Are you preparing for the UPSC Civil Services Exam 2023? If so, you’re probably looking for the best IAS books to help you ace the exam. The voluminous UPSC Syllabus makes it tough to pass the exam and join the esteemed Civil Services. To succeed in both the IAS Preliminary and Mains rounds, you need to have a proper kind of preparation strategy. IAS toppers recommend that aspirants start their UPSC preparation with NCERT books and then move on to the standard reference books. The best IAS books can vary from candidate to candidate depending on their previous expertise and knowledge of the subject matter. However, the books for UPSC recommended by experts are listed in this article subject-wise. Choosing the right IAS exam books online for different stages of the UPSC exam is quite important. This blog will provide a comprehensive list of the best IAS books available to help you prepare for the upcoming exam. We’ll also provide you with an overview of the topics covered in each book and how they can help you succeed loans. So, if you’re ready to get started, let’s dive in and explore the best IAS books for UPSC Civil Services Exam 2023.
Best Books For UPSC IAS Prelims 2023
There are two papers in Prelims (GS 1 and CSAT) and both are of objective type with negative marking. The best IAS books for Prelims are given below:
For more information on CSAT, check the linked article
Best Books For UPSC: IAS Mains 2023
Candidates who clear the Prelims reach the Mains stage of the IAS Exam. There are 9 theory papers in UPSC 2023 out of which two papers are on the optional subject. Candidates should follow the important IAS general studies Mains books for the best preparation.
Given below are the best General studies books for the UPSC Mains:
|History, Indian Heritage & Culture[GS Paper 1]||
|Geography[GS Paper 1]||
|Polity & International Relations[GS Paper 2]||
|Economy[GS Paper 3]||
|Ethics[GS Paper 4]||
In the UPSC mains exam, a candidate has to choose an optional subject also. The optional papers count for 500 marks in total and therefore, it is imperative that the right books are read for the optional subjects also.
Best Books For UPSC: Extra Study Materials 2023
Apart from the books mentioned above, the essential UPSC Study Material includes:
- 2nd ARC Report
- Economic Survey (latest)
- Budget (latest)
- Finance Commission Report (latest)
- Annual reports by central ministries
- Current Affairs
- The Hindu
- Yojana Magazine
- Press Information Bureau
- Niti Aayog Action Agenda
Important Points to Remember
- The UPSC syllabus is vast and it takes at least one year to comprehensively cover it. Therefore, you cannot waste precious time by reading books that are below standard or worse, contain incorrect and unauthenticated information. In this case, you would have to unlearn what you had previously read and this can prove difficult.
- Learning from the recommended sources would mean you can directly make notes out of it if necessary.
- There are many books that give information tailor-made for the IAS exam. For instance, Laxmikanth for Polity is a book that you must read if you are taking the UPSC exam. Many questions have been asked that seem to come directly from this book.
- In addition, many books including the one discussed above, contain information in a ‘notes’ format. So, they are readymade for IAS preparation. You don’t have to waste time trying to make notes.
- There are many books that are excellently written and contain a whole lot of valuable information. But you have to decide whether they are valuable for the UPSC exam or not. They might make a good read for academics and research scholars. But not necessarily for the UPSC exam. So, you need UPSC books that will help in your preparation and fetch you marks in the IAS exam.