Table of Contents
International Translation Day is celebrated every year on 30th September. This day is celebrated to display pride in a profession that is becoming increasingly essential in the era of progressing globalization. Also to bring awareness that languages play a vital role in development, in ensuring cultural diversity and intercultural dialogue, but also in attaining quality education for all and preserving cultural heritage.
Existence of translators have helped in understanding different cultures and works done by authors around the world and establish trades and peace within nations. Worldwide on this day the feast of St. Jerome is celebrated, who is the patron saint of translators. International Federation of Translators (FIT) set up in 1953, have been continuously promoting the idea to celebrate International Translation Day since the beginning of it’s establishment. The idea of an officially recognized International Translation Day was launched by FIT in the year 1991 to show solidarity of the translation community worldwide to promote the translation profession in different countries. Here, in this article we will discuss about history, activitities, Quiz & theme on International Translation Day.
International Translation Day 2022 – History
The United Nations General Assembly , adopted a resolution 71/288, on 24th May 2017 to celebrate 30th September as International Translation Day in order to recognize the role of language professionals in connecting nations and fostering peace, understanding and development. The day 30th September was so chosen that it is the feast of St. Jerome, who was a Bible translator and considered as the patron saint of translators.
St. Jerome was a priest from North-eastern Italy. He is known for translating most of the Bible into Latin from the Greek manuscripts of the New Testament. He also translated parts of the Hebrew Gospel into Greek. He was of Illyrian ancestry and his native tongue was the Illyrian dialect. Jerome died near Bethlehem on 30 September 420.
In 1991, International Federation of Translators (FIT) had launched an idea to officially celebrate International Translation Day to recognize the works & importance of translators.
International Translation Day – Theme
The theme of International Translation Day for the year 2022 is selected as –“ World Without Barriers”
The theme of International Translation Day of the year 2021 was “United in translation“. This theme was focused on the indigenous languages that are in danger of disappearing. As it is important to preserve and protect the languages of millions of indigenous people around the world.
International Translation Day – Activities
Every year since 2005, the United Nations invites all its staff, and students from selected partner universities to compete in the UN St. Jerome Translation Contest. In this contest participants with best translations in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish, as well as German are rewarded. By organizing this event UN aims to celebrate multilingualism and highlight the important role of translators and other language professionals in multilateral diplomacy. The International Translation Day is usually celebrated around the world by organizing a series of dedicated events, seminars and symposiums.
International Translation Day – Quotes
- “Translation is not a matter of words only: it is a matter of making intelligible whole culture – Anthony Burgess”
- “Without translation I would be limited to the borders of my own country. The translator is my most important ally. He introduces me to the world.” – Italo Calvino”
- “Translation is that which transforms everything so nothing changes – Gunther Grass”
- Translators are the shadow heroes of literature, the often forgotten instruments that make it possible for different cultures to talk to one another, who have enabled us to understand that we all, from every part of the world, live in one world.”- Paul Auster
- Writers make national literature, while translators make universal literature – Jose Saramago
- Translating from one language to another is the most delicate of intellectual exercises; compared to translation, all other puzzles, from bridge to crosswords, seem trivial and vulgar. To take a piece of Greek and put it in English without spilling a drop; what a nice skill! – Cyril Connolly
- The translator is a privileged writer who has the opportunity to rewrite masterpieces in their own language. – Javier Marías
International Translation Day – Quiz
1. What are the six official language of United Nations?
Answer: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish.
2. ________ is one of the world’s largest employers of language professionals.
Answer: The United Nations
3. When was the International Translation Day declared by UN?
Answer: On 30th of September in 2017
4. What holds the Guinness World Record as the most translated document?
Answer: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
5. In how many languages does the Universal Declaration of Human Rights exist?
Answer: More than 500 languages.
6. When is the International Translation Day celebrated?
Answer: On 30th September every year.
7. Which is the oldest Indian language?
8. Which is the world’s most translated book?
9. Who is the most translated individual author?
Answer: Agatha Christie
10. Who is the most translated Indian author?
Answer: U. R Ananthamurthy
Other Important Topics-
How you can use Entri app for your exam preparation:
- Entri provides an online platform to help you prepare for competitive exams.
- Download for free of cost and get access to video classes, exams and study cards with a single subscription fee.
- You can access full length mock tests and previous year question papers.
Hope you have benefited from this article. Check us for further details. Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming exams.