Current affairs is one of the inevitable and compulsive topic in almost every competitive examinations. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for mastering these current affairs section. In this article, we have provided the top weekly current affairs from January 18 to 24, 2021 which will help all aspirants to improve scores in their competitive examination like PSC, SSC, RRB and Banking.
Attempt Daily Current Affairs Quiz for free! Download App!
Top Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2021 January 18 to 24
Here are the list of top current affairs of the week January 18 to 24, 2021 which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking etc.
Gujarat state government has renamed dragon fruit as ‘Kamalam’
- The Gujarat state government has renamed dragon fruit as ‘Kamalam’.
- The move has kept the internet in splits and many criticized it using the hashtag #SanskariFruitSabzi.
- As per Gujarat Chief Minister, the dragon fruit has been renamed Kamalam because of the shape of the fruit.
- The state government has applied for the patent of the fruit named Kamalam.
India’s first COVID-19 Vaccine recipient is Manish Kumar
- Manish Kumar, a sanitation worker in Delhi, became the first person to receive the COVID-19 vaccine in India.
- PM Modi flagged off the nationwide vaccination drive on 16 January 2021.
- Manish Kumar was given the injection at AIIMS in Delhi while Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan was also present.
India’s longest Road Arch Bridge inaugurated in Meghalaya
- Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma inaugurated India’s longest road arch bridge “Wahrew Bridge” at Sohbar in East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya on 22 January 2021.
- The arch bridge has been constructed at an estimated cost of Rs 49.395 crore under the Non-Lapsable Central Pool of Resources (NLCPR) of the Ministry of Development of North East Region (DoNER).
- The iconic structure is expected to boost the tourism sector in the State.
46th US President while Kamala Harris as 49th Vice President
- Joseph Robinette Biden Jr., famous as Joe Biden, has been sworn in as the 46th president of the United States.
- The 78-year– old, Biden took the oath of the office on 20 January 2021, becoming the oldest president in American history.
- Apart from this, Kamala Harris took oath as 49th Vice President of the country, becoming the first women to hold the post in the history of United States.
- She is even the first Black American and first person of South Asian descent to hold the nation’s second highest office.
NITI Aayog Releases Second Edition of India Innovation Index
- NITI Aayog released the second edition of the India Innovation Index on 20 January 2021, along with the Institute for Competitiveness.
- The report examines the innovation capabilities and performance of the states and union territories.
- In the ‘Major States’ category, Karnataka occupied the top position, followed by Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu respectively.
- In UT and city states category, Delhi topped followed by Chandigarh.
- Position of kerala is 5th (30.58 score )
DRDO Develops Special Motor Bike Ambulance ‘Rakshita’ for CRPF
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has launched a bike-based casualty transport emergency vehicle,’RAKSHITA’ for the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
- The specially designed bike has been developed by the DRDO’s Delhi-based laboratory, Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS).
- RAKSHITA’ bike ambulance will help the Indian security forces to reach urgent evacuation sites in event of a medical emergency or battle injury, where access through ambulance is difficult and time consuming.
Bhawana Kanth to become the first Woman Fighter Pilot to take part in Republic Day Parade
- Flight lieutenant Bhawana Kanth, who is one of the first women fighter pilots to be inducted in the IAF, will create a historic moment when she will become the first woman fighter pilot to take part in the Republic Day parade on 26 January 2021.
- Kanth will be the part of the Indian Air Force’s (IAF’s) tableau in the parade.
- The IAF tableau will showcase mock-ups of the light combat aircraft, light combat helicopter and the Sukhoi-30 fighter plane.
- Currently Kanth is posted at an airbase in Rajasthan where she flies the MiG-21 Bison fighter plane.
Centre Declares Netaji’s birthday to be marked as ‘Parakram Diwas’ every year
- The Government of India has decided to celebrate the birthday of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, that falls on January 23 as ‘Parakram Diwas’ from now on every year.
- This day will be dedicated to honour and remember Netaji’s indomitable spirit and selfless service to the nation.
- 23rd January 2021 will mark the 125th birth anniversary year of Netaji.
India’s first Labour Movement Museum to be set up in Kerala
- The first-of-its-kind Labour Movement Museum, in India, would be launched in Alappuzha in Kerala, to showcase the history of world labour movement.
- The museum will portray the growth of the world labour movement and the history of Kerala’s labour movement, through pictures, documents and other exhibits.
- Alappuzha is famous as the global houseboat tourism hub.
Download Entri App and Start using Discussion Forum
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for competitive Examination with Entri.
Discussion about this post