Kerala PSC Live Stock Inspector Grade 2 Syllabus is published on the PSC official website. PSC will conduct the written test for the following posts from the below-given syllabus: Livestock Inspector Grade-II, Poultry Assistant, Milk Recorder, Store Keeper, Enumerator, and Chick Sexer.
Kerala PSC Live Stock Inspector Grade 2 Syllabus
Kerala PSC has published the detailed syllabus for the Live STock Inspector Grade 2 post. PSC had scheduled the written test against this post in May across various notifications like Category Number: 267/2017, 375/2019, 534/2019, 535/2019, 536/2019, 185/2020, 252/2020 and 102/2019. Selected candidates will get hired on the pay scale of Rs. 20000-45800/- in the Animal Husbandry department.
Introduction to Animal Husbandry
- Livestock statistics – Current population status of cattle, buffalo, goat, sheep, pig, chicken, duck, turkey, quail. Contribution of livestock to Indian Economy.Current production status of livestock sector – Impact of the livestock sector on Indian economy
- Common terminologies of Animal Husbandry – Different terms associated with the husbandry of cattle, buffalo, goat, sheep, pig, chicken, duck, turkey and quail.
- Farming systems – Farming systems (mixed, diversified, specialised, organic, integrated) and types of Dairy farming (family cow, commercial, corral, high-tech).
- Advantages and disadvantages of rearing animals and birds.
Kerala PSC Live Stock Inspector Syllabus: Breeds of Livestock
- Definition of breed, class, variety and strain.
- Breeds of cattle – Origin, breed characteristics and salient features of Sahiwal, Red Sindhi, Gir, Deoni, Hallikar, Kangayam, Amrit Mahal, Kankrej, Hariana, Tharparkar, Vechur, Kasaragod dwarf, Jersey, Holstein Friesian, Brown Swiss
- Breeds of buffalo – Origin, breed characteristics and salient features of Murrah, Surti, Jaffarabadi, Mehsana, Nili Ravi
- Classification and comparison of breeds according to origin and utility.
- Breeds of goats and sheep – Origin, breed characteristics and salient features of Malabari, Attapady black, Beetel, Jamunapari, Barbari, Saanen, Alpine, Boer, Kashmiri, Marwari, merino etc.
- Breeds of pigs – Origin, breed characteristics and salient features of large white Yorkshire, Landrace, Duroc, Berkshire, Hampshire
- Comparison of Indian and exotic breeds of cattle
- Breeds of chicken – Origin, breed characteristics and salient features of White leghorn, Black Minorca, RIR, New Hampshire, Australorp, Plymouth rock, Cornish, Brahma, Cochin, Aseel, Kadaknath, Naked neck, Austro-white, Gramapriya, Athulya, Giriraja.
- Classification of fowls based on geographical distribution with class characteristics (American, English, Mediterranean, Asiatic) Breeds of duck, turkey, quail – Origin, breed characteristics and salient features of Muscovy, White Pekin, Indian runner, Khakhi Campbell, Chara, Chemballi, Broad breasted bronze, Beltsville
small white, Japanese quail, bobwhite quail
Identification of Animals and Age Determination of Cattle
- Comparison of different methods of identification commonly used in animals.Commonly used methods of identification in animals and birds – Hot iron branding, Chemical branding, Freeze branding, Tattooing, Tagging, Ear notching, Wing/leg bands, wing badges for birds, Electronic chips/ transponders.
- Determination of age in cattle – Importance of age determination in cattle – Dental formula in cattle (permanent and deciduous) – Age determination by looking at dentition – Age determination by looking at horn rings
Kerala PSC Live Stock Inspector Syllabus: Restraining of Animals
- Approaching the animal – Animal behaviour – Precautions while approaching the animal Restraining – Purpose of restraining.
- Method of Restraining of head and neck
- Method of Restraining of fore and hind limbs.Whole-body restraining – Precautions for casting – Ruff’s method of casting – Alternate method of casting.
- Instruments used for controlling animals – Instruments used for controlling head and neck, limbs and whole body.
Anatomy and Physiology
- Basics of anatomy and physiology of cattle, goat, pig, dog, poultry- Definitions – Anatomical Peculiarities (bone, RBC, liver, kidney, spleen, stomach)
- Body parts of cattle – Different body parts (regions, body cavities, joints, bones).
- Normal physiological values of animals – Significance of normal physiological values – Normal range of values in cattle, buffalo, goat, pig, dog and chicken (temperature, pulse, respiration, age of puberty, rumen motility, gestation period, life span).
- Measuring the most important normal physiological values of cattle -Measuring Pulse – Recording Respiration – Recording rectal temperature – Rumen motility – Different conditions in which the normal values change.
- Structure and function of the ruminant stomach – Structure of ruminant stomach – Process of ruminant microbial digestion. Oesophagal groove and its significance.The difference in the digestion of the ruminant and non-ruminant stomach
- Structure and function of the reproductive system of cattle – Detailed structure and function of bovine female and male reproductive System – Structure of bovine spermatozoa. Hormonal regulation of reproduction and oestrus cycle – Hormonal interplay of female reproduction – Hormonal interplay of male
reproduction – Sexual maturity and puberty – Estrus cycle and heat signs.
