Table of Contents
One of the fondest childhood memories, to most of us, is of riding a bicycle. The name itself fills us with many emotions along with recalling the challenges that we faced on the very first ride. As we grew up, we had many little secrets to keep with our bicycle, like- going on an early morning adventure ride, racing through the neighborhood with friends, and what not! However, the significance of bicycle has not decreased over the years. Instead, it has now increased tremendously. Even though Bicycle and related activities are versatile in nature, there was no specific day that observed or marked this world wide until recently when the United Nations Organization officially declared June 3rd of every year to be celebrated as World Bicycle Day.
On April 12 in the year 2018, the UN designated June 3rd as the World Bicycle Day. World Bicycle day was not observed or recognized in any part of the globe until then. This year, World Cycle Day 2021, falls on Tuesday, the 3rd of June. People and institutions all over the world will mark this day with various activities and programs that will elevate the significance of Bicycle Day. In this article, you will read about World Bicycle Day 2021 Theme along with its significance. Moreover, you will read about the World Bicycle day logo and some inspiring quotes related to it. Happy Reading, folks!
World Bicycle Day 2023: History
We all know that ever since the discovery of wheels, the human race embarked on the path to development. It took an acceleration when vehicles with wheels were invented years later, the first of this kind being the bicycles. In spite of deeply rooted to the man and his developments, there was not any specific day that acknowledged it.
Events leading to the formation of World Bicycle Day dates back to February 2015, when a Polish Social Scientist and Cyclist wrote a blog post for the World Bank on the topic “Cycling is Everyone’s Business’. He continued his toil during the forthcoming years. On April 12th 2018, all of his efforts bore fruit, when the United Nations Organization declared June 3rd as World Bicycle Day across the globe. Ever since, all the world nations celebrate it with true zeal and spirit.
World Bicycle Day 2023: Significance
A bicycle is one of the simplest type of vehicles. The basic structure consists of two wheels attached to a frame. Bicycles are the chief means of transport in many regions across the world. Ever since its introduction in the 19th century, bicycles have evolved a lot in its structure and design.
Popularly called as a bike or a cycle, it is enjoyed by people of all age groups- irrespective of gender and other societal norms. This itself is the significance of the World Bicycle Day- it is an international day meant for some time out and appreciation of Bicycles and their versatility. This day aims to bring in the liberal ideas of mutual respect and compassion amongst the people of the world by organizing various events.
World Bicycle Day 2023: Theme
As quoted by the resources from the United Nations Organization, the World Bicycle Day 2023 Theme acknowledges, “the uniqueness, longevity and versatility of the bicycle, which has been in use for two centuries, and that it is a simple, affordable, reliable, clean and environmentally fit sustainable means of transport.” Undoubtedly, there isn’t any other means of transport which is as sustainable as a Bicycle. It can be used as a source of access to all the major utilities like education, hospitality, health care, sport, etc.
The year 2023 is the fourth year that world Bicycle Day is celebrated throughout the world. However, due to the ongoing pandemic situation, the celebration cannot involve rallies and races where a large number of people gather for cycling, unlike the previous years. So, people can opt for individual activities that will raise the significance of this day.
World Bicycle Day Logo
After the designation of June 3rd as the World Bicycle Day, Sir Isaac Feld along with the cooperation of Professor John E. Swanson designed its logo.
The logo comprises a cycle wheel (that represents the earth) in blue and white colors with cyclists shown on the top. It symbolizes various types of bicyclists across the globe- irrespective of gender, race, religion and nation. The logo emphasizes the need of the mankind to work for the common goal of humanity.
World Bicycle Day Quotes 2023
Here are some remarkable World Bicycle Day Quotes by famous personalities that appreciates bicycling. Have a look:
- “Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein
- “Nothing compares with the simple pleasure of a bike ride.” – John F. Kennedy
- “Cyclists see considerably more of this beautiful world than any other class of citizens. A good bicycle, well applied, will cure most ills this flesh is heir to” – Dr K.K. Doty
- “A bicycle ride around the world begins with a single pedal stroke” – Scott Stoll
- “The race is won by the rider who can suffer the most” – Eddy Merckx
- “When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking” – Arthur Conan Doyle
- “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them” – Ernest Hemingway
World Bicycle Day Celebration & Activities
- Conduct awareness programs to improve road safety and integrate it into sustainable mobility and transport infrastructure planning and design.
- Encourage the use of bicycles to enhance sustainable development in the areas of education, health services and mutual respect for people.
- Organize bicycle rallies to appreciate the benefits of bicycling for the physical and mental well-being.
- To spread the word about World Bicycle Day various competitions like speeches, poster designing and quizzes may be organized in schools.
To sum up, each one of us should take responsibility to create awareness. We must, hence, celebrate the World Bicycle Day with fervor and vigor. Every little action that we take today will help us in creating a beautiful tomorrow. And so will this!
Sending Good Wishes to All Our Readers!