Union Public Service Commission has released the Civil Services Examination notification for 2021. Interested candidates can apply online. The last date to submit the online applications is 24th March 2021. The preliminary exam has been scheduled to be held on 27th June 2021. In this article check the UPSC IAS Prelims subject-wise study material to ace your preparation and to cover all the topics.
UPSC syllabus is vast and deep which makes the exam tough. The scheduled and strict preparation strategy is inevitable to crack the IAS Prelims and the Mains. For the basic preparations, candidates can rely on the books especially the NCERT textbooks from classes VI-XII. However, we suggest some other books too included for UPSC IAS Prelims preparation.
Books are always the best companion for the competitive exams, but for the competitive objective OMR exams in-depth preparation so as the practice of mock tests to evaluate performance is a must. Along with book-based preparations, note-making, candidates should practice attempting the previous question papers too.
UPSC IAS Prelims Exam 2021
Exam Pattern & Syllabus
The Examination comprises two compulsory Papers of 200 marks each. Both the question papers will be of the objective type (multiple choice questions) and each will be of two hours duration. The question papers will be set both in Hindi and English.
The General Studies Paper-II of the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination will be a qualifying paper with minimum qualifying marks fixed at 33%. And, total qualifying marks of General Studies Paper-I of Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination as may be determined by the Commission.
Paper I ‐ (200 marks, Duration 2 hours)
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance-Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development-Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity, and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.
- General Science
Paper-II‐(200 marks, Duration-2 hours)
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision making and problem-solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data Interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency, etc. — Class X level);
UPSC IAS Prelims Subject-wise Study Material
Current Affairs is a vast topic and very much difficult to memorize. Scheduled point-wise learning and revisions with mock tests will help to cover the daily topic. For that, we can start a routine of reading
- Newspapers including The Hindu, The Indian Express, Business Standard, Economic Times.
- Magazines like Frontline, Yojana, Kurukshetra, Science Reporter, Economic & Political Weekly (EPW)
- Weekly Current Affairs Notes- Study as points
- Year Books, also help to get a summarised data-Manorama/ India Year Book
- Other Sources for Current Affairs include PIB, Lok Sabha & Rajya Sabha TV
- India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra
- Facets of Indian Culture – Spectrum
- NCERT XI (Ancient & Medieval)
- NCERT XII (Modern Indian History)
- Certificate Physical Geography – G C Leong
- NCERT VI – X (Old Syllabus)
- NCERT XI, XII (New Syllabus)
- Oxford World Atlas
- Indian Polity – M Laxmikanth
- NCERT IX-XII
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
- Economic Development & Policies in India – Jain & Ohri
- NCERT XI
- NCERT XI and XII (Contemporary World Politics)
- Current Affairs
Environment & Ecology
- Biology: NCERT Class XII (Last 4 chapters)
- Science topics included in Chemistry can also be prepared from NCERT text.
- Tata McGraw Hill CSAT Manual
- Quicker Maths by M.Tyra
- CSAT II – Arihant
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning – R S Aggarwal
- English Grammar & Composition Wren & Martin