Table of Contents
Many trusts and organisations in India give various prizes in various fields. We are going to discuss one such award here. It is none other than the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize. Indira Gandhi Peace Prize also known as Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development began in 1986. This award is given by the Indira Gandhi Memorial Trust annually. Let’s read more about the details and prepare the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize – Study Notes for UPSC. Use these handwritten notes during revisions instead of going to the internet for every topic.
This prize is awarded to individuals who take action and make creative contributions to promote things such as development, international peace and new economic order. These are also given to creators who promote the ideas that ensure that inventions in the scientific field are used for the greater good of the general public and increasing the scope of freedom. The writings of the person who is considered for the award should be already published.
Important Facts about the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize
Some Important Facts about the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize are provided below to be noted down on your Indira Gandhi Peace Prize – Study Notes for UPSC.
- The award consists of 2.5 million (25 lakh rupees) in Indian rupees and also a citation.
- The prize is awarded in a ceremony arranged in New Delhi on November 19th every year.
- November 19th is the birth anniversary of Indira Gandhi
- The award intends to not only honour the recipient of the award but also to inspire others to follow similar ideals.
Indira Gandhi Peace Prize Recipients List
The list of people who received the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize is provided here.
|Parliamentarians for Global Action
|International Organisation of Parliamentarians
|b. 1931 d. 2022
|Former Soviet Union political Leader
|Gro Harlem Brundtland
|Former Prime Minister of the nation Norway
|United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund
|First President of the country Namibia
|1944 – 1991
|Former Prime Minister of India (award was given after the death of the person i.e. posthumous)
|1914 – 1993
|First President of the country Czech Republic
|1913 – 1998
|12th President of country Nigeria
|Médecins Sans Frontières
|39th President of the United States of America
|Founder of Grameen Bank
|M. S. Swaminathan
|Indian Agricultural Scientist
|7th President of the country Ireland
|Former United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
|2nd Commonwealth Secretary-General
|7th United Nations Secretary-General
|Maha Chakri Sirindhorn
|Princess of Thailand
|12th President of Afghanistan
|1940 – 2011
|African Environmental and Political activist
|Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
|4th Director General of the IAEA
|Prime Minister of Bangladesh
|Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva
|Former President of Brazil
|1933 – 2022
|Founder of SEWA
|Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
|President of Liberia
|Chancellor of Germany
|Indian Space Research Organisation
|Indian Space Agency
|United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
|· Former Prime Minister
· Former Finance Minister
· Former Governor of the Reserve Bank of India
|Centre for Science and Environment
|nonprofit public interest advocacy and research group with its headquarters in New Delhi, India.
|Sir David Attenborough
|World-renowned English broadcaster as well as a natural historian
|Pratham is an innovative non-profit learning organization headquartered in India that aims to improve education quality for underprivileged children.
|Indian Medical Association and The Trained Nurses Association of India (jointly)
|The award was given to every doctor, nurse, paramedic, and worker for their unselfish devotion during the COVID-19 pandemic.
|Ali Abu Awwad and Daniel Barenboim (jointly)
|State of Palestine and Argentina
|· Awwad is a renowned peace activist
· Maestro Barenboim is an Argentine-born classical pianist
The Selection Process for Indira Gandhi Peace Prize
The selection process of the awardee of the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize is as given below.
- Indira Gandhi Memorial Trust will create a panel that will consist of very popular personalities at national as well as global levels.
- The panel might also include previous recipients of the same award.
- The recipient of the award of a year is chosen from a pool containing the names of national and international names.
- This pool contains nominations that are invited from a variety of sources such as organisations, governments and individuals.
- Then the panel evaluates the nominees carefully and selects the most deserving one.
What is the Significance of the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize?
You cannot prepare the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize – Study Notes for UPSC without knowing why this price is significant. Let’s read to learn more details.
- A variety of people have been awarded this prize. This includes activists, scientists, political leaders etc.
- The contributions of these people have a major impact on many critical issues such as poverty eradication, environmental pollution and nuclear disarmament.
Indira Gandhi Peace Prize of 2021
A civil society organisation named Pratham was conferred for Indira Gandhi Peace Prize in the year of 2021. They work to improve the quality of the education that is given to underprivileged children in India and many other places.
Founded in 1995, Pratham started by establishing community-based preschools and providing remedial education to pupils who were falling behind in their studies in impoverished communities. Today, 14 nations across three continents use its Annual Status of Education Report (ASER), which is based on a survey of 6,000,000 rural Indian children, as a model to evaluate educational outcomes and learning gaps. In response to the issues brought up by ASER, Pratham introduced its flagship initiative, Read India, in 2007. The program’s goal is to enhance kids’ learning by bolstering fundamental math and reading comprehension.
Pratham received this award in recognition of its groundbreaking work over 25 years to guarantee that every child has access to high-quality education; its creative use of digital technology to deliver education; its skill-building programs for young adults; its ongoing assessment of educational quality; and its prompt response to allow students to continue their education during the school closures of Covid-19 time.
Indira Gandhi Peace Prize of 2022
Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament, and Development of the year 2022 was awarded to two organisations. They are other than:
- Indian Medical Association
- Trained Nurses Association of India
They are awarded this as representatives of frontline workers during the 2019 pandemic.
Current Affairs about Indira Gandhi Prize of 2023
Current affairs are an important part of the UPSC exam. So don’t forget to write this current affair in your Indira Gandhi Peace Prize – Study Notes for UPSC. Read to know more about the recipients of the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize in the year 2023.
Indira Gandhi Peace Prize in the year 2023 was awarded jointly to Daniel Barenboim (classical pianist) and Ali Abu Awwad (peace activist) for their efforts in bringing together the people of Israel as well as the Arab world for a nonviolent resolution of Israel and Palestine conflict. The prize recognizes their efforts to enhance social and cultural understanding between people via interaction, music, and discourse.
Daniel Barenboim is a renowned Argentine-born classical pianist. A few important points about him are provided below.
- He is popular for his achievements in the field of music.
- He is recognised for his efforts in promoting harmony in the Middle East, especially in the case of Palestine-Israel conflicts.
- Founder of West-Eastern Divan Orchestra.
- Established Barenboim-Said Akademie.
Ali Abu Awwad
Ali Abu Awwad is a famous Palestinian peace activist. A few important points about him are mentioned below.
- Worked tirelessly for the resolution of conflicts in the Middle East.
- Co-founder of initiatives such as Taghyeer and
- Devoted to non-violent action in favour of Gandhian principles.
- Promotes non-violence as an act of practising humanity.
All the necessary information about the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize is discussed in the article. Prepare your Indira Gandhi Peace Prize – Study Notes for UPSC after referring to the info provided here.
Indira Gandhi Peace Prize – Study Notes for UPSC FAQs
Q1: Who received the 2023 Indira Gandhi Peace Prize?
The Indira Gandhi Peace Prize for 2023 went to peace activist Ali Abu Awwad and classical pianist Daniel Barenboim combined for their efforts to unite Arab and Israeli citizens in favour of a peaceful resolution to the Israel-Palestine conflict.
Q2: What is included in the Indira Gandhi Peace Prize?
A citation and a cash reward of 2.5 million Indian rupees are included with the prize.