The drug seems breathtaking, but certainly life killing!
June 26 is recognized as the international day against drug abuse and illicit trafficking. Every year, this day is devoted to contemplating the need and awareness to spread knowledge about drug abuse and illicit trafficking. The international day against drug abuse and illicit trafficking was brought forward by the UN leadership in recognition of the need to stress the awareness on the increasing drug abuse cases.
Yes, its all about drug abuse and illicit trafficking and if you find it uninteresting, turn around and see the harsh reality that society goes through. As human beings, we are bound to consider the harsh reality of drug abuse on our young ones, and be socially responsible for the upcoming generation.
This article will introduce you to some chilling real-life stories, reality of drug abuse awareness and the real effect of an international day devoted for action against drug abuse and illicit trafficking. Young minds go away from sanity and end up physically ill for their lifetime in most such cases. The grief doesn’t fit inside their homes, but as a human on earth, every one of us is bound to raise awareness and save the world together. Then you shall know the real relevance of the international day against drug abuse and illicit trafficking.
International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking: Theme 2022
Mainly internal day against drug abuse and illicit trafficking themes varies yearly. Mostly, it stressed moral rights and the need for a healthy life. 2022 is stressed upon “Addressing drug challenges in health and humanitarian crises.” 2021 saw the theme, Share Facts on Drugs, Save Lives.
International day against drug abuse and illicit trafficking aims at promoting awareness of worldwide drug abuse and the disadvantages it possesses. This day is promoted by the UN after acknowledging the reality of the increased drug abuse and illicit trafficking. As per the reports and survey, about 34% of drug misuse incidents grow annually. Thus, through introducing this day, humankind is encouraged to educate one another about the disadvantages of drug abuse and provide real awareness about its side effects. In this day, everyone has a moral responsibility to guide one another and save lives.
|Year||Theme of World Drug Day|
|2022||Addressing drug challenges in health and humanitarian crises|
|2021||Share Facts on Drugs, Save Lives|
|2020||Better Knowledge for Better Care|
|2019||“Health for Justice. Justice for Health” – This theme emphasizes the fact that health and justice are really two sides of the same coin, especially when it comes to tackling drug problems.|
|2016-2018||“Listen First – Listening to children and youth is the first step to help them grow healthy and safe”|
|2015||“Let’s Develop — Our Lives — Our Communities — Our Identities — Without Drugs|
|2014||“A message of hope: Drug use disorders are preventable and treatable”|
|2013||“Make health your ‘new high’ in life, not drugs”|
|2012||“Global Action for Healthy Communities without Drugs”|
|2010||“Think health – not drugs”|
|2009||“Do drugs control your life? Your life. Your community. No place for drugs.”|
|2008||“Do drugs control your life? Your life. Your community. No place for drugs.”|
|2007||“Do drugs control your life? Your life. Your community. No place for drugs.”|
|2006||“Value yourself…make healthy choices”|
|2005||“Drugs is not child’s play”|
|2004||“Drugs: treatment works”|
|2003||“Let’s talk about drugs”|
|2002||“Substance abuse and HIV/AIDS”|
|2001||“Sports against drugs”|
|2000||“Facing reality: denial, corruption and violence”|
International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking: Significance
International day for the Drug abuse and illicit trafficking stresses upon the need for the awareness against the drug abuse. Drug intake and circulation have caused massive destruction around the globe. Thus, UN have formulated a day reminder for educating the world about the harmful nature of drugs and its impact upon young adults.
Origin of International Day Against Drug Abuse
In the 43rd General Assembly session, the UN resolution, Narcotics Drugs in 1909 sought to control the drug business and drug misuse as it was bringing a large-scale demolition in the society and lives of many young ones. The establishment of the United Nations Organization (UNO) established the Commission on Narcotic Drugs (CND) in 1946. CND had a purpose to help ECOSOC in examining if global drug regulator treaties are being implemented. Finally, the UNGA approved resolution 42/122 in 1987 and appointed an international against drug abuse and illicit trafficking.
