Concentration is defined as the ability to focus attention on one single thought or subject, removing everything else from the field of awareness. The ability to focus attention is one of the most vital abilities one should possess. However, most people lack the ability to concentrate. Their attention usually is not stable, without being able to fix it on one subject for any reasonable period of time. This is something that can be fixed. The ability to focus can be developed, like any other skill. A person that trains his or her mind is able to focus, without being distracted by thoughts, noises or anything else.
Top 10 Study Tips to Improve Concentration-Pointers
The ability to focus attention is one of the most vital abilities one should possess. However, most people lack the ability to concentrate. Their attention usually is not stable, without being able to fix it on one subject for any reasonable period of time. This is something that can be fixed. The ability to focus can be developed, like any other skill. A person that trains his or her mind is able to focus, without being distracted by thoughts, noises or anything else. Listed below are few pointers that help in increasing the concentration
1. Relaxed Mind Can do Wonders
- We know this is easier said than done.
- But the more the candidate stress, the less they’ll be able to focus.
- The less they can focus, the worse they will be at retaining information and completing tasks.
- Research shows that stress affects one’s problem-solving ability and causes them to make bad decisions.
- The fix is simple if a candidate can take a disciplined approach: limit their use of social media, go out to the balcony or at least the window sill to get some fresh air when they take short breaks in-between studying or working and get up to stretch their legs.
- It may feel like they will have less time for work if they do all this, but the time they will have will be much more productive.
2. Breaks at Regular Intervals
- Research shows that one’s mind focuses best in shorter spurts.
- So try to take two-three-minute breaks after every 30 minutes of intense concentration.
- During this time, do anything that doesn’t take up mind space: take a walk, listen to a quick song, or have a little chat with their favourite co-worker.
- Things like scrolling on social media aren’t recommended because they want to avoid losing track of time and getting too involved in something else at this time.
- Short three-minute breaks every 30 minutes or so will help them come back to the job reinvigorated.
- It will also help you avoid digital eye strain and muscle stiffness if they work on the computer a lot.
3. Plan and Execute the Same at your Own Pace
- One shouldn’t be too hard on themselves
- When the candidate find their attention drifting; it’s just how the human brain works.
- Instead, focus their energy on bringing their attention back to work when this happens.
- Set smaller tasks.
- Pat yourself on the back when those are achieved
4. One Thing at a Time
- A lot of the candidates believe that the most efficient people are multi-taskers, but this is simply not true.
- Research has shown that multitasking actually hampers productivity
- If one shift from task to task without finishing any, they are telling your mind that it is okay to lose concentration
- The best way to handle it is to make a rule: finish the task at hand first.
- This way they can train your brain to concentrate when it tries to switch to another task.
- If the candidate have a home office or if they are studying for exams at home, it is very easy to slip into a routine where they sit in bed to work.
- Not only does this affect their posture — leading to neck, shoulder and back pain eventually — it affects their focus, too.
- One’s brain associates the bed with a place to sleep.
- When they try to work while sitting on their bed, they end up confusing their brain by demanding both sleep and concentration.
- The best way to work around this is to stick to the rule of always working at their designated workstation – preferably at an upright chair and a table.
6. Remind Yourself Often
- Losing focus as they get tired is absolutely natural.
- But one can stretch yourself just a little bit more when they really need to.
- Whenever they are too tired to work, acknowledge that they are tired.
- Remind themselves why they need to get this chapter or file or job done now.
- Then do five more things towards completing this report or chapter before taking a short break.
- Drink a glass of water.
- Remember, the idea is to back yourself always.
- Give yourself positive reinforcement. Believe that they will do a great job.
- Regular exercise helps increase blood flow to the brain and hence improves concentration, memory and efficiency.
- If one haven’t been regular with exercise so far, don’t start a strenuous regimen now.
- Instead, do gentle stretches or yoga.
- Practice abdominal breathing to de-stress several times a day.
- Meditate, if possible.
- They can use an app to help you do this.
8.Do not Over do
- Our brain stores important information when we sleep – without sleep, one may not be able to retain the information they are trying to cram into your brain in a short time.
- A proper sleep schedule helps their body clock designate and balance time slots for work and rest, hence improving your focus while at work.
- This also ensures that your body gets enough rest and is recharged for when you need to work at their best.
9. Balanced Diet
- Grains such as oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice, whole-wheat bread; proteins such as eggs, fatty fishes such as mackerel, salmon; vegetables such as avocados, bell peppers, beets, broccoli and green leafy vegetables go a long way in keeping you healthy and active.
- Try to avoid too much coffee or tea. Instead, drink water to stay hydrated and on top of things. Remember, a big lunch will just make you feel sleepy and skipping meals could leave they with a bad mood or even a headache.
10. Positive Feedback
- Remember that your brain loves positive reinforcement.
- Let it come from the candidate first.
- There’s no point in chiding yourself if they have lost time in the past.
- You’re studying or working on that report now.
- Research shows that positivity has a lasting impact on your overall well-being, starting with the outcome of the job at hand!
I hope this article was helpful. The key point to clear an exam lies in methodical and planned preparation. If you are a candidate who wants to pursue your dream career and looking for a good start, our Entri app has got it covered for you. Our team will help you with content and insights related to the topics of your concern. Subscribe to our app today and enrol yourself into various programmes our app offers. Tune in to the app to stay updated regarding various aspects of the subject you are interested in. Feel free to post any queries and doubts in the comment section. We will try our best to reach out. Push away all those self-doubts and negative thoughts. Try to have a clear vision. Ask yourself why you want this. Focus on the good and work hard. There is a saying that goes like this, Get up and set your shoulders to the wheel-how long is life for you? as you have come to this world leave some mark behind or where is the difference between your trees and stones they too come into existence decay and die. Each day is a precious gift bestowed upon us so make it count. Work on yourself. Stop procrastinating. Today is the day, hope for the best. Good luck.