English being the universal language, it is very important to have the basic knowledge of this language. General English is one of the common topics which is asked in most of the competitive exams. In this article, we will discuss, General English Topics for Competitive Exams 2020.
General English Topics for Competitive Exams 2020
The topics mentioned below are most common but may differ with the exams slightly.
- Topics covered under Vocabulary
- Synonyms, Antonyms, Homonyms
- Spelling Test
- Cloze Test
- Idioms and phrases
- One Word Substitution
- Sentence or phrase improvement
- Word Association
- Topics covered under Grammar
- Active and Passive Voice
- Direct & Indirect Speech
- Fill in blanks – Conjunction, Preposition, tenses, etc.
- Sentence correction/Error Spotting
- Multiple Meaning
- Topics covered under Rearrangement of Sentences
- Para jumbles/ Jumbled sentence
- Paragraph Completion
- Topics covered under Comprehension
- Reading Comprehension
- Topics covered under Descriptive
- Essay Writing/ Letter writing/ Precis Writing
General English Question And Answer For Competitive Exams
To understand the prominence of English in the competitive exam it is important to understand the types of general English questions and answers asked in the government exams. Hence, given below are a few examples of the type of questions asked in these examinations.
Question.1. Given below are 5 parts of a sentence, you are required to make a meaningful sentence. The correct order of parts is the answer:
A. Left B. The C. House D. He E. Suddenly
Ans: (3) DEABC
Question.2. In the following questions, find the correctly spelt word:
Ans: (2) Recommendation
Question.3. Rearrange the parts to form a meaningful sentence:
I read an advertisement that said : (a) posh, air-conditioned (b) gentleman of taste (c) Are available for (d) fully furnished rooms.
Ans: (2) ADCB
Question.4. Find the word spelt correctly
Ans: (3) efficient
Question.5. Bring out a meaningful sentence:
Then (a) it struck me (b) of course (c) suitable it was (d) how eminently
Tips For General English Preparation
- Building vocab: This contributes the most to ace the English language section of competitive exams. Learn new words every day and use them in daily conversation to remember them for a longer time period. Make use of flashcards for vocabulary building. Nowadays, many mobile applications for online flashcards have gained popularity, download and use them to memorize new words.
- Strong Grammar Basics: Brush up and strengthen basic English grammar essentials such as noun, verb, pronoun, tenses, prepositions, conjunctions, degree of comparison, etc. Go through some English grammar tests and guides, use English books like Wren and Martin to be well prepared. Practise exercises on tenses and active-passive voices, etc on a daily basis. Take up writing tasks, form meaningful sentences, resolve mistakes and improve.
- Improve comprehension skills: Practise reading comprehension daily, identify the manner of the paragraph and read the starting and last paragraph thoroughly, two times. Note down important points while reading to remember and carefully go through the questions to recognise and find the answer easily.
- Reading newspapers and magazines – Daily habits of going through important newspapers and magazines will help improve grammar and vocabulary. Analyze the formation of sentences, note down new words and learn their meanings. With all this, you will simultaneously prepare for general awareness and current affairs as well.
- Error spotting is difficult as you cannot remember all the grammar rules, therefore with serious reading habits, you will intuitively get to know the error in the sentence. Likewise, sentence formation is also built up with reading exercise.