Most people are aware of the harsh side effects of the drug and the widespread destruction it causes. But many people are unaware of the real fact and depicts it as a short-term disturbance. But eventually, there happens the real antagonist of their life, the addiction. After falling into the pit of addiction, most people find it hard to recover without de addiction agencies help. Thus, this day stands as a strong influence for the people who aren’t much aware of drug abuse, to be educated and asked to reflect on the issues caused by the drug abuse.
What Is Drug Abuse?
Drug abuse mentions the use of certain chemicals to create pleasurable impacts on the brain. This gradually damages the brain and sometimes leads the person to do extremely destructive or harmful nature, as an impact upon their emotional sides. There are above 190 million drug users around the world and the difficulty has been growing at frightening rates, particularly amongst young adults below the age of 30.
Know the Real Manipulative Forces Behind the Drugs
Usually, drug abuse is seen at its highest rates among young adults. The main psychological reason behind it is peer pressure and the curiosity behind it. The influence of the friends and manipulative drug trafficking sessions also stands as a primary reason. The recreational mood and the intense carefree mind created by the first usage of drug cause the person to use it again and gradually, the brain finds it unavoidable. Drug usage usually, causes a creative impulse and inspiration in the initial uses. In many cases, we have seen many writers were in the hands of opium during their creative flight, but we also witnessed their death from suicide and other mental struggles. The addictive nature in it causes, massive destruction. The illegal trafficking mafias behind its plays a string villain role in disrupting peace and productivity among youngsters.
Some of the Drugs
- Cocaine from coca
- Opium and opioids from poppy plants
- Hashish or marijuana from cannabis
- Synthetic drugs such as heroin, ecstasy and LSD
Each drug has its specific side effects and can endanger a person’s life. It can also cause intense damage to the internal body parts and brain functions. The over dosage can cause death.
The Real Devil Behind the Drugs: Addiction
The real devil behind the drugs is the unavoidable addiction it causes. The addiction gradually becomes a part of the person and alters brain functions. Drug addiction happens not only to the drugs like opium, marijuana but also to the prescribed medications for psychiatric illnesses like bipolar, borderline personality disorder and insomnia disorders.
Usually, the wrong usage and the constant usage of drugs cause dopamine level in the brain to raise and cause extreme levels of mood fluctuations and ecstasy in the person for which he or she may strive again. Mostly it affects the focus, judgement, decision-making capacity, memory and even the ability to learn. Drugs cause pleasure and extreme happiness, but they can also cause extreme pain and mental depravity. Later, as a result of this huge impact, people who are a victim of this develops depression and anxiety.
Who is Most Likely to be Addicted?
The addiction range may vary as per the person and the body. The family history and a history of an abused childhood, early exposure to the drugs, low self-esteemed teenage situations, people with mental disorders have a high chance to be exposed to the drug and drug addiction.
Signs of Addiction
Watch out for these signs!
- Seeming weak and suffering while trying to quit
- Spending more money and investing more time in drug usage rather than considering your productive time
- Showcasing the characteristics of stealing, harming and lying to attain the drug
- Feeling lonely and depressive in its absence
- Not taking care of your health, looks studies or profession and losing track of your daily chores
- using drugs in inappropriate times and losing the fear of everything or having extreme fear
- An urge to take it every single day
- Taking overdose and trying to cut down the reality side
What is Illicit Trafficking?
Illicit trafficking suggests the smuggling of trafficking of illegal substances which can be considered harmful and destructive for society and humankind. Such substances are banned and strictly kept aback by the law and administration. But if any person tries to gain it and transport it for massive usage or financial benefits, it can be considered as illicit trafficking.
Activities For The Day?
As promoting awareness regarding drug abuse and illicit trafficking you can involve in various activities. Some of the interesting ways you can influence others to be seriously aware of the day are:
Use Social Media as the Right Weapon!
- As social media has a huge impact upon the world and young minds, it is always easy to educate everyone altogether easily on social media platforms. If you are a social media person with a sufficient number of followers, you can put an educating video or post or an article for others to read and realize.
- You can also introduce a popular person to the platform and ask them to educate the people and go on a live program or interview session with them
- You can ask a drug abuse recovered person to share their heart touching story, just like the influence of ted talks and josh talks.
