Table of Contents
International Day of Action For Rivers day is celebrated on March 14 every year to raise awareness about the value and importance of rivers. Also, it brings people from all over the world together to discuss and promote awareness about pollution, river management, and equitable access to clean, flowing water. This year’s International Day of Action for Rivers, which marked its 26th anniversary, has the theme “Rights of Rivers” as its celebration. Check the significance, History and further details below.
International Day of Action for Rivers 2023: History
International Rivers Network (I.R.N.), Save the Narmada Movement (N.B.A.), Chile’s Biobio Action Group (GABB), and European Rivers Network (ERN) joined together in September 1995 and had a preparatory conference in Brazil. They consequently established an international organizing committee under the direction of the Movement of People Affected by Big Dams in Brazil (MAB).
The First World Conference of People Affected by Dams, held in March 1997 in Curitiba, Brazil, saw the adoption of the International Day of Action for Rivers. Representatives from 20 nations agreed that the International Day of Action would coincide with Brazil’s Day of Action Against Big Dams on March 14. The primary goals of the day are to raise collective voices against harmful water development projects, reclaim the health of watersheds, and call for the equitable and sustainable management of rivers. Continue reading for more details.
International Day of Action for Rivers: Timeline
1995: Formation of an International Organizing Committee
1997: The first International Day of Action For Rivers is adopted by representatives from 20 countries in Curitiba Brazil.
2010: People Get More Awareness of the Day
2021: Due to the pandemic, many organizations conduct events online to celebrate International Day of Action For Rivers.
International Day of Action for Rivers: Theme
International Day of Action for Rivers has celebrated its 26th anniversary in 2023 with the theme “Rights of Rivers.” The day is celebrated to raise awareness about the value and importance of rivers. It spreads awareness about how rivers sustain our lives. Check out here to learn more about how to celebrate the day.
How to Celebrate International Day of Action for Rivers: Activities
- Organize a photo campaigh which capture the importance of river
- Shoot a documentary to raise awareness about the value and awareness about how rivers sustain our lives
- Create posters and slogans which focuses on restoring and maintaining rivers
- To honour the rivers, you can organise a personal prayer ceremony, parties and other events that you really wanted to do
- Clean up river and other water sources to show their importance
- Educate others about the importance of rivers
International Day of Action for Rivers: Quotes
- ” Rivers are the arteries of our planet. They are lifelines in the truest sense.”
- ” A River Cuts Through A Rock Not Because Of Its Power But Because Of Its Persistence.”
- ” The care of rivers is not a question of rivers but of the human heart.”
- ” May what I do flow from me like a river, no forcing and no holding back, the way it is with children.”
- “A river seems a magic thing. Magic, moving, living part of the very earth itself.”
International Day of Action for Rivers: Quiz
Q1. From where the river Godavari originates?
Q2. Where is Mayurakshi project?
Q3. River Narmada flows to?
Q4. What name is given to the lower part of river as it nears the ocean?
Q5. How long is the River Nile?