Table of Contents
After graduation Candidates are in search for a better career option that provides reputed job profile,job security etc. Nowadays government job is in high demand. The most preferred jobs by candidates are Jobs in railways and banks . Both sectors have their own advantages. candidates often get confused with which career option is better? Railway or Bank jobs. In this article we will go through the advantages and disadvantages of both sectors to help candidates to overcome their dilemma.
Railway vs Bank jobs-Which is better
To Understand jobs in which sector will provide a promising future one must know the benefits & disadvantages of that sector. However both sectors along with some pros has cons also. In this article we will list advantages & disadvantages of working in railways and banking sector. Now let’s take a look at the benefits of working in railway sector below.
Working in Railways
The Indian Railways is one of the world’s largest biggest employers with 1.4 million people as a workforce. Railway is the backbone of Indian economy. Being a Public Sector job, it attracts a lot of attention for its stability in employment from among candidates who are graduate or under graduate for smaller roles to higher job roles. For higher positions candidates have to crack some of the most prestigious examinations in the country to be hired.
Benefits of Railway Jobs
- Railway pays good salary along with basic pay employees enjoy benefits of Grade Pay, Dearness Allowance, Travel Allowance, House Rent Allowance ,medical allowances and many more.
- Railway jobs are recession free and has no pay cuts.
- Candidates can get job in railway with sports quota which is an added benefit from other sectors.
- Training Programs for employees at all levels to ensure your professional growth.
- In case of death while in service ,on compassionate grounds your family member can get a job.
- Other than training railways provides employees with extended study leave for higher education at railways expense.
- No ‘Hire & Fire’ policy -The main highlight of government job is the job security where you don’t worry about losing our job.
- Railways provide it’s employees with free & good quality medical facilities at any of the hospitals in railways network.
- Accommodation in railway colonies.most of the employees make use of the residential quarters provided by railways.
- Railway has it’s own school &college where employees children’s are provided with good education facilities free of cost.
- Provides Good work environment.
- Like an other government job employees are benefited with pensions,which is a lifetime financial security’
- Subsidised meals-employees are entitled with subsidised meals from railway canteens across the nation.
- Free rail passes to employees to travel to any part of India.
Cons of working in railways
With lot of boons in working in railways there is also some cons. Listed below are the few disadvantages-
- No Fixed Shifts: Not conventional work shifts, often invading personal family space. You will be called to work at any time.
- Dealing with the Bureaucracy & Unions: when you work in railways, sometimes procedures and approvals are very slow that simple tasks may take months to get approved or never get done at all leading in disruption of work. Also, as a Group A officer you will often have to deal with the demands of the unions and groups who will be required to carry your work on the ground.
- Moderate Pay: the amount of money you will earn will be a lot less than what your peers in the private sector will earn.
- Transfers: Transfers are a bane of working in the government or defence services hence family stability is often disrupted
- Promotions: Career growth is not as directly related to merit as it is in the private sector. The promotion typically depends on seniority.
- Extremely competitive to get the jobs like any government sector.
Click here to know about RRB NTPC .
Banking Jobs offer excellent benefits like excellent pay, medical protection, holidays, job security, work-life balance and timely career growth and progression, which makes it one of the most sought after employment opportunities in the market today. Among the many benefits offered by public sector banking career, retirement benefits is one of the main reasons due to which candidates have favoured Bank Jobs.
Benefits of Banking Jobs
- Good salary packages along with added benefits like Dearness Allowance (DA), House Rent Allowance,Special Allowance, Compensatory City Allowance,Travelling Allowance ,Medical aid etc.
- Career Growth – Performance and potential are key elements which determine this career progression of employees. Many public sector banks have foreign branches so they will send employees on deputation. Thus, a Public Sector (PSU) bank gives you an opportunity to work in foreign countries as well .
- Job Security-Pubic sector banks provides job security so that you needn’t worry about losing job.
- Provides work life balance as there is a definite working hours.
- Provides better retirement policy.
- Leased Accommodation
Cons of banking Jobs
Banking job like any other job has it’s own disadvantages like they are often considered boring and less creative, there is no room for error in banking. Job in a bank is very hectic and you have targets to achieve. Pay will be moderate in consideration with private sector banking jobs. Government sector jobs are more competitive than private sector banks with limited vacancies also you must attempt recruitment exams to get the job.
Click here to know about the difference between Public Sector bank jobs and Private Sector Bank jobs.
Hope this article helped you get clear view about railway & bank jobs. Every job has it’sown pros & cons. According to your area of interest you can choose a better option.
How you can use Entri app for your exam preparation:
- Entri provides an online platform to help you prepare for competitive exams.
- Download for free of cost and get access to video classes, exams and study cards with a single subscription.
- You can access full length mock tests and previous year question papers
Hope you have benefited from this article. Check us for further details. Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming exams.