- Use the right hashtags and try to let your words spread all over the media
- Make short quotes and phrases for people to read and reflect
- You can also write an interesting piece of a poem or paint an interesting piece of art or any form of talent highlighting the ill effects of drug and the terrific nature of illicit trafficking.
- Conduct a webinar or seminar
- Include the Narcotic group or resource persons from the narcotic department
Real- Life Stories Have Their Impact!
- You can ask a recovered person to share their stories and create an impact upon other people
- If you are aware of anyone story, you can share it to influence others without mentioning their identity
- You can introduce the real-life stories, articles, autobiographies, and books or novels
- Be a strong influence to make someone’s life better
Visit those who struggle alone
- You might be aware of some people around you, who are in the chains of drug abuse and find it hard to come out of it. Also, you can advise them to see a doctors help and console them, it is not wrong and all they need is a helping hand
- Try visiting hospitals. You can make friends amidst the suffering ones and give them hope and encouragement.
Never Silence the Pain
- If you are one of the suffering ones, there is still time to resolve
- Speak up and ask for help
- If you are a parent, who sees this, be patient and seek medical help. Never try to silence it and cause pressure inside the person.
- Get help and sought found for the others
- Get the advice of a medical expert or psychologist
It’s Not a Wrong Life! It’s Just a Wrong Choice!
- Let’s Wipe Out the Stigma of Guilt!
- The recovering patients in the de addiction centers find psychological issues due to the intense guild. So it is equally necessary to build good mental health in the recovering ones.
- If you are a parent who witness this, never panic, and create a mental trauma upon the child, all you need is to create awareness of de addiction and bring up strong mental health inside the child or dear ones.
It’s a Crime!
Once you see the truth behind the drug abuse and reality of the illicit trafficking, you need to back off. But, if you find it hard to lose grip of it, the government and narcotic department have a strict law to enforce upon you. Be aware of the penalties and the laws enforced. You can also highlight these and use them as a tool for educating the legal phase and seriousness of the crime.
Offences And its Penalties
|Offences||Penalty||Sections of the Act|
|Cultivation of coca plants or opium, cannabis without a license||Punishment: Rigorous imprisonment-up to 10 years + fine up to Rs.1 lakh||Opium 18(c) Cannabis 20 Coca-16|
|The embezzlement of opium by licensed farmer||Rigorous imprisonment of up to 10 to 20 years + fine Rs.1 to 2 lakhs (regardless of the quantity)||19|
|The manufacture, production, sale, possession, transport, purchase, import/export inter-state, or use of psychotropic substances and narcotic drugs.||For a small number of drugs, the punishment is still rigorous imprisonment for up to 6 months or a fine of Rs.10,000 or both. More than a little quantity but less than business quantity would result in rigorous imprisonment for up to 10 years + fine up to Rs.1 Lakhs. And commercial/Business quantity would attract rigorous imprisonment of 10 to 20 years + a fine of Rs.1 to 2 Lakhs.||Prepared opium-17 Opium 18 Cannabis 20 Manufactured drugs or their preparations-21 Psychotropic substances -22|
|The import or export or transshipment of psychotropic substances narcotic drugs.||Same as above||23|
|External dealings in NDPS-i.e. controlling and engaging in trade wherein drugs are supplied to an individual outside India and drugs are also obtained from outside India.||Rigorous imprisonment 10 to 20 years + a fine of Rs. 1 to 2 lakhs (Regardless of the quantity)||24|
|Knowingly allowing oneâ€™s premises to be used for committing an offence||Same as for the offence||25|
|Violations about controlled substances (precursors).||Rigorous imprisonment up to 10 years + fine Rs. 1 to 2 lakhs||25A|
|Financing traffic and harboring offenders||Rigorous imprisonment 10 to 20 years + fine Rs. 1 to 2 lakhs||27A|
|Attempts, abetment and criminal conspiracy||Same as for the offence||Attempts-28 Abetment and criminal conspiracy 29|
|Preparation to commit an offence||Half the punishment for the offence||30|
|Repeat offence||In most cases, the punishment is One and half times the penalty for the offence. And the death penalty in some cases.||31 Death 31A|
