Current affairs is one of the inevitable and compulsive topic in almost every competitive examinations. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for mastering these current affairs section. In this article, we have provided the top weekly current affairs from June 08 to June 14, 2020 which will help all aspirants to improve scores in their competitive examination like PSC, SSC, RRB and Banking.
Top Weekly Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2020 June 08 to June 14
Here are the list of top current affairs of the week June 08 to June 14, 2020 which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking etc.
AP Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launches India’s 1st online waste management platform
- On the occasion of World Environment Day on 05 June 2020, the Government of Andhra Pradesh launched an ‘Online Waste Management Platform’ for the management of liquid waste, hazardous and non-hazardous solid waste and air pollutants.
- The State Department of Environmental Management, APEMC, will take over responsibility of the online platform.
- APEMC has been set up as a government company to handle the industrial waste & will work in coordination with Andhra Pradesh Pollution Control Board(APPCB) with a strong regulatory framework.
UNADAP appoints 13 year old Madurai girl Nethra as ‘Goodwill Ambassador to the Poor’
- On June 5, 2020 The United Nations Association for Development And Peace(UNADAP) appointed 13 year old Madurai girl Nethra as its ‘Goodwill Ambassador to the Poor’.
- The 13-year-old girl convinced her father to give Rs 5 lakh that he saved for her education to the needy during the coronavirus lockdown.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his Mann ki Baat programme appreciated Nethra and her family.
June 8: World Oceans Day
- World Oceans Day is celebrated by the United Nations on June 8.
- The Day is celebrated to remind people all over the world about the importance of oceans in everyday life.
- This year, the World Oceans Day is celebrated under the Theme ‘Innovation for a Sustainable Ocean’.
Javed Akhtar: First Indian to receive Richard Dawkins Award
- Javed Akhtar has become the first Indian to receive the Richard Dawkins award.
- Javed Akhtar is a renowned lyricist in the Indian film industry. He was awarded Padma Shri in 1999.He has also won the Sahitya Akademi award and Padma Bhushan.
- The Richard Dawkins award is presented by the Atheist Alliance of America (an NGO). The awards are presented to those distinguished individuals that come from the world of scholarship, science, education or environment and proclaim values of rationalism, secularism upholding scientific truth.
Monika Kapil Mohta appointed as Indian Ambassador to Switzerland
- Monika Kapil Mohta (IFS officer 1985 batch) has been appointed as the Ambassador of India to Switzerland.
- She will replace Sibi George, the new Ambassador of India to Kuwait.
- Monika currently serves as the Ambassador of India to Sweden.
- She had worked as an Ambassador to Poland and Lithuania and as a director to Nehru Centre (Culture) at the high commission of U.K.
MoRTH mandates distinct colour band for BS-VI vehicles
- The order makes it mandatory for the BS VI vehicles to carry a green strip of 1 cm width on the top of the existing sticker.
- The sticker should carry details of registration of BS-VI vehicle and its fuel type.The sticker should carry details of registration of BS-VI vehicle and its fuel type.
- The petrol fuel vehicles should hold orange colour and diesel fuel vehicles should carry a blue colour.
India secured 168 rank in the 12th edition of EPI 2020
- Environmental Performance Index (EPI) 2020 has been released providing a state of sustainability using 32 performance indicators.
- India is ranked 168th with a score of 27.6 out of 100 in 2020.
- The index is topped by Denmark (82.5%), followed by Luxembourg and Switzerland.Among South Asian countries, Bhutan (107 rank) topped the list followed by Sri Lanka.
ARPIT: Airborne Rescue Pod for Isolated Transportation by Indian Air Force
- The Indian Air Force recently developed the Airborne Rescue Pod for Isolated Transportation (ARPIT).
- The pod is to be used to evacuate critical patients that are suffering from COVID-19.
- It is a lightweight transparent and durable isolation system made from aviation certified material with a cost of Rs 60,000.
- The Indian Air Force has used indigenous materials to develop ARPIT. This has been done in the intention of boosting Make in India initiative.
Athlete Gomathi Marimuthu banned for doping charges
- Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) has banned athlete Gomathi Marimuthu for 4-years after testing positive for banned substances.
- She bagged the gold medal in the 800m track in the 2019 Asian athletics championship.
- She was tested positive for anabolic steroid nandrolone.
- All her medals, titles, ranking points, prize, appearance money are to be forfeited.
Asia’s Nobel Prize-Ramon Magsaysay Awards cancelled
- Manila, Philippines based foundation that gives out Ramon Magsaysay Award announced that the awards are being cancelled due to COVID-19.
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award has been cancelled thrice in 6 decades. The awards were cancelled for the first time in 1970 due to the financial crisis.
- The award is considered as the Nobel Prize of Asia. It was established in 1957.
IIT Mandi researchers develop make high efficiency masks from waste plastic bottles
- Indian Institute of Technology Mandi researchers claim to have developed a technology for making high-efficiency masks using waste pet bottles.
- The researchers have filed a patent for the waste plastic bottles derived filter membrane technology based on electrospinning.
- The waste plastic bottles were used to develop a single thin layer of the nano-nonwoven membrane.
- It provides desirable particle filtration efficiency which is equal to the N95 respirator and a medical mask.
DIAT develops nano-technology based disinfectant spray to combat COVID-19
- The Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT), Pune has developed a nano-technology based disinfectant spray to combat the COVID-19 pandemic. The formulation has been named Ananya.
- Ananya disinfectant spray is effective in disinfecting all types of surfaces.
- The spray can be used on masks, Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs), hospital linens, and other likely contaminated surfaces like medical instruments, elevator buttons, doorknobs, corridors, and rooms.
Ministry of Human Resource Development released NIRF Ranking
- On June 11, 2020, the Ministry of Human Resource Development released the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) for the educational institutions in the country.
- The IIT Madras topped the list followed by IISc Bangalore. The third place was secured by IIT Delhi.
- The NIRF ranking system was launched in 2015. The first NIRF ranking was released in 2016.
June 12: World Day against Child Labour
- Every year, the World Day against Child Labour is celebrated on June 12.
It was launched by the International Labour Organization, a United Nations body. The World Day against Child Labour was launched in 2002.
- The day aims to bring the problem of child labour to the attention of the people all over the world.
Shobha Shekhar to be conferred with Medal of the Order of Australia 2020
- Shobha Sekhar, founder of Kalakruthi, a music organisation in Australia will be conferred the Medal of the Order of Australia later this year.
- She is a management graduate and has been training students in Carnatic music for the past 12 years.
- She has presented several concerts in Australia and the world.
Indian-American scientist Rattan Lal wins 2020 World Food Prize
- Eminent soil scientist Rattan Lal has been awarded with 2020 World Food Prize (WFP) for developing soil-centric approach to increase food production, conserves natural resources and mitigates climate change feeding a large population.
- The Prize has been given by WFP Foundation since 1986. Winners receive 2.5 lakh dollar.
- Its mission is to elevate innovations and inspire action to sustainably increase the quality and availability of food for all.
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for Kerala PSC Examination with Entri.