Table of Contents
As far as the Indian Freedom Movement is considered, the month of August has witnessed many great events. One of the greatest episodes of the freedom struggle that ultimately led to the Indian Independence is the Quit India Movement. After being in the clutches of the British for centuries, all that the people of India wanted was immediate independence. Focusing on this ultimate aim, the Quit India Movement was launched on August 08, 1942. Thousands of freedom fighters sacrificed their lives in this cause. As we now live in an independent nation, every year we commemorate the hardships and sacrifices made by our forefathers during the Quit India Movement. We honor this day as Quit India Movement Day and spread the word about it through various activities. Let us now read the details of Quit India Movement Day 2023 in this article.
Quit India Movement – A Brief History
As we all know, the Indian Independence Movement was not an easy task. The freedom fighters struggle and sacrificed day in and day out to achieve independence, the fruits of which we enjoy till date. Each battle or movement, be it big or small, associated with the Indian Freedom Movement is important in history. However, when we look at the major events that took place towards the final years of Indian Independence movement, one event outshines the rest. This is none other than the Quit India Movement. In this section of the article let us understand more about the Quit India Movement and why we celebrate a peculiar day to commemorate it.
During the period of World War II, the British wanted the support of Indians in their war efforts. After the Cripps Mission to convince India to play hand-in-hand with the British in the second world war failed, the British soon saw India demanding an end to their rule in the country.
Also known as the ‘Leave India Movement’, ‘Depart India Movement’, ‘August Movement’ or ‘August Kranti’, the Quit India Movement holds an important place in the Indian History. After many years of struggle and hardships to free India from the British, an initiative by the All India Congress Committee acted as a breakthrough in the Indian Freedom Movement. On the 08th of August 1942, in the Bombay session of the All India Congress Committee , Mahatma Gandhi pronounced the Quit India Movement demanding prompt freedom to the nation. Many other prominent leaders like Jawaharlal Nehru, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, Abul Kalam Azad, Aruna Asaf Ali stood by the side of Gandhi in this final attempt to set India free.
Quit India Movement Significance
Marked as one of the jutting movements in the freedom movement, the significance of the Quit India Movement is incomparable. Some of the major points to keep in mind are given below:
- The failure of Cripps mission boosted the confidence of the Indian freedom fighters.
- Quit India movement saw nation-wide protests at various organizations under the colonial occupation like railway stations, telegraph stations, etc.
- The movement lasted from August 8, 1942 to September 21, 1942. This period saw many arrests of important leaders including imprisonment of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Bharat Chodo ANdholan became so fierce that the British even announced the All India Congress Committee to be an unsanctioned organization.
- Netaji Subash Chandra Bose fled India and organized the Indian Nationwide Military (INA) abroad.
- The entire Indian population united for the cause of Indian Independence which was difficult to achieve earlier.
Quit India Movement Day 2023 Date
In order to commemorate the Quit India Resolution passed on 08th of August 1942, each year, the same day is observed as the Quit India Movement Day.
Quit India Movement Day 2023 Date- 08th of August, 2023 (Tuesday)
|2022||08th of August, Monday|
|2023||08th of August, Tuesday|
|2024||08th of August, Thursday|
|2025||08th of August, Friday|
|2026||08th of August, Saturday|
Quit India Speech
The person behind it all, i.e, Mohandas Karam Chand Gandhi, gave a speech in the All India Congress Committee during its Bombay session in 1942 summoning the Quit India Movement. This fierce speech is still echoing in the patriotic hearts of millions in the country. The motivation and the confidence that his words gave to the fellow Indians through his speech cannot be compared to anything else in the world. Gandhi made a determinant resolution to free India of the colonial empire in his speech. The speech which was originally given in Hindi language is now translated into many other languages for the ease of understanding. It is in this oration that Gandhi gave the call for “ Do or Die”. This speech was given at the Gowalia Tank Maidan Park, now renamed as ‘ August Kranti Maidan’. Within a barely limited time, his word spread like forest fire. Thus , people from all levels in the country (not only national leaders) united for the sake of India’s freedom.
Quit India Movement Day 2023 Quotes
Some of the major excerpts from the iconic speech given by Mahatma Gandhi are listed in the section below.
- “Ours is not a drive for power, but purely a non-violent fight for India’s independence.”
- “Truth alone will endure, all the rest will be swept always in the tide of Time.”
- “A nonviolent soldier of freedom will covet nothing for himself, he fights only for the freedom of his country.”
- “ ‘Do or Die’. We shall either free India or die in the attempt; we shall not live to see the perpetuation of our slavery.”
- “Do not fear. Trust the little voice residing within your heart.”
- “I am not going to be satisfied with anything short of complete freedom
- “Let every Indian consider himself to be a free man.”
- “Everybody will be his own master. “
- “In the democracy which I have envisaged, a democracy established by nonviolence, there will be equal freedom for all.”
- “I believe that in the history of the world, there has not been a more genuinely democratic struggle for freedom than ours.”
Quit India Movement Slogan 2023
“ Do or Die “ – Quit India Movement Slogan
While addressing the gathering in the Bombay session of All India Congress Committee in 1942, Mohandas Karam Chand Gandhi said, “Karo ya Maro”. This translates to “Do or Die” and went on to become one of the most powerful slogans ever used in the Indian Freedom Movement.