|Consumption of drugs||Morphine, cocaine, heroin -Punishment is Rigorous imprisonment up to 1 year or fine up to Rs.20,000 or both. And for consumption of some other drugs- Imprisonment up to 6 months or fine up to Rs.10, 000 or both. And there is immunity from the legal proceedings provided to addicts if he/she volunteering for treatment.||27 Immunity 64A|
|Punishment for violations not elsewhere specified||Imprisonment for up to six months or fine or both.||32|
International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking: Quotes
- I understood, through rehab, things about creating characters. I understood that creating whole people means knowing where we come from, how we can make a mistake and how we overcome things to make ourselves stronger. – Samuel L. Jackson
- The best idea and the best expression of it amount to nothing without action to back them up. – Unknown
- People become attached to their burdens sometimes more than the burdens are attached to them. – George Bernard Shaw
- Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fail. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- One of the hardest things was learning that I was worth recovery. – Demi Lovato
- Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.– Mahatma Gandhi
- That which does not kill us makes us stronger.– Friedrich Nietzsche
- Quitting smoking is easy. I’ve done it a hundred times.– Mark Twain
- Addiction is just a way of trying to get at something else. Something bigger. Call it transcendence if you want, but it’s a rat in a maze. We all want the same thing. We all have this hole. The thing you want offers relief, but it’s a trap. – Tess Callahan
- Recovery is hard. Regret is harder. – Brittany Burgunder
- You can’t defeat the darkness by keeping it caged inside of you. – Seth Adam Smith
- I avoid looking forward or backwards, and try to keep looking upward. – Charlotte Brontë
International Day Against Drug abuse And Illicit Trafficking: Thoughts to Reflect
- Are drugs worth damaging your health?
- Does drugs abuse cause happiness inside relationships
- Does the pleasure of the drug stay forever?
- What kills you is your enemy, not your companion
- What damages your body, mind and life is the result of your choice, You always have a choice.
- Choose the right! Save your life!
Read and Recover: Books
- Girl Walks Out of a Bar: A Memoir by Lisa Smith
- Parched by Heather King
- Between Breaths: A Memoir of Panic and Addiction by Elizabeth Vargas
- Blackout Girl: Growing Up and Drying Out in America by Jennifer Strom
- Confessions of an English Opium Eater by Thomas De Quincey
- Dreamland: The True Tale of America’s Opiate Epidemic by Sam Quinones
- Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster by Kristen Johnson
- How to Murder Your Life by Cat Marnell
- The Harder They Fall: Celebrities Tell Their Real-Life Stories of Addiction and Recovery edited by Gary Stromberg and Jane Miles
- High on Arrival by Mackenzie Phillips
- Girl bomb: A Halfway Homeless Memoir by Janice Erlbaum
- A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown
- Terry: My Daughter’s Life-and-Death Struggle with Alcoholism by George McGovern
- Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget by Sarah Hepola
- Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp
- Unwifeable: A Memoir by Mandy Stadtmiller
How Can You Help? Be the Hero in Someone’s Story
- Mostly, in the cases of drug abuse, the victim faces extreme depression and in usual cases, they lose track of themselves. There is a real opportunity for you to start a new realm of hope
- You can start an organization invoking awareness and campaigns
- You can motivate others to come forward to the organization to can be a helping hand to those who are struggling silently
- Educate the parents and the dear ones of the victim to understand the medical need
- Try to evoke awareness in schools and colleges
- June 26 stands as the perfect day to showcase morals to the world
International day against drug abuse and illicit trafficking stands as a strong influence for many youngsters to come forward and strongly oppose illegal drugs.
We recently lost a young man to drug abuse. The reason why we couldn’t save him was the unawareness of his situation. In many cases, people and parents are unaware of the life struggles other people are going through. Sometimes it’s a matter of choice and sometimes it is just a matter of medical support. Drug abuse seeks medical help and once you see the real need for that, stand strong to help the person to recover.
The journey of recovery will be harsh and difficult, the recovered state will be smooth and tranquil. So encourage the drug-addicted victims to rehab, reborn and relive! It isn’t the end, it’s just a phase!