Table of Contents
Due to India’s daunting female foeticide history the Child Sex Ratio, which shows the number of girls per 1000 boys between the ages 0-6, came down to 900 in 2015 from 918 in 2011. The numbers even dipped to 800 in some of the northern states, making it affecting the overall stability of the population growth. In 2008, the Ministry of Women and Child Development started the National Girl Child Day to spread awareness about the inequalities faced by the girl child among the people and to ensure that they get equal opportunities and exposure. Even today our government is active in propagating this awareness program through various campaigns like “Beti Padhavo, Beti Bachao” to abolish the female foeticide and to create a healthy and safe environment for a girl.
National Girl Child Day 2024
The decreasing sex ratio in the age group of 0-6years has a cascading effect on the population over a period of time. The imbalance created by this diminishing rates will haunt India’s stability and growth for a while. The decline in the Child Sex Ratio is a major indicator of women disempowerment. It reflects both, pre-birth discrimination manifested through gender-biased sex selection, and post-birth discrimination against girls. Certain groups still prefer a boy over a girl child and kill the female foeticides during the early stages of pregnancy. To stop these illegal abortions and to spread awareness against this social stigma, in 2008 then Ministry of Women & Child Development introduced the Girl Child Day. The day is celebrated across India through various programmes, including awareness campaigns for promoting a healthy and safe environment for the girl child. BETI BACHAO BETI PADHAO (BBBP) scheme is the latest addition to this.
BETI BACHAO BETI PADHAO (BBBP)
Beti Bachao Beti Padhavo scheme was launched in January 2015 at Panipat in Haryana. All India Expansion of BBBP covering all 640 districts was launched at Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan on 8th March 2018. This scheme has made a change, people are proud of their girl child, but still, society is not yet ready to give them their due. BBBP is a the tri-ministerial effort of Ministries of Women and Child Development, Health & Family Welfare and Human Resource Development. It is a Central Sector Scheme with 100% financial assistance for District level component and the fund are directly released to the DC/DM’s account for the smooth operation of the Scheme.
In the last couple of years, India celebrated this day with empowering messages, video and social media campaigns like #selfiewithdaughter, #helpthemtogrow,togrowIndia, etc. This year’s theme & campaign ideas are yet to be published by the Ministry. We will update you, once the 2021 National Child Day theme is out. In 2020, the day is celebrated with the theme of ‘Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow‘.
- National Child Day: January 24
- International Day of the Girl: October 11 (organized by UNICEF)
National Girl Child Day 2024 Quotes
Here are some empowering quotes for the girl child by the girls’ and women’ rights activist and writers.
- I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life’s a bitch. You’ve got to go out and kick ass. – Maya Angelou
- Achieving gender equality is about disrupting the status quo – not negotiating it. – Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka
- All girls know that they can be anything now. That transformation is to be one of the most satisfying things. – Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
- Girls know that education is their only path to self-sufficiency. It is their only chance to shape their own fate rather than having the limits of their lives dictated to them by others. – Michelle Obama
- We should be respectful but we must also have the courage to stop harmful practices that impoverish girls, women and their communities. – Graca Machel
National Girl Child Day 2024 Quiz
- Which Union Minister started the National Girl Child Day celebration?
Ans: Renuka Chowdhury
- When did the Union government proclaim the Girl Child Day celebration?
- Who launched the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP?
Ans: Narendra Modi
- Where did the Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme got launched?
Ans: Launched on 22 January 2015 by PM Narendra Modi in Haryana
- What is the latest available Child Sex Ration (CSR) of India?
Ans: Based on the latest Sample Registration System (SRS) survey, the CSR is 899 (2018)
Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming examinations. Start your Preparation today itself. Entri will help you with thousands of questions. Attempt mock tests, analyze yourselves to improve your success rate.