Current affairs are one of the inevitable and compulsive topics in almost every competitive examination. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for comprehending these current affairs sections. This article has provided the top weekly current affairs from July 19 to 25, 2021, which will help all aspirants improve scores in their competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, and Banking.
Top Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2021 July 19 to 25
Here is the list of top current affairs of the week July 19 to 25, 2021, which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking, etc.
Pedro Castillo wins Presidential Election of Peru
- Pedro Castillo has won the 2021 Presidential election of Peru to be declared as the president-elect of the country.
- The 51-year-old Castillo will be sworn in as the President on 28 July.
- Castillo, head of the Marxist party, secured 50.1% of the votes to win the election.
Liverpool removed from UNESCO World Heritage list
- The UNESCO World Heritage Committee has voted to remove Liverpool Maritime Mercantile City from its world heritage list.
- The United Kingdom’s Liverpool City waterfront has been stripped off as a historic heritage site by the committee because of the “irreversible loss of attributes conveying the outstanding universal value of the property”.
- The committee took the decision citing concerns about the ongoing overdevelopment and plans for a new football stadium in the city.
Mirabai Chanu Wins Silver to open India’s medal tally at the Tokyo Olympics
- India’s ace weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu has claimed a silver medal in the Women’s 49 kg category, at Tokyo 2020 Olympics on July 24, 2021.
- This is the first medal for India at the ongoing Olympics Game in Tokyo.
- The 26-year-old Chanu lifted a total of 202kg (87kg in snatch and 115kg in clean and jerk).
- China’s Zhihui Hou bagged gold, lifting a total of 210kg. With this, she also created a new Olympic Record.
First-ever elections of Balika Panchayat were successfully held at Kunariya village of Gujarat
- In Gujarat, the Kunariya village of Kutch district has formed a first-of-its-kind, Balika Panchayat, that will work towards addressing female adolescents’ issues, of the girls, by the girls, for the girls!
- Young females from the village, aged between 10 and 21 years will contest elections for this unique panchayat.
- The first-ever elections of this Balika Panchayat were successfully held on July 19, 2021.
- Balika Panchayat is inspired by the famous TV series, Balika Vadhu, and aims to develop leadership qualities in the girls for Future Panchayat polls.
Australia’s Brisbane to Host 2032 Olympic and Paralympic games
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has voted the Australian city of Brisbane as the host city for the 2032 Summer Olympics and Paralympic Games.
- Brisbane is the third Australian city to host the Olympic Games after Melbourne in 1956 and Sydney in 2000.
- With this, Australia will also become the only second country in the world, after the United States, to stage the summer Olympic Games in three different cities.
Maharashtra set to become the first state to issue educational documents using blockchain technology
- The Government of Maharashtra has decided to issue educational documents to students of educational institutions using blockchain technology.
- With this Maharashtra will become the first state in the country and the world’s largest user of Blockchain for educational certificates.
- Currently, only Singapore, Malta, and Bahrain are the only other countries using this technology.
IOC to set up first ‘green hydrogen’ plant at Mathura
- State-owned Indian Oil Corporation (IOC), India’s largest oil firm, will build the first ‘green hydrogen’ plant of the country at its Mathura refinery, to meet the growing demand for both oil and cleaner forms of energy.
- For this, the company will make use of 250 MW of electricity which it produces from renewable sources like solar power, to produce absolutely green hydrogen through electrolysis.
Lewis Hamilton wins British Grand Prix 2021
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes-Great Britain), won the British Grand Prix 2021, for a record-extending eighth time.
- The event was held on July 18, 2021, at the Silverstone Circuit in the United Kingdom
- This is the 99th career win of seven times world champion Hamilton and the fourth win of the current season after 10 races.
- Monaco-based Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) stood second.
- Hamilton’s teammate Valtteri Bottas from Finland, finished third.
Muhammad Yunus has been chosen to receive Olympic Laurel at Tokyo Games 2021
- Bangladeshi Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus has been chosen to receive Olympic Laurel at Tokyo Games 2021.
- He will be awarded the prize for his extensive work in sports development, including founding the Yunus Sports Hub.
- Olympic Laurel award was created in 2016 to recognize endeavors in culture, education, peace, and development through sport
- It was given for the first time at the 2016 Rio Games to Kenyan former Olympian Kip Keino.
- Muhammad Yunus is a Bangladeshi social entrepreneur, banker, economist, and civil society leader who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006, for founding the Grameen Bank and pioneering the concepts of microcredit and microfinance.
2021 Cannes Film Festival Awards Winners
- The 2021 Cannes Film Festival was the 74th edition of the annual film festival. It took place from 6 to 17 July 2021 in the south of France.
- The Palme d’Or, which is the highest prize awarded at the Cannes Film Festival, went to Titane, directed by Julia Ducournau.
List of Awards
- Best Director: Leos Carax “Annette” (France)
- Best Actress: Renate Reinsve for “Worst Person in the World” (Norway)
- Best Actor: Caleb Landry Jones for “Nitram” (US)
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice the daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide a free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for competitive Examination with Entri.