- Structure and function of the mammary gland – Structure of udder – Mechanism of milk production – Hormonal role in lactation – Peak production and drying up – methods of drying – Milking methods – Hand milking-Machine milking.
Rearing and Housing of Livestock
- Establishment of livestock farm – Requirements for dairy and poultry farms
- Systems of rearing for cattle • Free-range system • Intensive system • Semi-intensive system.
- Systems of rearing for poultry • Free-range system • Intensive system (deep litter and cage system) •.Backyard rearing of poultry. Semi-intensive system.
- The housing of cattle and poultry – Requirements and dimensions of a standard cattle shed and poultry house.
- Manure and waste disposal – Collection, storage and disposal of manure – Vermicomposting – Biogas plant
Husbandry of Goats
- Advantages of goat rearing.Systems of rearing goats.
- Care and management of different age groups of goats – Housing requirements of goats – Feeding of goats – Care and management of kids – Care and management of does and bucks – Care and management of pregnant does – Care and management of lactating does.
- Breeding and selection of dairy goats – Selection methods – Breeding methods.
- Diseases of goats – Bacterial, viral, metabolic diseases of goats and control measures (Tetanus, CCPP, Enterotoxaemia, PPR, Lactic acidosis)
- Anatomy and physiology of poultry
- Digestive system- mouth, oesophagus, stomach, liver and pancreas, small intestine, caeca, cloaca
- Reproductive system – Male and female
- Respiratory system- syrinx, air sacs – Skin and feathers – types of feathers
- Egg formation – Physiology of egg formation, Effect of light on egg formation
- Moulting and bleaching – Definition – Relation with egg production
- Breeding and Reproduction in Animals
- Basic concepts in breeding – Genotype and phenotype, Selection and breeding methods – Random selection, Individual selection, Family selection, Pedigree selection, Progeny testing, Inbreeding, Out-breeding, Methods of cross-breeding, species hybridization, grading up
- Artificial insemination (A.I) in animals – Purpose, limitations of A. I – Semen collection and examination – Semen extenders and preservation (methods of evaluation, types of preservation and diluents)–Insemination – Familiarization of equipment used for A.I – Heat detection – Technique of A. I in cattle (Recto vaginal method) – Speculum method for small animals.
- Pregnancy and parturition – Basic concepts of the gestation period, fertilization and placentation – Pregnancy diagnosis – Stages of parturition and signs of calving – Difficult calving (dystocia) – Involution of the uterus, service period, inter-calving period, dry period.
- Embryo transfer technology – Uses of embryo transfer technology – Method of embryo transfer Technology
- Infertility in cattle – Concepts of infertility and sterility – Causes of infertility – Prevention of infertility
- Care and Management of Cattle
- Care and management of newborn calves – Importance of colostrum feeding – Artificial respiration – Cutting of umbilical cord – Weaning – Feeding of calves – Dehorning – Deworming – Castration
- Effect of climate on animals – Homeostasis – Critical temperature – Summer management
- Herd replacement – Culling and replacement – Methods of culling and replacement
Principles of Feeding in cattle
- Important nutrients required for animals – Water, Protein, Carbohydrates, Lipids, Vitamins, Minerals – their function. Important concepts of feed formulation – Proximate principles like Digestible crude protein (D.C.P), metabolizable energy (M.E), total digestible nutrients (T.D.N) etc.
- B.I.S specifications of feed – Feed mixing
- Different feed ingredients and preservation of fodder – Concentrate feed ingredients – Roughages – Unconventional feedstuff – Leguminous fodder (cowpea, sublabel) – Cultivation details of different fodder grasses (Guinea, Napier, para, congo signal) – Preserved fodder (Silage, Hay, Straw) – Nutrient enrichment of straw – commercial feed for cattle (TMR feed, bypass protein feed) Thumb rules for feeding animals –
Maintenance ration for each category of animals – Production ration for the lactating animal – Pregnancy ration – Ration for draught animals
Kerala PSC Live Stock Inspector Syllabus: Health Care
- Definition of health and disease – Signs of health.
- Natural defence mechanisms – Functions of different body parts in preventing disease. Routes of infection and classification of diseases – Different ways in which micro-organisms enter the animal body – Types of diseases
- Common diseases of animals – Etiology, Important symptoms and control measures of Bacterial diseases, Viral diseases, Metabolic diseases, Parasitic diseases – Phyto and chemical toxicity in cattle. Control of diseases – Treatment – Disinfection -Vaccination – Quarantine – Disposal of dead animals
- Advantages and disadvantages of pig farming.
- Housing requirements of swine – general guidelines of housing – space requirements for housing piglets, boar, sow, breeding animals
- Age-wise management of pigs (feeding, breeding and management of boar, gilts, sow, pregnant sows, farrowing sows and piglets, growing and finishing pigs) -Selection criteria for breeding boar.
