STEM is an abbreviation for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. It consists all the sub disciplines within these fields and STEM graduates are in high demand across various industries. Military science refers to the study of military processes, institutions, and behavior, along with the study of warfare, and the theory and application of organized coercive force. The goal of the study is mainly focused on theory, method, and practice of producing military capability in a manner consistent with national defense policy. Military serves and recognizes the strategic, political, economic, psychological, social, operational, technological, and tactical elements important to sustain relative advantage of military force; and to enhance the likelihood and favorable outcomes of win in peace or during a war. Military scientists consists of theorists, researchers, experimental scientists, applied scientists, designers, engineers, test technicians, and other military personnel.
The present blog is curated to help the aspirants with a list of top career options in defence for doctors and engineers. If the candidate has passion for science and service, then here are some interesting STEM careers in the army that the candidate can pursue.The interested and eligible candidates are advised to stay updated regarding the various aspects of the examinations. All the notifications and information will be released by the official website of the examination. Candidates are expected to stay updated and plan their preparation accordingly.
Corps of Engineers
- It is one of the oldest organisations in the Indian Army.
- It contains three divisions –
- Combat Engineers
- Military Engineering Service (MES)
- Border Roads Organisation
I Combat Engineers
- The primary role of combat engineers is to enable the movement of the Indian Army during war and peacetime
- The engineers construct bridges, highways, helipads, airfields, lay mines, etc. on the fronts
- Combat engineers are also trained in armed conflict and they fight alongside the infantry in wars.
- Combat Engineers are further divided into Madras, Bengal, and Bombay Sappers. Sappers are qualified engineers who are also trained in combat.
- The word ‘sappers’ is derived from the technical term – sapping – which essentially means digging trenches on the battlefield.
II Military Engineering Services
- MES is considered as one of the largest construction agencies in the country. It is a premier engineering arm of the defence ministry that supports the army, navy, and airforce.
- MES engineers are responsible for the construction, maintenance of buildings, dock installations, military roads, furniture, etc. needed by the army.
- They also assist in the construction of national highways in the country.
III Border Roads Organisation
- The unit is responsible for constructing roads in inaccessible areas which are also the borders of the country – such as the Himalayan mountains, Thar Desert, North Eastern terrain, etc.
- They are also responsible for aiding the movement of troops stationed in remote areas.
- The construction initiatives of the Border Roads Organisation have greatly contributed to the economic development of these areas.
Steps to Join the Indian Army Corps of Engineers
- To join the Corps of Engineers in the Indian Army, the candidate will need to have a PCM combination in class XII.
- The candidate also need to qualify for JEE and complete BE/BTech in civil or mechanical engineering
- The candidate will be required to apply through technical entries such as TES (Technical Entry Scheme) and TGC (Technical Graduate Course) for a permanent commission
- The applicants may also apply through SSC (Tech) – Short Service Commission. Women are not eligible for combat roles. However, the candidates can apply for other engineering services.
Corps of Signals
- Corps of Signals is a combat-assisting arm of the Indian Army
- –It assists during war and peacetime
- It gives full-scale communication and cybersecurity to the three forces
- The main goal is creating a suave system of integrated communication between the headquarters and the troops on the ground
- They also contribute to the intelligence network that assists the army.
- Corps of Signals is commonly known as the nerves of the army because the troops receive details through the foremen of signals or information warriors
- The said intelligence is processed into an action plan at the headquarters by senior officers
- Corps of Signals play a crucial role today in times of technological warfare.
Steps to Join the Indian Army Corps of Signals
- To join the Corps of Signals in the Indian Army, the candidates need to have a PCM combination in class XII
- The candidates also need to qualify for JEE and complete BE/BTech in electronics or computer science engineering
- Both men and women can apply through TES, TGC and SSC (Tech) routes.
Army Medical Corps
- Indian Army Medical Corps is a supreme unit that provides medical services to all army personnel and their families
- The candidates can apply to join the corps after graduation as a commissioned officer and rise up the ranks
- The applicants can apply through both short service commission and permanent commission entries to become a medical officer.
Steps To Join the Army Medical Corps
- To join AMC, the candidate will need to opt for PCB in Class XII and qualify for NEET
- If the candidate get the opportunity to complete their medical course from Armed Forces Medical College, Pune then the chances of the candidate getting a permanent commission are higher because of the reservation policy
- About 50% of the graduates get a PC and the remaining 50% get an SSC. In the SSC route, the candidate are required to serve a minimum period of 7 years and this can be extended to another 7 years
- Making the total tenure 14 years after the extensions
- Additionally, graduates from civil medical colleges recognised by the Medical Council of India (MCI) can become commissioned officers through the same route
- The maximum age limit is 45 years. Both male and female graduates (including MD, MS, MCH, DM) may join as medical officers.
Army Dental Corps
- Indian Army Dental Corps is a specialised unit that provides dental services to all army personnel, including veterans and their families
- The candidate can apply to join these corps as a dental officer.
Steps To Join the Army Dental Corps
- To join the ADC, the procedurs are similar to those of the medical corps
- The candidate will need to complete their BDS/MDS from an army dental college or a DCI recognised college
- The candidate will also need to complete a year of internship recognised by the DCI and obtain a dental certificate
- The candidate can join the corps through the SSC, where the tenure is 5 years
- It can be extended for 5 more years and then another 4 years, making it a total of 14 years.
- Once the candidate finish 2 years of the SSC, you are eligible to apply for a permanent commission.
Remount Veterinary Corps
- This is one of the oldest units responsible for breeding, rearing, and training all the animals used in the Indian Army.
Steps to join the Remount Veterinary Corps
- Only male candidates can apply through SSC after completing a BVSc/AH degree from any of the recognised Indian universities or its equivalent foreign degree
- On clearing the interview, the candidate will be commissioned at the rank of captain. You will receive training at the RVC Centre & College, Meerut.
- The candidate total tenure can last up to 10 years.
these are some of the top career opportunities available for the aspirants in working in the Indian Army. To be eligible for the aforementioned roles, all aspirants have to clear medical fitness tests at designated centres and clear the SSB (Service Selection Board) Interview.
I hope this article was helpful. The key point to clear an exam lies in methodical and planned preparation. If you are a candidate who wants to pursue your dream career and looking for a good start, our Entri app has got it covered for you. Our team will help you with content and insights related to the topics of your concern. Subscribe to our app today and enrol yourself into various programmes our app offers. Tune in to the app to stay updated regarding various aspects of the subject you are interested in. Feel free to post any queries and doubts in the comment section. We will try our best to reach out. Push away all those self-doubts and negative thoughts. Try to have a clear vision. Ask yourself why you want this. Focus on the good and work hard. There is a saying that goes like this, Get up and set your shoulders to the wheel-how long is life for you? as you have come to this world leave some mark behind or where is the difference between your trees and stones they too come into existence decay and die. Each day is a precious gift bestowed upon us so make it count. Work on yourself. Stop procrastinating. Today is the day, hope for the best. Good luck.