Table of Contents
One of the most popular postgraduate engineering entrance examinations in India, GATE, or the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is the gateway to Masters in Engineering (M.E) and Masters in Technology (M.Tech) courses in engineering colleges across the country. However, while GATE score is primarily accepted in IITs, NITs, GFTIs, and other private institutes in India, it has crossed the boundary to become an international level test for entry into postgraduate engineering programs abroad. While universities across the world have their own selection criteria or accept GRE scores, some institutes in two countries- Singapore and Germany – are known to accept GATE score for admission to their PG engineering programs.
What is GATE Exam?
The GATE syllabus comprises topics in 29 subjects which covers all the major subject areas in engineering starting from Aerospace Engineering to Textile Engineering, among others. GATE comprises two types of questions – multiple choice questions (MCQs) and numerical questions. Both MCQs and numerical questions carry 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. While there is negative marking for MCQs (For 1-mark questions, 1/3 mark is deducted for a wrong answer and for 2-mark questions, 2/3 mark is deducted.) There is no negative marking for the numerical questions. The exam is conducted online.
GATE Exam Eligibility Criteria
There are certain prerequisites the candidates have to meet before appearing in the GATE exam. If any discrepancy is found in the essential requirements, the official authorities hold the power to cancel the candidature of the applicants. Following are some of them:
- Formal schooling of 10+2
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture or Technology
- Master’s degree in any branch of science in mathematics/ computer application/ statistics or their equivalent
- New relaxation in terms of minimum eligibility has been introduced this year which means that not only students pursuing 10+2+4 ongoing courses can apply but those who are a part of 10+2+3 ongoing courses can also apply in their 3rd year.
Once the results are announced on the official website and all the category-wise cut-offs are released, the process of admission that is called counseling starts. All universities conduct their own admission procedures to invite students. Here is the process:
For M.Tech admissions, IIT Kharagpur will not have any counseling sessions. Candidates seeking admission to IITs, NITs, and other prominent universities would be required to engage in separate counseling procedures.
- For admissions into NITs candidates need to register for GATE CCMT Counseling. Usually, the counseling process starts in the month of April.
- For admissions into IITs, candidates need to register for GATE COAP Counseling. Aspirants must apply to particular institutes where they wish to be admitted before registering for the Common Offer Acceptance Port
Universities Which Accept GATE Score in Singapore
Two of the best known universities in Singapore – Nanyang Technological University (NTU) and National University of Singapore (NUS) accept GATE score for admission to their post graduate programmes. They are the one of the highly ranked universities and are positioned among the top 20 universities in the world according to global research surveys. Nanyang Technological University accepts GATE scores for its PhD and M.Eng programmes. However, the GATE score should not be more than 3 years old. NTU accepts GATE scores in their following engineering schools:
- School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
- School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- School of Computer Engineering
- School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- School of Materials Science and Engineering
- School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
The schools in NTU as mentioned above do not have any said GATE cutoff for admission to the engineering programmes but takes the overall profile of the candidate into consideration. The usual trend for the student to get accepted into NTU hovers around 90 percentile and above.
National University of Singapore accepts GATE scores in its M.S. and PhD programmes. Majority of the programmes covered under the Faculty of Engineering under National University of Singapore accept GATE scores. Here too the preference is for students who have at least 90 percentile in GATE.
Universities Which Accept GATE Score in Germany
As in Singapore, few universities in Germany also accept GATE score for their post graduate engineering programmes. Two most of the prominent among them are the Technical University of Germany and the RWTH ACHEN. Usually the students in Mechanical and Production engineering prefer going to Germany for their Masters as there is a lot of opportunity for growth and research in those fields at Germany.
Programmes under the mentioned faculties in Technical University of Germany which accept GATE score.
- Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Faculty of Civil Engineering and Surveying
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
- Programmes under the mentioned faculty in RWTH ACHEN which accept GATE score:
- Applied Geophysics
- Automotive Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering, Information Technology and Computer Engineering,
- Media Informatics
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Software Systems Engineering
Summary table of Foreign universities which accept GATE score:
|Sl.No.||University||Country||Ranking||GATE score (required average %tile)|
|1||National University of Singapore (NUS)||Singapore||12||90|
|2||Nanyang Technological University (NTU)||Singapore||13||90|
|3||Technical University of Germany||Germany||60||90|
General Requirements of Foreign Universities Accepting GATE Score
The candidates willing to pursue admission to top-notch foreign universities should satisfy the eligibility criteria as given below:
- Bachelor’s degree (preferably B.Tech/B.E) in the relevant discipline with the minimum CGPA/ percentage, as per the respective university norms.
- The candidate should have a valid GATE Score
- To get admission to foreign universities it is mandatory to pass any of the Exams like IELTS or TOEFL.
Foreign Universities Accepting GATE Score – FAQ’s
Are there some foreign universities accepting GATE score?
Yes, some universities in Singapore and Germany accept GATE scores as admission criteria in M.S or Ph.D. However, there are some other shortlisting procedures followed to take final admission.
What are the foreign universities accepting GATE scores?
The foreign universities accepting GATE scores are given below.
- National University of Singapore (NUS)
- Nanyang Technological University (NTU) Singapore
- Technical University of Munich
- RWTH Aachen University