Indian Administrative Service (IAS), is one of the thriving jobs chosen by the aspirants who wish to be part of Public Administration. This premier job can only be accomplished by cracking the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) examination. As much as the priority considered, it is one of the strenuous exams in our country. So, most times aspirants quit after one or two tries. For such persons, the State level Administrative Service Exams are really helpful. Although the difficulty level and syllabus are similar to the UPSC, they have more advantages when coming to the state level. So, in this article, we are discussing salient features of the Kerala and Karnataka Administrative Service exams.
|Name of Organisation||Kerala Public Service Commission||Karnataka Public Service Commission|
Administrative Service: Qualifications
For both the services, a recognized Graduate degree or equivalent is a must educational qualification.
For both exams, age relaxations are given to the eligible candidates.
Kerala: No fess.
Karnataka: For the general and OBC category candidates Rs. 300/-. And for category 2A/2B/3A/3B Rs. 150/-. The SC/ST/Cat-1/PH/Ex-servicemen are exempted from fees.
Both State PSCs follows the UPSC pattern itself for conducting the exam. Therefore, the exam is having three phases, say,
- Preliminary Objective Examination.
- Descriptive Mains Examination
- Personality Test/ Interview
Exam Pattern: Karnataka Administrative Service
|General Studies related to National and International importance||40||80|
|General Studies related to State Importance||40||80|
|General Science & Tech, Environment & Ecology||30||60|
|General Mental Ability||30||60|
|Paper III & IV
|Paper V, VI, VII, & VIII||Optional Subject ( Any Two)||300(Each Paper)|
Optional Subjects provided are:
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Sciences and Fisheries
- Civil Engineering
- Agriculture, Agricultural Marketing Co-operation, and Sericulture
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Political Science & International Relations
- Public Administration
- Rural Development & Co-operation
- Current Events of National & International Importance.
- Humanities – History of India – Emphasis shall be on the broad general understanding of the subject in its social, economic, cultural and political aspects with a focus on Indian national movement with special emphasis on Karnataka State.
- World Geography and Geography of India with a focus on the Karnataka.
- Indian Polity and Economy, including the country’s political system, rural development, planning and economic reforms in India-sustainable development, poverty alleviation, demographics, social sector initiatives, etc., related to India.
- Current events of State importance and the important State Government programs.
- General Science & Technology, Environment & Ecology – Contemporary developments in science and technology, and their implications, general issues on Health, environmental ecology, biodiversity, and climate change- that do not require subject specialization.
- General Mental Ability includes Comprehension, Logical Reasoning, and Analytical ability, Decision-making, problem-solving, Basic number system and data interpretation.
KPSC KAS Mains Syllabus
General Studies I
- Modern History of India and Indian Culture with special reference to the History and Culture of Karnataka
- Current events of State, National, and International importance
- Statistical Analysis, Graphs, and Diagrams.
General Studies – II
- Indian Polity with special reference to the state of Karnataka.
- Indian Economy and Geography of India with special reference to Karnataka Economy and Karnataka Geography
- The role and the impact of Science and Technology in the development of Karnataka and India.
Exam Pattern: Kerala Administrative Service
1. Language Proficiency in Malayalam/ Tamil/ Kannada
|2. Language Proficiency English||English||20|
The mains subjects are yet to be released. There will be three descriptive papers for 100 marks each with a duration of two hours for every paper.
And the Personal Interview is having 50 marks.
How Entri Can Help Your Preparation?
For every administrative level examination, critical thinking of the subject topics is important. Candidates’ perspective towards an issue, descriptive preparation about the point, everything matters! The prelims exam really needs hard work from the candidate. Entri comes up with new online coaching including all these topics, classes from eminent faculties, previous year question papers, a large number of mock test papers. Practicing all these, you can really be confident about attempting the exam with a calm mind. Entri wishes all good luck!