Karnataka Public Service Commission (KPSC) is the public service commission of the state. The committee conducts state-level examinations for different posts across the state. Earlier in 1997, the exams were conducted in a single stage, later divided into two levels. The KPSC conducts Karnataka Administrative Service (KAS) for candidates to fill up the gazette positions in the state at the same time, it is considered to be the toughest of all. KPSC 2021 will be conducted by the Karnataka Public Service Commission. It is conducted each year for recruiting applicants for profuse posts at the state civil service positions in Karnataka. It is also commonly known as Gazette Probationers exam (GPE). The Karnataka Public Service Commission will release the application form online through its official website. The notification for the same will be updated on the official website well in advance. KPSC will be conducted in phases: Written test (Prelims and mains) and Interview rounds. The candidate must carefully read the detailed eligibility criteria for KPSC before considering the application for the examination. Every year, thousands of aspirants apply for this exam, hoping to fulfill their dream, but in reality, only a few hundred can get through this. This is mainly due to the complexity of the exam. Many candidates fail in the very first step which is preparation. Before getting further, the applicant should have an idea about various aspects of the examination.
Important Features of Karnataka PSC Examination 2021
Mode of Application:
- The candidates are expected to apply to the exam through online.
Mode of Examination:
- The examination is conducted offline.
Frequency of the Examination:
- The exam is conducted once in a year, based on the vacancy.
- It is a state level examination.
Exam Pattern 2021:
The Karnataka Public Service Commission Civil Service Examination is conducted in two levels
- Preliminary Examination.
- Mains Examination and Personal Interview.
The preliminary examination of the KPSC Civil Service Exam is an objective type paper that contains multiple choice questions of 100 marks.
- Paper 1: General Studies and Humanities.
- Paper 2: General Studies, General Science and Technology, General mental ability.
The main examination is for those candidates who clear the preliminary exam.
- Paper 1: Kannada
- Paper 2: English
- Paper 3 and 4: General Studies
- Paper 5,6,7 and 8: General Paper.
The Personal interview is conducted with those candidates who clear both the prelims and mains.
Syllabus for Karnataka PSC Exam Preparation
General Knowledge Section:
- Indian History- History of Karnataka and Indian National Movement
- Current Affairs- National and International Importance
- Indian and World Geography along with the Geography of Karnataka and Natural Resources
- Polity and Indian Economy- Political System of India, Economic Reforms and Indian politics
- Indian Civilization
Current Events Section:
- Arts and Culture
- Important schemes of the Karnataka State Government
- Current affairs and current events related to the state of Karnataka
- Science and Technology- Recent advancements and discoveries.
- Ecology and Environment- Biodiversity, Climate Change, Health, Ecology, etc.
- Broad Understanding of topics from General Science and Technology
- General Mental Ability- Basic Numeracy, Data Interpretation, Charts, Graphs, Tables, Comprehension, Logical Reasoning
- Time and work
- Profit and loss
- Problems on ages
- Time and Distance
- Mixture and Alligation
- Boats and stream
- Number Systems
- Problems on train
- Ratio and proportion
- Data Interpretation
- Simple and compound interest
- Number Ranking
- Decision Making
- Non-Verbal Series
- Coding and non-coding
- Number Series
Best Books to Prepare for Karnataka PSC Exam 2021
Books for General Science:
- State syllabus textbooks from class 6th to 10th (mandatory)
- Ncert Textbooks from class 6th to 10th
- Science and tech by G Hariprasad
- Online reference by India bix website
- Books on space science
Books for History:
- Modern Indian History by Spectrum Publication by Rajiv Ahir
- Karnataka History by Suryakant Kamath
- Concise History by Sapna publication
- Karnataka Handbook by Government of Karnataka
- Ancient and Medieval History for class 11&12 NCERT textbooks Geography
- NCERT textbooks of class 10th&11th
- Karnataka Geography class 9th textbook- state syllabus
- G C Leong for Content-based
- Dr Rangnath’s Karnataka Geography (Kannada Medium)
- Environmental Ecology
- Environmental ecology by Shankar IAS for Knowledge-based
- Books on the same topic by V.S Somashekar
- Indian Politics
- Textbook on Indian Politics by Lakshmikanth (Bible for a competitive exam)
Books for International Relation:
- Vision IAS by PT365
- Spardha Vijetha monthly magazine. (Kannada)
- Indian Economy
- Central government economic survey
- State government economic survey
Books for Mental Ability:
- Youtube videos by R.S Aggarwal
- Refer to Karnataka Psc previous years question papers
Consistency is the key. Be honest with yourself. Ask yourself why you want this so badly. Have a bigger vision. Enjoy the journey, once you get through this, you’ll realize you’ve made the right choice and made a perfect decision. So keep all those hesitations, self-doubts and negative thoughts aside. You got this. It will all be with it. Once in power, make sure you help those in need or people like you. At the end of the day, it’s only you, I and we together that can make this a better place to live in. Good luck