National U.S. Postage Stamp Day is well known on 1st July each year to commemorate the lifestyles of Postage Stamps which might be used for sending letters and to understand the incredible works of all of the Philatelists. The first U.S. postage stamp was issued on July 1, 1847, however, it wasn’t till 1855 that postage stamps became mandatory. Postage stamps have a captivating history, and features emerge as an exceptionally famous collector’s object because of the artistry and layout paintings worried in developing them.
This day is also celebrated to appreciate the work of all the Philatelists. Philately comes from the Greek words ‘phillo,’ which means an attraction to something, and ‘ateleia,’ which means tax-free. Philately is the study of stamps, post history, postmarks, postcards, and other postal delivery associated items. A philatelist is the person who gathers and studies about postage stamps.
National US Postage Stamp Day- History
A stamp reflects payment for a letter or a package delivery. On 1 July 1847, the United States issued its first postal stamp. Earlier, Individuals used to convey letters without stamps and the fees might be gathered from the recipient. Postage stamp set-up was brought to symbolize the shipping Charges. Sender has to buy and paste the postage stamp withinside the letter in order that the recipient no longer to from the recipients. Even with the primary stamp system being initiated in the year 1847, It became now no longer obligatory to stick the stamps and the fees might be gathered from the recipients. However, withinside the year 1858, the postage stamp became indicated as required although sending letters.
The Postmaster General of England Henry Bishop, who invented the postmarks. The postmarks were mentioned as the Bishop’s Mark and first used in the London General Post Office in 1661. William Dockwra and his partner Robert Murray launched the London Penny Post in 1680, which dispatched letters and small couriers for one penny within the city limits. By the use of a hand stamp confirmation of the paid post has been shown and this is generally accepted as the first postal stamp of the world.
Sir Rowland Hill of England has the credit of inventing the first modern, adhesive postage stamp. It was first issued at Great Britain’s Penny Post, with the Penny Black issue featuring an chiseled profile of the head of Queen Victoria in 1840. He also set uniform postage rates which were on the basis of weight. For the next 60 years, that remained on the stamps, and the United Kingdom remained the only country to ignore its name from the postage, instead of using the head of the ruling emperor as recognition.
The United States authorities published workplace first issued adhesive postage stamps to the price of 5 and ten cents on July 1, 1847. And in 1855, the usage of stamps become made mandatory. Initially, stamps might typically function as the face or bust of a former American president or any other traditionally huge statesman. That all modified withinside the Eighteen Nineties while the publish workplace found out that promoting stamps as collectibles ought to boom revenue. So, to make greater money, it commenced issuing commemorative stamps alongside crucial countrywide expositions before everything after which later for the anniversaries of huge countrywide ancient events.
In 1847 the Department of Postal Office released the first postage stamps in the United States: five and ten cent stamps with the heads of Benjamin Franklin and George Washington. Other countries around the world were soon to adopt the postage stamp and mailing system, each creating its own versions and stamp designs.
u.s. postage stamp identifier
Stamp Identifiers offer lists of the diverse textual content that could seem on stamps and inform you what united states of america that textual content signifies. The APS gives a Stamp Identifier on the market at our “Publications Shop” or go to the Worldwide Stamp Identifier site.
The First U.S. Postage Stamps, issued in 1847. The first stamp issues were authorized by an act of Congress and approved on March 3, 1847. The earliest known use of the Franklin 5¢ is July 7, 1847, while the earliest known use of the Washington 10¢ is July 2, 1847. Remaining in postal circulation for only a few years, these issues were declared invalid for postage on July 1, 1851.
Little is thought about the starting place or first reliable birthday party of the National U.S. Postage Stamp Day, however the day’s essence remains. It commemorates the day postage stamps had been first issued withinside the United States and has for years venerated the reality that we are able to now without difficulty ship mail and parcels and will pay homage to the hundreds of mailmen and ladies withinside the country.
How to celebrate the National U.S. Postage Stamp Day?
Put a stamp on it! Celebrate the day by mailing a letter or postcard to someone you know. Post your designs and collections on social media using the hashtag #USPostageStampDay.
If you’re creative thinker, you can design your own stamp. Spot your presence in the exhibitions conducted by any Philatelic organization. Just approach any philatelist and explore more about the postage stamps and history.
