International English Language Testing System is the most popular exam among Indian students for admission to an abroad university. The IELTS exam is available in two formats: IELTS Academic and IELTS General.
If you are planning to go abroad for study purposes, you will have to take the IELTS Academic Test, and If you need it just for visa purposes, you may take IELTS General Test.
IELTS Registration 2024
You can attend the IELTS test on any 48 fixed dates every year. If you are not satisfied with your result, you can attend the exam again, as there is no limit to giving the IELTS test. The IELTS test fee can go up to Rs. 16,250. Thus, you are advised to prepare well for the exam to clear it in one go. The test fee is based on the IELTS test you are applying for. The latest fee is given below:
Latest IELTS Test Distributor in India
|New Cost (INR)
|Pen and paper based IELTS
|Computer-delivered IELTS for UKVI
|IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration
|IELTS Life Skills (A1 and B1)
IDP in India has exclusively distributed IELTS Testing since 25th July 2021. Previously it was conducted by: the British Council, Cambridge English For Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and the International Development Program (IDP).
After you crack your IELTS exam, you can study, work, or migrate to any English-speaking country.
IELTS Exam Application Process
You can either apply for IELTS through an online process or in an offline mode.
Offline IELTS Registration
For offline registration, you must follow the steps below:
1. Download the IELTS registration form from the official website of IDP.
2. Select your preferred test date and time.
3. Fill out the registration form manually. Remember to add an address that is courier serviceable.
4. To make the payment pay by cash to the nearest ICICI bank and get the proof of payment.
5. You can also visit the IDP India office and fill in the application form at the office. Here, you will receive the confirmation of your reservation at once.
Online IELTS Registration
The process through online IELTS registration is very easy. Follow the following steps:
- Visit the official website of IELTS.
- Go to the Register option.
- Then, you have to select the test date and type it according to your preference.
4. Fill in your personal details as asked in the form.
5. In this step, you have to provide all your registration details.
6. Upload a copy of your passport.
7. Select all the colleges you wish to send your IELTS score to.
8. Review all your details carefully before making the final payment.
9. Make the payment through your credit/debit card.
10. Download/Print the acknowledgement slip once the payment is made.
|Name of the applicant
Phone number Gender
Identity proof number
|Level of education
Number of years of studying English
Current studying level in English
|Occupation sector & Occupation level
|Level of education
Number of years of studying English
Current studying level on English
|Reason for IELTS
Check with the table given below to find your occupational code, and fill in the occupation section.
|Agriculture, Fishing, Forestry, Mining
|Arts and Entertainment
|Banking and Finance
|Catering and Leisure
|Craft and design
|Health and Social Services
|Installation, Maintenance and Repair Services
|Law and Legal Services
|Manufacturing and Assembly Industries
|Technical and Scientific
|Telecommunications and Media
You must also fill out a code for an occupational level and the occupational sector.
|Employee (Senior level)
|Employee (Middle or Junior level)
|Worker in home
You must mention your purpose behind taking the IELTS exam, the codes for eligible reasons are given in the table below.
|Reason for IELTS exam
|For higher education, extending 3 months or more
|For higher education extending 3months or less
|For other educational purposes
|For registration as a doctor
|For professional registration (other than medical)
|For personal reasons
|For registration as a nurse (including CGFNS)
|For registration as a dentist
Process After the IELTS Registration
- The candidates who have registered in online mode will receive a mail about the confirmation of the payment. It also provides Free IELTS preparation material, “Road to IELTS”.
- Your IELTS test date will be confirmed once you receive the mail.
- The candidates who applied through the offline mode will get the confirmation receipt, access details and the preparation material within 7 days through mail.
- You must keep these documents safe.
IELTS Exam Centres
The IELTS India exam is conducted and offered on-demand around the year at the following IELTS centres in India:
IELTS Partners has also set up the IELTS Indicator, an online English language test for students who are affected by COVID-19 and are not able to reach the IELTS test center. The IELTS Indicator will evaluate the student’s English language skills in Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. This helps the students to take the test online from their homes.
Cancellation or Rescheduling of IELTS Exam
Rescheduling your IELTS Exam
Candidates who aspire to change their test date or reschedule their IELTS registration have to raise a request for a test day transfer at least five weeks before their already booked test date. Also, the new test date must be within three months of the original test date. Candidates need to pay an administrative charge of INR 3,300 inclusive of all taxes for the transfer of the test date.
- If you cancel your IELTS application more than five weeks before the test date, you will receive a refund excluding a 25% administrative fee.
- If you cancel the IELTS exam less than five weeks ahead of the test date, you will not receive the refund.
- In case you fail to attend for the test, then you will not receive any refund. This is also considered a cancellation.
Those who can produce a medical certificate within 5 days of the test date can get a refund after deducting the local administrative cost.
Apart from this, candidates can also reattempt the exam whenever they want. As there is no limit to giving the IELTS test, candidates can take the IELTS exam as many times as they want or till they reach their dream score. However, each time the candidate has to pay the IELTS exam fee of INR 16,250. Candidates need to go through the IDP IELTS registration every time they want to take the test.