General Knowledge questions have become a vital part of any other competitive exams. Static GK along with the daily dose of current affairs updates are required to ace these exams. Even one mark can decide your position in the rank lists. Sports and sports personalities and major sports awards in India are the examiners favorite choice. But most of us ignore this part since its question share is tiny. Here we are discussing the sports awards in India and award recipients of 2019.
Sports Awards in India
Every year the President of India presents the National Sports Day Awards on the birth anniversary of Major Dhyan Chand to sportspersons from the country at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi. The Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is the highest sporting honor in the country. The major sports awards in India are:
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
- Arjuna Award
- Dronacharya Award
- Dronacharya Award (lifetime category)
- Dhyan Chand Award
Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports presents this prestigious honor, annually to the eminent sports personalities in India. The recipient is selected by a committee constituted by the Ministry and is honored for their “spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports over a period of four years” at the international level. The award comprises a medallion, a certificate, and a cash prize of Rs. 750000. The first recipient of the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award was Chess Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand, who was honored for the performance in the year 1991–92. The first Paralympian to receive the award is 2019 winner Deepa Malik.
Click here to check the SSC Exam Calendar:
The Arjuna Awards are awarded by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, to recognize outstanding achievement in sports. The award carries a cash prize of ₹ 500,000, a bronze statue of Arjuna and a scroll.
The Dronacharya Award, officially known as Dronacharya Award for Outstanding Coaches in Sports and Games, is a sports coaching honor. The award comprises a bronze statuette of Dronacharya, a cash prize of ₹ 5 lakh, a certificate, and ceremonial dress. The first recipients of the award who were honored in 1985 were Bhalachandra Bhaskar Bhagwat (Wrestling), Om Prakash Bhardwaj (Boxing), and O. M. Nambiar (Athletics).
Dhyan Chand Award
The Dhyan Chand Award, officially known as Dhyan Chand Award for Lifetime Achievement in Sports and Games, is the lifetime achievement sporting honor. The first recipients of the award who were honored in 2002 were Shahuraj Birajdar (Boxing), Ashok Diwan (Hockey), and Aparna Ghosh (Basketball).
Along with the above-given awards, the eminent sports personalities in India will also get conferred with other civilian honors like Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri, Padma Vibhushan, etc. Other than the Union government different state governments to honor the sports personalities with different awards and honorary titles.
Sports Awards in India 2019
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award: Deepa Malik (Para-Athletics), Bajrang Punia (Wrestling)
- Arjuna Award: Ravindra Jadeja (Cricket), Mohammed Anas (Athletics), Gurpreet Singh Sandhu (Football), Sonia Lather (Boxing), Chinglensana Singh Kangujam (Hockey), S Bhaskaran (Bodybuilding), Ajay Thakur (Kabaddi), Anjum Moudgil (Shooting), Bhamidipati Sai Praneeth (Badminton), Tajinder Pal Singh Toor (Athletics), Pramod Bhagat (Para sports-badminton), Harmeet Rajul Desai (Table tennis), Pooja Dhanda (Wrestling), Fouad Mirza (Equestrian), Simran Singh Shergill (Polo), Poonam Yadav (Cricket), Swapna Burman (Athletics), Sundar Singh Gurjar (Para sports-athletics) and Gaurav Singh Gill (Motorsports).
- Dronacharya Award: Mohinder Singh Dhillon (Athletics), Sandeep Gupta (Table Tennis) and Vimal Kumar (Badminton).
- Dronacharya Award (lifetime category): Sanjay Bhardwaj (Cricket), Rambir Singh Khokar (Kabaddi) and Mezban Patel (Hockey).
- Dhyan Chand Award: Manoj Kumar (Wrestling), C Lalremsanga (Archery), Arup Basak (TableTennis), Nitten Kirrtane (Tennis) and Manuel Fredricks (Hockey).
Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming examinations. Start your Preparation today itself. Entri will help you with thousands of questions. Attempt mock tests, analyze yourselves to improve your success rate.
Discussion about this post