In this virtual world, conversation among humans is at some point social media. So, the use of mail has reduced substantially. In this present day, individuals are required to use mail to greet their buddies and households. A handwritten birthday in an envelope with a postage stamp will carry greater happiness to the cherished ones than a textual content message or a publish on social media. Let us take this present day as a possibility to put in writing a letter and discover one-of-a-kind postages with households and specific gratitude toward them via the mail.
|Dates of National U.S. Postage Stamp Day|
|In 2023 Saturday, July 1st, National U.S. Postage Stamp Day
In 2022 Friday, July 1st, National U.S. Postage Stamp Day
In 2021 Thursday, July 1st, National U.S. Postage Stamp Day
In 2020 Wednesday, July 1st, National U.S. Postage Stamp Day
In 2019 Monday, July 1st, National U.S. Postage Stamp Day
National US Postage Stamp Day- Interesting Facts
- The first stamps had been the five cent valued red-brown stamp where in it changed into depicted with the photograph of Benjamin Franklin, the then Postmaster General and 10 cent valued black stamp depicted with the photograph of George Washington, the primary president of the United States.
- Philately is the not unusual place time period used to indicate the take a look at of Postal stamps, Postal Identification, Postal Production and Procedure and the respective Histories. A professional withinside the area is represented as Philatelist. Surprisingly, Stamp Collection is likewise referred to as as “timbrophily”, “timbrology”, timbromania” withinside the past. However, the opportunity phrases had been disliked via way of means of the Philatelists and as of now, the time period “Philately” simplest is in practice.
- “In June 1788, the 9th country ratified the Constitution, which gave Congress the power ‘To set up Post Offices and put up Roads’ in Article I, phase 8. A 12 months later, the Act of September 22, 1789, persisted with the Post Office and made the Postmaster General difficult to the course of the President. Four days later, President Washington appointed Samuel Osgood as the first Postmaster General below the Constitution. A populace of just about 4 million turned into served through seventy five Post Offices and approximately 2, four hundred miles of put up roads.”
- American Philatelic society is the biggest Non-income basis of Philately positioned withinside the United States. It especially makes a speciality of Philately and stamp Identification and series along side Philatelic Publications and different associated services. 29706 are enrolled as participants that consists of stamp dealers ,stamp clubs, societies and people as claimed with the aid of using the American Philatelic society as of 2017 end. It consisted of 33 personnel and serving worldwide. Further, the American Philatelic society honors the contribution of deceased Philatelists with the aid of using awarding Philatelic Society Hall of Fame. Moreover, tuff Award is presented for the residing Philatelists for his or her invincible contribution.
- Benjamin Franklin changed into appointed because the first postmaster General withinside the year 1775 and there with the aid of using put up workplace changed into established. The Position “Postmaster General” changed into protected withinside the Cabinet Ministry withinside the year 1829. Postage stamp is embedded in American History at some point of the civil conflict instances in which letters are used for Communication distinctiveness with the aid of using the prisoners.
- Inverted Jenny, is one of the maximum precious U.S postage Stamps now. It will become well-known because of incorrect depiction of the photograph of Curtiss JN-4.1t changed into revealed inversely and the error changed into now no longer diagnosed at that point of promoting with the aid of using the postal clerk considering that he had now no longer visible any airplane. He offered almost greater than one hundred faulty stamps and nearly all had been claimed to be recollected and shredded. However, one such stamp changed into offered for one hundred thirty five million bucks at public sale withinside the year 2016 in New York City.
National US Postage Stamp Day FAQs
Q. What were the first images on the first postage stamps?
Ans: Two postage stamps went on sale on July 1, 1847. These first official U.S. postage stamps depicted Benjamin Franklin and George Washington.
Q. What is the cost of a single, first-class postage stamp in the United States?
Ans: A single, first-class stamp in the United States as of August of 2021 is 58. This stamp will mail a single piece of mail weighing one ounce or less.
Q. Do postage stamps expire?
Ans: No. But if the stamp’s value is less than the cost to mail the package or letter, you will need to include additional postage.
Download Entri App, Entri provides you effective learnings in a period of time with the help of expert teams and you can accomplish the goal with the Entri App. Start your preparation for your dream government job with Entri App. We provide a wide range of courses over different government exams. We are providing you the best platform for the preparations for every prestigious exam. Here you can get access to a number of mock tests and get daily practice GK and Current affairs questions.
For candidates preparing for competitive exams like Bank Exam, UPSC exam and other Government Exams. Static GK connotes general knowledge about the static facts, the facts that are never going to change in the future. Entri App provides you with the best knowledge in GK and coaches candidates on different exams in your local language.