Indian Army is the proud of the nation & considers as one of the biggest and strongest in the world. Every year Indian army celebrates January 15 as the Army day for the last 73 years. January 15 is celebrated as Indian Army Day every year as it was on this day that the first Indian general took charge of the Army. In 1949, General KM Cariappa (later Field Marshal) took over as the commander-in-chief of the Indian Army. He took over from General Sir Francis Robert Roy Bucher who was the last English commander of the Indian army.
Indian Army Day 2023
In India, where army & its members are considered as the pride & honour of the nation. The Indian Army was established on April 1, 1895. However, after independence – on January 15, 1949 – the army got its first Indian chief. India celebrates the Indian Army day to highlight this power transfer from the last English commander to the commander-in-chief General KM Cariappa (later Field Marshal).
On the occasion of Army Day, the nation salutes the invincible courage, the valour of all the soldiers of the country. Army Day is a grand celebration of India’s military might and it’s unsung personnel. Army headquarters in the country celebrate the day by organising various military parades, which showcase aerial stunts and bike pyramids. The parade is typically held at Parade Ground, Delhi Cantonment, where the Chief of Army Staff, will inspect the parade. In 2020, Captain Tania Shergill became the first female officer to command an Army Day parade. The Chief of Staff will distribute various gallantry awards and Sena medals on this day. Every year the Param Vir Chakra and Ashok Chakra awardees also participate in the Army Day parade. The government leader and general public also pay tribute to the army at ‘Amar Jawan Jyoti’ at India Gate.
The theme for the 2020 Army day celebrations was ‘Digital Transformation of Defense’, the same for 2022 is yet to know. We will update you once the Indian Army Day 2022 theme is published.
Indian Army Day Quotes 2023
- Bravery is Daring to Try Where Others would Not
- “If death strikes, before I prove my blood, I swear I will kill death” – Captain Manoj Kumar Pandey
- “Either I will come back hoisting the Tricolor, or I will come back wrapped in it, but I will be back for sure” – Captain Vikram Batra
- “Some goals are so worthy, it’s glorious even to fail” – Captain Manoj Kumar Pandey
- “If a man says he is not afraid of dying, he is either lying or a Gurkha” – Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw
- “We fight to win and win with a knock out, because there are no runners up in war” -General JJ Singh
Indian Army Day Quiz 2023
- When does India observe the Indian Army Day?
Ans: January 15
- Who was the last English Commander of the Indian Army?
Ans: General Sir Francis Robert Roy Bucher
- Who is the first female officer to command Indian Army Day?
Ans: Captain Tania Shergill
- Who was the first Indian Commander of our army?
Ans: General KM Cariappa (later Field Marshal)
- What is the Indian Army’s motto?
The motto of the Indian Army says “Service before self.”
Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming examinations. Start your Preparation today itself. Entri will help you with thousands of questions. Attempt mock tests, analyze yourselves to improve your success rate.