Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is expected to release the notification for the post of Grade B Officers in the upcoming months. RBI Grade B officer is the most preferred posts because of the social status and financial security it offers. The exam is conducted in 3 stages: Prelims, Mains and Interview. In this article, we are presenting a detailed strategy for Finance and Management section in the Phase II exam of RBI Grade B.
RBI Grade B Prelims Pattern
|Section||No of questions||Maximum marks||Time Duration|
RBI Grade B Mains Exam Pattern
|Section||Maximum marks||Time Duration|
|Economics and Social Issues||100||90 minutes|
|Finance & Management||100||90 minutes|
|Descriptive (Writing Skills)||100||90 minutes|
Finance and Management for RBI – Preparation Tips
RBI Grade B Syllabus & Expected Topics
1. Financial System:
- Regulators of Banks and Financial Institutions, Reserve Bank of India- functions and conduct of monetary policy, Banking System in India, Financial Institutions – SIDBI, EXIM, NABARD, NHB, etc.
- Regulators of Banks & Financial Institutions
2. Financial Markets:
- Primary and Secondary Markets (Forex, Money, Bond, Equity, etc.)- functions, instruments, recent developments.
3. General Topics
- Risk Management in Banking Sector
- Basics of Derivatives: Forward, Futures and Swap
- Changing Landscape of Banking sector
- Recent Developments in the Financial Sector, Portfolio Investment, Public Sector Reforms, Disinvestments
- Financial Inclusion- use of technology
- Alternate source of finance, private and social cost-benefit, Public-Private Partnership
- Corporate Governance in Banking Sector, the role of e-governance in addressing the issues of corruption and inefficiency in the government sector.
- The Union Budget – Direct and Indirect taxes; Non-tax sources of Revenue, GST, Thirteenth Finance Commission and GST, Finance Commission, Fiscal Policy, Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Act (FRBM),
- Inflation: Definition, trends, estimates, consequences, and remedies (control): WPI, CPI – components and trends.
- Nature and scope; The Role of a Manager in an Organisation.
- The Management Processes- Planning, Organisation, Staffing, Directing and Controlling;
- Leadership: The Tasks of a Leader; Leadership Styles; Leadership Theories; A successful Leader versus an effective Leader.
- Human Resource Development: Concept of HRD; Goals of HRD; Performance Appraisal, Potential appraisal and development, Feedback and Performance Counselling
- Career Planning – Training and Development, Rewards, Employee Welfare.
- Motivation, Morale and Incentives: Theories of Motivation; How Managers Motivate; Concept of Morale; Factors determining morale; Role of Incentives in Building up Morale.
- Communication: Steps in the Communication Process; Communication Channels; Oral versus Written Communication; Verbal versus non-verbal Communication; upward, downward and lateral communication; Barriers to Communication, Role of Information Technology.
- Corporate Governance: Factors affecting Corporate Governance; Mechanisms of Corporate Governance.
Books for Reference
- Economic Growth and Development by Mayer and Baldwin
- Indian Financial System by M.Y Khan
- NCERT Business Studies (12th standard)
- Financial Management by Prasanna Chandra
- RBI Circulars
- Union Budget Capsules
- Banking and Finance: Banking, Insurance and Other Financial Institutes by Arun Arora
Quick Tips for Sure Selection
- Unlike other bank exams, we can never expect RBI to follow a definite pattern in the topics or questions asked.
- Detailed knowledge is advised rather than reading a lot of materials since it causes the wasting of your precious time.
- Understand the syllabus thoroughly and then plan your studies accordingly.
- Stay motivated throughout time. There are high chances of getting demotivated but always remember your dreams are much higher than your expectations
Entri app provides you with the best online learning platform for various Government examinations like State PSC, SSC, RRB, BANKING and other competitive exams.1000+ video classes on various topics handled by our expert faculties will help you clear the concept and makes you excel in the subject. We also try to clear your doubts through doubt clearing sessions. You will be provided with quality quizzes and mock tests to brush up your concepts and improve weak areas