.||38th Parallel||South Korea and North Korea|
|7.||49th Parallel||The USA and Canada|
|8.||Durand Line||Pakistan and Afghanistan|
|9.||Hindenburg Line||Poland and Germany|
|10.||McMahon Line||China and India|
|11.||Maginot Line||Germany and France|
|12.||Mannerheim Line||Russia and Finland|
|13.||Oder-Neisse Line||Poland and Germany|
|14.||Radcliffe Line||India and Pakistan|
|15.||Siegfried Line||France and Germany|
The important international border of the globe is vital for the UPSC exam and falls into static Gk categories. Knowing about the situation of international boundaries is particularly useful for answering map based questions in Geography. The politics and diplomacy syllabus also covers a number of the problems surrounding boundary delimitation and trade between countries.
Features of Important Boundary Lines
- Durand Line is the line demarcating the boundaries of Pakistan and Afghanistan. It was drawn in 1896 by Sir Mortimer Durand.
- Hindenburg Line is the boundary dividing Germany and Poland. The Germans parted to this line in 1917 during World War I
- Mason-Dixon Line is a line of demarcation between four states in the United State.
- Marginal Line was the 320-km line of fortification on the Russia-Finland border. Drawn up by General Mannerheim.
- Macmahon Line was drawn up by Sir Henry MacMahon, demarcating the frontier of India and China. China did not aware of the MacMahon line and crossed it in 1962.
- Medicine Line is the border between Canada and the United States.
- Radcliffe Line was drawn up by Sir Cyril Radcliffe, demarcating the boundary between India and Pakistan. Siegfried Line is the line of fortification drawn up by Germany on its border with France. Order-Neisse Line is the border between Poland and Germany, running along with the Order and Neisse rivers, accepted at the Poland Conference (Aug 1945) after World War II.
- 17th Paralleldefined the boundary between North Vietnam and South Vietnam before the two were united.
- The 24th Parallel is the line which Pakistan claims for demarcation between India and Pakistan. This, however, is not recognized by India
- 26th Parallelsouth is a circle of latitude which crosses through Africa, Australia, and South America.
- 30th Parallelnorth is a line of latitude that stands one-third of the way between the equator and the North Pole.
- 33rd Parallel north is a circle of latitude which cuts through the southern United States, parts of North Africa, parts of the Middle East, and China.
- The 35th Parallel north forms the boundary between the State of North Carolina and the State of Georgia and the boundary between the State of Tennessee arid the State of Georgia, the State of Alabama, and the State of Mississippi.
- 36th Parallelforms the southernmost boundary of the State of Missouri with the State of Arkansas.
- 36o30′ Parallel north forms the boundary between the Tenessee and the Commonwealth of Kentucky between the Tennessee River and the Mississippi River, the boundary between Missouri and Arkansas west of the White River, and the northmost boundary between Texas and Oklahoma.
- 37th Parallelnorth formed the southern boundary of the historic and extralegal Territory of Jefferson.
- The 38th Parallel is the latitude that separates North Korea and South Korea.
- 39th Parallel north is an imaginary circle of latitude that is 39 degrees north of Earth’s equatorial plane.
- 40th Parallelnorth formed the original northern boundary of the British Colony of Maryland.
- 41st Parallelnorth forms the northern boundary of the State of Colorado with Nebraska and Wyoming and the southern boundary of the State of Wyoming with Colorado and Utah.
- 42nd Parallel north forms most of the New York – Pennsylvania border.
- 43rd Parallel north forms most of the boundary between the State of Nebraska and the State of South Dakota and formed the northern border of the historic and extralegal Territory of Jefferson.
- The Parallel 44onorth is an imaginary circle of latitude that is 44 degrees north of the Earth’s equatorial plane.
- 45th Parallelnorth is often the halfway point between the Equator and the North Pole. The 45th parallel makes up most of the boundary between Montana and Wyoming.
- 49th Parallel is the boundary between the USA and Canada