To raise global awareness about consumer rights and needs, across the globe March 15 is celebrated as World Consumers Day. World Consumers Day aims to protect consumers across the globe against market abuses. It demands equality for the consumers, all consumers rights are important and should be respected and protected. The world’s first consumer movement was in 1983, in the United States. Check World Consumer Rights Day 2023 details below.
Grab Latest GK study materials! Register Here!
World Consumer Rights Day 2023: Date
- It has always been observed on March 15th. It is oberved to raise global awareness about consumer rights and needs, across the globe. The day aims to protect consumers across the globe against market abuses.
Consumer Rights in India
On 1962, March 15 then US President John F Kennedy address the US Congress regarding the four basic consumer rights, later called the Consumer Bill of Rights. He was the first world leader to address consumer rights. The original four consumer rights are:
- The right to safety
- The right to be informed
- The Right to choose, and
- The right to be heard.
In 1985, the United Nations through the United Nations Guidelines for Consumer Protection expands the consumer rights to include four more. They are:
- The right to satisfaction of basic needs,
- The right to redress,
- The Right to Consumer Education, and
- The right to a Healthy Environment.
In India, consumers can reach National Consumer Helpline, in case of any violations; Call on toll-free number 1800-11-4000 or 14404.
World Consumer Rights Day 2023: Theme
Every year the NGO Consumers International announces the theme for Consumers Right Day. Consumers International accepts these eight rights as their charter and started to endorse March 15, the day of Kennedy’s speech as the World Consumer Rights Day. The theme for March 15, 2023, World Consumer Rights Day:
“‘Alternate consumer grievance/dispute redressal‘
The global consumer right movement will call for fair digital finance for consumers everywhere. The movement will generate new consumer-centred campaigns for digital finance that is inclusive, safe, data protected, private, and sustainable.
Digital technologies are reshaping payments, lending, insurance, and wealth management across the globe. However, digital financial services have created new risks that can lead to unfair outcomes for consumers. These risks have increased in recent years and crisis such as covid-19 pandemic enhanced the risks. Achieving fair digital finance for all requires a global, collaborative, and coordinated approach. The rapidly evolving and complex nature of digital financial services demonstrate the need for innovative regulatory approaches and digital financial services and products that centre consumer protection and empowerment.
World Consumer Rights Day Previous Year Theme
|World Consumer Rights Day 2022||“Fair Digital Finance”|
|World Consumer Rights Day 2021||“Tackling Plastic Pollution”|
|World Consumer Rights Day 2020||“The Sustainable Consumer”|
|World Consumer Rights Day 2019||“Trusted Smart Products”|
|World Consumer Rights Day 2018||“Making Digital Marketplaces Fairer”|
|World Consumer Rights Day 2017||“Building a Digital World Consumers can Trust”|
World Consumer Rights Day 2023: Quotes
- You customer’s perception is your reality – Kate Zabriskie
- Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning – Bill Gates
- For us our most important stakeholder is not our stockholders it is our customers. We are in business to serve the needs and desires of our core customer base. – John Mackey
- Your customer doesn’t care how much you know until they know how much you care – Damon Richards
- Customers are the most important visitor on our premises, they are not dependent on us, we are dependent on them. They are not an interruption in our work. They are the purpose of it. They are not outsiders in our business. They are part of it; we are not doing them a favour by serving them. They are doing us a favour by giving us an opportunity to do so. – Mahatma Gandhi
- We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts, it’s our Job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better – Jeff Bezos.
- You are serving a customer not a life sentence; learn how to enjoy your work – Laurie McIntosh.
- Customers don’t expect you to be perfect but they expect you to fix things when they go wrong – Donald Porter.
- A brand is nothing but an expression of the customer’s loyalty and trust – Phil Dusenberry.
- Get closer than ever to your customers. So close that you tell them what they need before they realize it themselves – Steve Jobs
- Consumers are the kings and hence they need to be always served with the best. Enjoy your rights on this world consumer rights day
- Without consumers, all the businesses of the market would have vanished. They are the supreme and prima donna of this demand supply chain.
- Every product in the market is taken up by some or the other consumer. Every consumer is important, treat them well.
- It takes honesty and gentleness to make a consumer happy. Practice it harder every time for greater success
- If you give every customer their rights, they will become your loyal ones and make sure that their closed group also does business with you.
- The more a person enjoys his work, the better they serve their customers. Take an oath to give them the best service every time
In India, every year December 24, is observed as the National Consumer Day. In 1986, this day the Consumer Protection Act, received the assent of the president. 1986 Consumer Protection Act was first of its kind in India.
World Consumer Rights Day 2023: Quiz
Q1: When is World Consumer Rights Day observed?
Q2: World Consumer Rights Day was inspired by?
Q3: What is refer to legal and moral duties of protection owed to a purchaser of goods or services by the supplier?
Q4: What is right to express consumer interests in the making of government policies?
Grab Latest GK study materials! Register Here!
Attempt the following Quiz by Entri to boost your score in the examination
- World Students day quiz
- Global Hand washing day quiz
- World Mental Health day quiz
- International day of Girl Child quiz
- Indian Air force quiz
- Modern Agriculture quiz
- World Animal Welfare day quiz
- World Rivers day Quiz
Discussion about this post