International days are marked to educate the public on issues of concern, to address global problems and to celebrate and reinforce achievements of humanity. Each international day provides the community an opportunity to organize activities related to the theme and to create public awareness on the same. Organizations, governments, public and private sectors, schools, universities and citizens make international day a springboard for awareness raising actions. In this article let us check on World Maritime Day 2020 -Theme, Activities, Quotes and Quiz. The observation of maritime day aims to raise awareness about ensuring shipping safety, and emphasizing on maritime security and the protection of marine environment.
World Maritime Day 2022 – Thursday, 24 September
In this article readers can get a glimpse on
- About IMO – International Maritime organisation
- World maritime day 2020 Theme
- World Maritime day quotes
- Activities that can be observed on World Maritime day
- World Maritime day Quiz
About IMO – International Maritime Organisation
IMO, the International Maritime Organization, is the United Nations specialized agency with responsibility for the safety and security of shipping and the prevention of marine and atmospheric pollution by ships. IMO aims at promoting safety and security through environmentally sound and sustainable shipping.
2020 Theme: Sustainable shipping for a sustainable planet
The theme will provide opportunities for leaders from various sectors, including shipping, to both reflect on the work done and the urgent steps they further plan towards a sustainable future.
The theme for the 2019 World Maritime Day is Empowering women in the maritime community. The theme aims to raise awareness of the importance of gender equality. Another objective of this theme is to highlight the contribution of women in the maritime sector.
In 2018, The World Maritime Day theme was, “IMO 70: Our Heritage – Better Shipping for a Better Future”
In 2017, the theme of World Maritime Day was, “Connecting Ships, Ports and People”.The theme was chosen to provide an opportunity to focus on the many diverse actors involved in the shipping and logistics areas.
The theme for 2016 was”Shipping: indispensable to the world”. The theme was chosen to focus on the critical link between shipping and global society and to raise awareness of the relevance of the role of IMO as the global regulatory body for international shipping.
The World Maritime Day theme for 2015 was “Maritime education and training”.
The theme for the 2014 World Maritime Day was ‘IMO Conventions – effective implementation’
World Maritime Day Quotes 2022
- “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don’t have that problem.” -Ronald Reagan
- “I am convinced that there is no smarter, handier, or more adaptable body of troops in the world.” -Sir Winston Churchhill
- “Every Marine is, first and foremost, a rifleman. All other conditions are secondary.” -Gen. A. M. Gray
- “A Ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons.” -Adm. David Dixon Porter
- “A lot of people attack the sea, I make love to it.” -Jacques Yves Cousteau
- “A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible,but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.” – Vincent Van Gogh
- “I can’t control the wind but I can adjust the sail.” – Ricky Skaggs
- “Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.” -Brooks Atkinson
- “Of all the things that man has made, no is so full of interest and charm, none possesses so distinct a life and character of its own, as a ship.”- Henry Van Dyke
World Maritime day Activities
The sacrifices and the hardships of the seafarers and those on sea are often left unnoticed. Let us observe this day to encourage and support all the maritime workers across the world. few of the activities that can be conducted to observe World maritime day are listed below.
- Conduct activities at school to let the children be aware of the career options in maritime.
- Conduct Career fairs at colleges exclusively to promote the career options in maritime
- Conduct Awareness campaign at schools and colleges to let students know the importance the career in maritime field for every nation.
- For younger students schools can arrange a visit to a port nearby and help them learn more on the technical and mechanical aspect of the working of the ship
- Competitions can be conducted at school with a theme related to protecting the oceans and marine life thus putting light on the importance of sustainable life at oceans too
- Conduct surveys and find out the seafarers and maritime workers in your locality and send them an appreciation card online to appreciate their line of work at the sea
- Conduct a campaign to have a lets talk session with the fishermen of your town and understand the problems they face during monsoon and on how to do they cope up.
- Fundraising can be done to support the fishermen during monsoon and storm season or during off season when they struggle with life as they are unable to return to work.
- Campaign can also be conducted to meet the seafarers who work towards protecting the nation thus understanding the value of every profession .
- Conduct quiz at schools thus educating the students on the discovery of lands via oceans, the history of seafarers across times, the geography locations of various ports across the world, The information regarding shipping and overseas trading. This way we can educate the students on the areas related to maritime as we observe this day
World Maritime Day Quiz
1. Who is the current Secretary General of the IMO?
A) Kitack Lim
B) Koji Sekimizu
C) Efthimios E Mitropoulos
D) William O’Neil
2. IMO Secretary-General Kitack Lim was previously president of a major port authority. Which was it:
A) Tianjin (China)
B) Antwerp (Belgium)
C) Busan (Republic of Korea)
3. Which is the world’s busiest container port?
4. You are traveling on a container ship from Shanghai to Hamburg. How many nights, approximately, until you can enjoy a game of pool at the Duckdalben seafarer centre?
A) 10-20 nights
B) 25-50 nights
C) 75-100 nights
5. Which icy port is this?
A) Seattle (United States)
B) Oslo (Norway)
C) Montreal (Canada)
6. In which international treaty would you find regulations on hours of work and rest for seafarers?
A) Maritime Labour Convention (MLC)
B) International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW)
7. Which port is this ship about to enter?
A) Long Beach (United States)
B) Jeddah (Saudi Arabia)
C) Port of Santos (Brazil)
8. Which important IMO treaty supports the free flow of maritime traffic coming into and leaving ports?
A) The Free-flow Convention
B) The Wreck Removal Convention
C) The Facilitation Convention
9. Today’s giant container ships can be as long as 400 meters, but how many seafarers are usually found on board to operate them?
10. World Maritime day is observed every year on
1. First Thursday of August
2. Last Thursday of September
3. First Sunday of April
4. Last Sunday of May
How Entri will help you with the preparation for Competitive Examinations
- Entri Provides you an online platform to prepare for the exam
- You can download the app free of cost and join the class
- Entri provides video classes as well on various important topics by the excellent faculties
- Entri provides revision modules, monthly tests based on the classes
- Entri provides an excellent platform with full- length mock tests including previous year question papers
- It also gives you access to clarify your doubts