In the list below, we will give you some of the famous slogans used in the Indian Freedom Movement.
- “Vande Mataram!” – Bankim Chandra Chatterjee
- “Satyameva Jayate” – Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya
- “Swaraj is my birthright and I shall have it,”- Bal Gangadhar Tilak
- “Inqlaab Zindabad”- Shaheed Bhagat Singh
- “Jai Hind”: Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose
- “Jai Jawaan, Jai Kisaan” : Lal Bahadur Shastri
- “Araam Haraam hai” : Jawaharlal Nehru
- “Sare Jahan Se Achha Hindustan Hamara” – Muhammad Iqbal
Quit India Movement Leaders
As the Quit India Movement or the Bharat Chodo Andolan was a nationwide movement, lakhs of leaders and common people participated in it. Apart from the national leaders of the congress many people worked for this movement with the ultimate aim of independence to the motherland. In this section we will list some of the prominent and distinguished names of the Quit India Movement.
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
- Jawaharlal Nehru
- Dr. Rajendra Prasad
- Subash Chandra Bose
- Mohammed Ali Jinnah
- Asoka Mehta, Jaya Prakas Narayan
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Chakravarti Rajgopalachari
- Nana Patil
- Chittu Pande
- Sumati Morarjee
- Captain Mohan Singh
- Sucheta Kripalani
- Aruna Asaf Ali
- Maya Thomas
- K.G. Mashruwalla
- Matangini Hazra
- Biju Patnaik
- Lakshman Naik
- Rukmini Lakshmipathi
- C. Rajagopalachari
- Chliotubhai Puranik
- Rashbehari Bose
- Bhulabhai Desai
- Usha Mehta
- R.P. Goenka
- Sumati Morarjee
- Jayaprakash Narayan
- Ram Manohar Lohia
- Padmaja Naidu
- Achyut Patwardhan
- A.V. Kuttimalu Amma
- Sister Subbalakshmi
Possible Celebrations on Quit India Movement Day 2023
As the Quit India Movement Day is soon approaching, all of us shall take some time out to commemorate what the freedom fighters truly did for us. We enjoy the freedom that our ancestors struggled for once. So, take each moment to fill up your heart and soul with gratitude.
- Read the legacy of the movement
During a time when the habit of reading is slowly disappearing , devote this day to reading and understanding the Indian Freedom Movement, especially, the Quit India Movement. This will help each and everyone to be thankful for what we have now and never take things for granted.
- Play Dress Up
If there are young kids in and around your locality, the best thing that you can do as an adult is to organize a dress up event. Let the young children dress like their favorite freedom fighter from the Quit India Movement. Encourage the kids to share and speak of what they know about their favorite leader.
- Organize a Slogan Writing Contest
As the Indian Freedom Movement is rich in events, there are undoubtedly many slogans and quotes associated with it. So, why not organize a slogan writing contest for people of different age groups to familiarize with history? Try doing it for this Quit India Movement Day!
- Use social media to spread the word
In the present scenario, where the pandemic has hit all of us to the worst ever possible, sometimes organizing an event may be impossible for us. So, let us still try to keep up the spirit high by using various social media handles to spread the word. Let the world not forget the greatness of this day! Use the hashtag #quitindiamovementday and write messages commemorating the freedom fighters.
- Take it light- Go watch a movie
If you have some extra time to spare, watching any movie related to the Indian Freedom Movement will bring in the right amount of patriotism within you. There are hundreds of cinemas that showcase the freedom fighters and the story of Indian Independence. So, pick up your favorite one and enjoy the show!
- Involve in Social Service
As busy people are, we often tend to not find any time for serving society. Most of us are busy with our daily chores and activities that we do not find to fulfill our duty as a citizen. So, on this day, call your friends over, and involve in some social service. It can be cleaning your locality, installing new waiting areas at road sides, ensuring proper drinking water supply at public places, serving the people at old age homes or palliative care units, etc.
Quit India Movement Quiz 2023
1) Who coined the Slogan “Quit India”?
Answer: Yusuf Meher Ali
2) Quit India Movement is aslo known as _____?
Answer: August Movement, August Kranti
3) Quit India Movement is started in ___?
Answer: August 1942
4) Gandhiji delivered the famous Do or Die Speech on ___?
Answer: 8 August 1942
5) By whom the Quit India resolution was moved in the Bombay Session of the Congress in the year 1942?
Answer: Jawaharlal Nehru
6) What was the slogan adopted by Muslim League during Quit India movement?
Answer: Divide and Quit
7) For which movement Mahathma Gandhi gave the slogan Do or Die ?
Answer: Quit India Movement
8) When did India gets freedom?
Answer: 15 August 1947
Pay Your Tribute!
As we conclude this article on the Quit India Movement Day 2023, we would like to give a gentle reminder to all the people out there, to pay your tribute for the freedom fighters who sacrificed their lives for the independence of the nation. Not only on a peculiar day, we must, at all times, be grateful for the freedom that they have gifted us. Take a moment to appreciate the freedom that we enjoy today and be forever thankful for all the sacrifices made on its path!