Introduction to Poultry Husbandry
- Poultry related terms- Poultry, broiler, chick, grower, layer
- External morphology of chicken
- Scientific names of different species of poultry – Chicken, duck, turkey, quail
- Trends in poultry Industry- Current scenario of the poultry industry in Kerala and India – Merits and demerits of poultry rearing
- Feeds and feeding of poultry
- BIS standards for poultry feed – BIS standards of crude protein and metabolisable energy for broiler and layer chicken feed
- Poultry feed ingredients – Common ingredients used for the formulation of poultry feed
- Feeding systems – Adlibitum feeding – Restricted feeding – Mash feeding – Pelleted feeding – Phase feeding
- Feed efficiency and feed additives – Definitions – Feed efficiency in layers and broilers
- Feed additives: Nutritive and non-nutritive, Feeders and waterers – Different types of feeders and waterers, Feed requirement for chicken – Average requirement of total feed for chicks, growers, layers and broilers
Kerala PSC Live Stock Inspector Syllabus: Management of chicken
- Management of chicks – Brooding – types of brooding, brooder set up, Brooder management, debeaking, dubbing and sexing of chicks, Management of growers- Space requirement and general management
- Nutrient requirements
- Management of layers – Summer management-Factors influencing egg production – Culling of layer birds (differentiating good and poor layers), Standards of egg production, Managemental practices for producing good quality eggs.
- Management of breeders – Mating methods, Artificial insemination in chicken – Trap nesting Management of broilers – General guidelines for broiler management.
Selection of eggs and Hatchery management
- Structure of egg – Yolk, Albumen, shell membranes, shell
- Abnormal eggs – Double yolked egg, an egg within an egg, pale egg, soft-shelled egg, blood spots, meat spots
- Candling and grading of eggs – method of candling and Grade as per quality
- Selection of hatching eggs- Size, shape, shell quality and internal quality
- Incubation -Natural incubation, Artificial incubation, Management of incubator, Types of the incubator, Parts of the incubator, Physical requisites for incubation, Incubation period of various species of poultry
- Hatchery operations – Collection of eggs, selection, fumigation, candling, setting, transfer, taking out of the hatch, identification, sexing, vaccination, dubbing, debeaking, packing and despatch of chicks
Kerala PSC Live Stock Inspector Syllabus: Diseases of poultry
- Bacterial diseases of chicken – Pasteurellosis – Pullorum disease
- Viral diseases of chicken – New castle disease (NCD) – Fowlpox – Marek’s disease (MD) – Infectious bursal disease (IBD) – Avian influenza
- Fungal diseases of chicken – Aspergillosis
- Protozoan diseases of chicken – Coccidiosis
- Parasitic diseases – Endoparasites – Roundworm infection (Ascaridia galli), Caecal worm infection – Ectoparasites – lice, mites and ticks infestation
- Nutritional deficiency diseases – Rickets – Vitamin A deficiency – Crazy Chick disease
– Curled toe paralysis
- Prevention of diseases – Treatment – Vaccination – Litter management – Disinfection- Deworming – Fumigation – Biosecurity measures – Screening tests- Hatchery management for disease prevention
Rearing of duck, turkey and quail
- Husbandry of ducks – Advantages of duck rearing – Housing, feeding and management of ducks –Incubation- Sex differentiation
- Diseases of ducks and health care – Pasteurellosis -Duck plague – Duck hepatitis -Aflatoxicosis
- Husbandry of Turkey – Housing, feeding and management of Turkey – Sex differentiation. Diseases of turkey and health care – Pasteurellosis – Blackhead disease
- Husbandry of quail – Advantages of quail rearing – Housing, feeding and management of quail – Sex differentiation. Diseases of quail and health care – Quail enteritis
Milk and milk products
- Nutritive value of milk – Water, fat, protein, lactose, ash.
- BIS standards of milk and milk products – Cow milk, buffalo milk, goat milk, toned milk, double toned milk, ice cream, whole milk powder, table butter, ghee.
- Preservation of milk – Pasteurization, sterilization, chilling.
- Types of milk commercially available – Toned milk, double toned milk, Homogenized milk, Condensed milk
- Preparation of various types of milk products – Acid Coagulated products-Paneer – Concentrated products – Khoa, Gulab jamun – Fermented products -Dahi, Cheese -Fat rich products – Ghee, Cream – Frozen products – Icecream- By-products from milk – Buttermilk, whey, skim milk.
Wholesome milk production
- Measures for clean milk production – Sources of contamination and hygienic measures
- Adulterants of milk – Starch, Cane sugar, Water –Tests used for detection of adulteration.
Click here to download the Kerala PSC Live Stock Inspector Syllabus Free PDF
Entri wishes you all the best for all your upcoming examinations. Start your Preparation today itself. Entri will help you with thousands of questions. Attempt mock tests, analyze yourselves to improve your success rate.