Table of Contents
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, Govt. of India has announced the observance of the Road Safety Week Campaign from 11th to 17th January 2023. Every year typically on January, National Road Safety Week is celebrated in India, to create awareness about road safety and minimize road accidents thereby save lives. Let us know more about national road safety week 2023 program, theme, quiz etc.
National Road Safety Week 2023 – Date
Govt. of India has announced the observance of the Road Safety Week Campaign from 11th to 17th January 2023. It was in the year 1989 National Road Safety Week was celebrated for the first time to make public awareness about road safety. And at that time about 36,000 had lost their lives on the road, which once again urged public awareness.
Later on, in the year, 15th March 2010 the sanction was given for the National Road Safety policy by the Cabinet Union of India that was recommended by the Sunder Committee through a written document in 2007 February.
The Road Safety Week celebration is initiated by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways with an aim to raise public awareness about traffic rules and ultimately reduce casualties due to road accidents. In this program, all the Charitable Organizations, Non-Government Organizations, and Private firms across the country join hand to hand with the government to provide logistic support to the Road Safety measurements.
Importance and Aim of Road Safety
As we all know the road accidents are increasing day by day due to many reasons like careless/ harsh driving, exceeding the speed limits, unawareness, or violation of traffic rules. While reading this article itself there are many accidents that happened!! How many lives are lost, orphaned by a single accident?
So, here comes the importance of such a day or a week.
With a view to supplementing the efforts of the Ministry, the National Safety Council from the year 2011 has started producing promotional materials like cloth banners, safety posters, pocket guides, safety films, etc. to help its Members / Patrons to observe Road Safety Week every year effectively.
The police forces and other departments working for street safety will expand awareness about the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 and the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill of 2019. Along with that, National Road Safety Week is utilized to educate the people via banners, pamphlets, and hand-outs. Boards with emergency contact numbers will be put up at several accident-prone locations.
In previous years the celebrations included activities like:
- Increased vehicle checkings by traffic police for speeding, driving without a license, drink-driving, and other illegal activities.
- Distributing high-visibility reflector tape to cyclists to reduce incidents involving bicycles
- Road safety awareness days in schools, colleges, and other Educational Institutions, also to the public.
- Running training on road safety for professionals who drive at work.
National Road Safety Week Theme 2023
The theme for National Road Safety week 2023 will be updated here once it is announced.
National Road Safety Week Previous Year Theme
The theme for National Road Safety Week 2022 was ‘Sadak Suraksha – Jeevan Raksha.’ The campaign focused on various measures people should adopt to comply with the safety regulations laid down by the government
Road Safety Week Theme 2021
- The 32nd National Road Safety Week 2021 marked by the theme, ‘ Safe yourself to save your family’. Apply all the safety measures while traveling in a vehicle and always follow the traffic rules.
- 31st National Road Safety week 2020 theme, ‘ No need to speed’. Severe accident issues or maximum accident cases are due to the speed of vehicles where people died on the spot.
- 30th National Road Safety Week 2019 theme, ‘road safety is life safety’. Safety of the roads depends upon us to follow every rule of traffic or to improve infrastructure, then only our life will be out accident risk.
- 2018- The department will spread awareness regarding traffic rules and dissuade people from using the banned synthetic string, popularly known as Chinese thread.
- 2017- Your Security, safeguards your Family- Be warned on the Roads.
- 2015 that was Develop a Secure Tradition for Better Supply Chain.
- 2014 that was Walk for Road Security.
- 2013 that was Be alert, don’t drink and drive.
Road Safety Week 2023 Quiz
1. What is the name of the Kerala Police Traffic Wing symbol?
2. What is the full form of NATPAC?
3. Drivers should drive their vehicles through the ……………. side of the road.
4. In which month is Road Safety Week celebrated in India?
5. For emergency, one can dial or call …………….. for ambulance service.
6. Pedestrians should cross the road only through
7. National Road safety policies are formed by the
8. Who is the Metroman of India?
9. If the driver increases the speed of the vehicle, his visual speed _______
10. Every vehicle should have _____ as a basic legal requirement.
So, hope you had fun with the simple quiz related to road safety.
Road Safety provides every people to improve every driving task smoothly and help to safeguard many lives. Always follow traffic rules for self and others’ safety. Be cautious of the road signs, maintain one line while driving, use indicators when needed, and ensure that you do not drive with an expired license. Signs such as ‘L’ and ‘baby on board’ can caution others to drive more carefully near you. Park your vehicles in the parking zones only. Set all these in your mind and avoid speed/ rash driving.
Always remember “It is better to arrive late than no arrival”.