Current affairs is one of the inevitable and compulsive topic in almost every competitive examinations. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for mastering these current affairs section. In this article, we have provided the top weekly current affairs from August 31 to September 06, 2020 which will help all aspirants to improve scores in their competitive examination like PSC, SSC, RRB and Banking.
Top Weekly Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2020 August 31 to September 06
Here are the list of top current affairs of the week August 31 to September 06, 2020 which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking etc.
Amul (16th) becomes first Indian dairy company to be in Rabobank’s Global Top 20 list
- Amul (16th) becomes first Indian dairy company to be in Rabobank’s Global Top 20 list; Top- Nestle.
- Amul, Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) has been ranked 16th in the Rabobank’s Global Top 20 Dairy Companies list. Amul has achieved an annual turnover of $5.5 billion.
- Switzerland’s Nestle topped the list with a turnover of US $22.1 billion. Amul is the first Indian company to enter the top 20 ranking of Rabobank’s Global Top 20 Dairy Companies list.
Usha Padhee becomes first woman DG of Bureau of Civil Aviation Security
- Usha Padhee, joint secretary in the Ministry of Civil Aviation, has been given additional charge as director general of the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS).
- Padhee is the first woman and third IAS officer to have been appointed to the post.
- Earlier, IPS officer Rakesh Asthana was given charge of the BCAS. He has now been moved to the Border Security Force (BSF) as director general.
Rajiv Gandhi International Airport wins CII-GBC ‘National Energy Leader’ award
- The GMR led Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (Hyderabad International Airport) won the ‘National Energy Leader’ and ‘Excellent Energy Efficient Unit’ awards at the 21st National Awards for ‘Excellence in Energy Management’.
- It was organized by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) and Godrej Green Business Centre (GBC).
- The award was given to RINL also during the 19th edition of ‘Energy Efficiency Summit’, Virtual Conference and Exposition on Energy Efficiency held from August 6-28, 2020.
Former President Pranab Mukherjee passes away
- Former president Pranab Mukherjee, who had recently undergone a surgery for removal of a clot in his brain, has passed away. He was 84.
- Prior to the surgery, Mukherjee had also tested positive for COVID-19.
- Bharat Ratna (2019)
- Padma Vibhushan (2008)
- The Turbulent Years: 1980–1996
- The Coalition Years: 1996–2012
- The Dramatic Decade: The Indira Gandhi Years
INDRA 2020: India-Russia to conduct Naval drills in Andaman Sea
- India and Russia are to hold bilateral naval exercise INDRA 2020 in Andaman Sea, close to the strategic Strait of Malacca.
- The exercise is being conducted while the Indian Navy is on high operational alert due to the standoff with China in Ladakh.
- Three Russian Naval ships are to take part in the exercise on September 4 and 5. The exercise comes just after India withdrew from the Kavkaz-2020 multinational exercise that is to be held in Russia.
India’s 1st female cardiologist Dr S. Padmavati passes away
- Noted cardiologist, Dr S Padmavati passed away at the age of 103 years due to COVID-19.
- She was the first female cardiologist of India and was popularly known as ”GodMother of Cardiology”.
- She was the founder of the National Heart Institute.
- She was born in Burma (now Myanmar) in 1917, a year before the world was hit by the Spanish Flu pandemic.
India ranks 48th in Global Innovation Index 2020
- India has joined the group of top 50 countries in the global innovation index for the first time, moving up four places to the 48th rank and keeping the top position among the nations in central and southern Asia.
- India ranks in the top 15 in indicators such as ICT (Information and Communication Technology) services exports, government online services, graduates in science and engineering, and R&D-intensive global companies.
- Switzerland, Sweden, the US, the UK and the Netherlands lead the innovation ranking, and the top 5 positions are dominated by high-income countries.
Mustapha Adib appointed as new Prime Minister of Lebanon
- Lebanese diplomat, Mustapha Adib, country’s envoy to Germany, has been appointed as the Prime Minister of Lebanon.
- The 48-year-old replaces Hassan Diab.
- Adib received support from 90 of 120 MPs to become the new Prime Minister of Lebanon and to form the government on 31 August 2020
- He had served as the ambassador of Lebanon to Germany from 2013 to 2020.
Kerala’s first open university to be named after Sree Narayana Guru
- Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan announced that Kerala will get its first open university which will be named after social reformer Sree Narayana Guru.
- The university will come into existence on October 2nd Gandhi Jayanthi.
- The new Open University will be established in Kollam.
A new book titled “Let Us Dream” by Pope Francis
- Pope Francis is set to release the book “Let Us Dream” in December 2020.
- In the book, Pope Francis explains how a crisis can teach an individual to deal with problems they face in their lives.
- He cites three major crises from his own personal life.
V K Yadav named as the first CEO of Railway Board
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment of VK Yadav as the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Railway Board. He will be the first to hold such a post in the railway’s history.
- Presently he is the chairman of the Railway Board. The chairman and CEO will be the cadre controlling officer responsible for human resources (HR).
- Apart from this, the Indian Railway Medical Service (IRMS) will be renamed the Indian Railway Health Service (IRHS).
India’s First Regional Voters’ Awareness Centre to Come Up in Jaipur
- Election Commission of India (ECI) will set up the country’s first regional voters’ awareness centre in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- It will cater to four states — Rajasthan, Haryana, Punjab and Madhya Pradesh.
- The centre will carry out various awareness activities under the Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) programme.
- Sunil Arora is the present Chief Election Commissioner.
Assam’s first Newspaper for Kids ‘The Young Minds’ launched
- Two Guwahati-based women entrepreneurs have launched a newspaper specifically designed for kids, to promote creative thinking among children and inculcate in them the habit to read and write.
- The newspaper named ‘The Young Minds‘ is the brainchild of Neelam Sethia and Neha Bajaj. The first copy of The Young Minds is scheduled to release in November.
- The Young Minds, reportedly, will cater to kids of 4-14 years of age.
Athijeevanam Keraliyam Scheme 2020
- Kerala Athijeevanam Keraliyam Scheme has been declared by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
- In this plan, the Kerala government will give work to around 50,000 individuals in the current money related year.
- This plan will be actualized under the CM Local Employment Assurance Program (LEAP) of the state government.
- The new Athijeevanam Keraleeyam Scheme has 5 segments specifically Yuva Kerala Project, Connect to Work, EDP-K, ARISE, and KMEDP.
Indian GM P. Iniyan wins World Open Online Chess Tournament
- Indian Grandmaster Panneerselvam Iniyan won the 48th edition of the prestigious Annual World Open online chess tournament held recently.
- The Tamil Nadu player scored 7.5 points from nine games with six victories and three draws to finish on top.
- The 17-year-old Iniyan tied his score with GM Sanan Sjugirov (Russia) but emerged winner because of a better tie-break score.
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for Kerala PSC Examination with Entri.