Current affairs is one of the inevitable and compulsive topics in almost every competitive examination. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for mastering these current affairs sections. In this article, we have provided the top weekly current affairs from April 19 to 25, 2021 which will help all aspirants to improve scores in their competitive examination like PSC, SSC, RRB, and Banking.
Top Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2021 April 19 to 25
Here is the list of top current affairs of the week April 19 to 25, 2021 which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking, etc.
Justice Nuthalapati Venkata Ramana takes oath as 48th Chief Justice of India
- Justice Nuthalapati Venkata Ramana was sworn in as the 48th Chief Justice of India (CJI) on April 24, 2021.
- Justice Ramana was administered the oath of office by President Ram Nath Kovind at a brief ceremony held at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- He succeeds Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde who demitted office on April 23, 2021.
- Justice Ramana will serve as the Chief Justice till 26 August 2022.
NASA’s Robotic Helicopter ‘Ingenuity’ Makes Historic First Flight on Mars
- US Space agency NASA successfully flew its tiny robotic helicopter ‘Ingenuity’ on Mars on April 19, 2021, becoming the first human-made machine to take flight on another planet.
- Ingenuity Mars Helicopter successfully completed the first powered controlled flight by an aircraft on any planet besides Earth on 19 April 2021, taking off vertically, hovering, and landing.
- Ingenuity rose 3 m (9.8 ft), hovered there for about 30 seconds, before returning to the surface of Mars with a total flight time of 39.1 seconds.
- After this historic feat, the engineers have named the take-off and landing area in Jezero Crater of Mars as ‘Wright Brothers Field’.
Accenture Chief Rekha Menon takes over as first woman Chairperson of NASSCOM
- Rekha M Menon has been appointed as the Chairperson of the National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM), the apex IT industry body, for 2021-22.
- Rekha M Menon, who currently is the Chairperson of Accenture India, will be the first woman to take the role of chairperson for Nasscom in its 30-year history. Prior to this, she was the vice-chair of NASSCOM.
- She succeeds U.B. Pravin Rao, chief operating officer, Infosys Ltd, who served as chairman of Nasscom for 2020-21.
- Besides, Krishnan Ramanujam, TCS President, has been appointed as the vice-chairperson.
M Narasimham “The Father of Banking Reforms” Passes Away
- The former Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI), M Narasimham, who was considered as the “father of banking reforms in India” has passed away due to Covid-19 related illness. He was 94.
- He served as the 13th Governor of RBI for a short period of seven months between May and November 1977.
- He was the first and only governor to be appointed from the Reserve Bank cadre.
19th India-France Naval Exercise VARUNA – 2021 to begin in the Arabian Sea
- The 19th edition of the Indian and French Navy bilateral exercise ‘VARUNA-2021’ will be conducted in the Arabian Sea from 25 to 27 April 2021.
- During the three day exercise, the units of both the navies will undertake high tempo-naval operations at sea, which will include advanced air defence and anti-submarine exercises, intense fixed and rotary wing flying operations, tactical maneuvers, surface, and anti-air weapon firings, underway replenishment, and other maritime security operations.
- The Indian Navy will participate with its guided-missile stealth destroyer INS Kolkata, guided-missile frigates INS Tarkash and INS Talwar, Fleet Support Ship INS Deepak, with Seaking 42B and Chetak integral helicopters, a Kalvari class submarine, and P8I Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft.
Priyanka Mohite Becomes First Indian Woman To Scale Mt Annapurna
- Priyanka Mohite has become the first Indian woman to scale Mt Annapurna, the tenth highest mountain in the world.
- The 26-year-old mountaineer achieved the feat on April 16, 2021. Mt Annapurna is a massif in the Himalayas in north-central Nepal situated 8,091 meters (26,545 ft) above sea level.
- Priyanka hails from the Satara district in Maharashtra.
- She also holds the record for being the first woman in India to scale Mt Makalu, the fifth highest mountain in the world at 8,485 meters in May 2019.
- Apart from this Priyanka has previously climbed Mt Everest in 2013 and Mt Lhotse in 2018.
New Zealand introduces world’s first climate change law for financial firms
- New Zealand has become the first country in the world to introduce first-of-its-kind legislation that will require the financial sector, including banks, insurers, and investment managers, to report the effects of climate change on their business.
- Under the law, the financial firms of the country will have to disclose how they would manage climate-related risks and opportunities.
- Once the law is passed, disclosures will be required for financial years beginning 2022, which means that the first reports will be made by companies in 2023, and those unable to disclose would have to explain their reasons.
India Ranks 142 in World Press Freedom Index 2021
- India has been placed at 142nd position among 180 countries in the latest World Press Freedom Index 2021, released on April 20, 2021.
- India was at 142nd position in 2020 as well.
- The index is published every year by the international journalism not-for-profit body, “Reporters Without Borders (RSF)”, to evaluate the press freedom situation in 180 countries and territories.
- Norway has retained its top spot for the fifth year running, followed by Finland and Denmark at second and third place respectively.
- Eritrea is at the bottom of the index at 180th place.
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice the daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide a free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for competitive Examination with Entri.