Every year the Probationary Officer (PO) recruitment in the State Bank of India attracts thousands, but only a few among them gets the job. Descriptive paper is part of the main examination in almost all PO recruitment test. SBI PO descriptive paper includes two questions for 30 minutes, and of qualifying in nature. These questions are of repetitive in nature, so candidates can prepare well for them. The formats remain the same, only the topics changes. There is no need to sweat too much on this session since you are already working for the objective test. For cracking the SBI PO descriptive test, one should read the daily newspaper and should be well aware of the answer formats.
Click Here To Attempt a Free SBI PO Sectional Mock Test
SBI PO Selection Pattern
SBI PO Stage 01 Preliminary Test
|SL.No.||Topic/ Subject||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks||Exam Duration|
|1||English Language||30||30||20 Minutes|
|2||Numerical Ability||35||35||20 Minutes|
|3||Reasoning Ability||35||35||20 Minutes|
- There will be no sectional cut-off.
- There will be .25 marks negative marks for each wrong answer.
Stage 02 Main Examination
- The Main Examination itself has two parts; the Computer Based Test (CBT) (200 marks ), and Descriptive Test (50 marks).
- The SBI PO Descriptive Test will be for 30 minutes, 50 marks. Questions will be to test the candidate’s knowledge in the English language. The questions will be either Letter writing or Essay.
Get Higher Rank in SBI PO Exam! Download App!
Main Examination CBT
|Sl.No.||Topic/ Subject||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks||Exam Duration|
|1||Reasoning and Computer Aptitude||45||60||60 minutes|
|2||English Language||35||40||40 minutes|
|3||Data Analysis and Data Interpretation||35||60||45 minutes|
|4||General Knowledge + Economy + Banking Awareness||40||40||35 minutes|
Stage 03: Group Exercise and Interview
- The Group Exercise will be for 20 marks and the Interview is for 30 marks.
- The marks scored in the Stage 02 Main Examination (both in the CBT and the Descriptive Test), will be added with the marks scored in the Group Exercise, and Interview for preparing the final merit list.
- The candidates score in the Main Examination (out of 250 marks) are converted to out of 75 marks and that of the Group Exercises, and Interview scores (out of 50 marks) are converted to out of 25 marks. So the final merit list marks will be out of 100 marks.
SBI PO Descriptive Test
A job in the State Bank of India is a dream among the banking job aspirants. SBI Probationary Officer recruitment test is one of the toughest bank tests in the country. Every year thousands try their luck in this, but only a few make the cut. SBI PO has two stages of written examination followed by the group discussion and personal interview. In the second stage of the SBI PO selection, i.e, the main examination again has two divisions, one the usual Computer-Based Objective Test, and a Descriptive Test to analyze the candidate language proficiency. The descriptive paper is usually repetitive in nature, and easy to crack. The descriptive test will only be evaluated for those who have cleared the objective test. This descriptive paper is of qualifying nature only, so don’t sweat much on this session.
The SBI PO Descriptive test includes two sections:
- Essay Writing, and
- Letter Writing
Since you are already preparing for the Main examination CBT, your Current affairs, and grammar would be good, if not, work on them. No need to have an IELTS level vocabulary, but you should be able to have a moderate level grasping in the language. Fancy words are always a plus but If you are not sure about the meaning, don’t try to be smart.
Attempt Model Exam for SBI PO 2020!
Tips for Scoring Descriptive Paper
- Try to read at least one English news daily. You can find the e-papers on the Internet. They will help you with both vocabulary, and essay.
- While writing the essays include relevant and factual statements.
- Watch your spellings and grammar. Read your answer before submitting them, you may lose marks for spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
- Stick on the format. For both letters (formal, and informal), and essays have an acceptable structure and your answer should follow that for scoring.
- Do not exceed the given word limit. If you are asked to write in 300 words, limit your answer in 250- 270 words. Exceeding the word limit may not help you.
- Do not use your wild guesses on your essays.
- Try to write a neutral answer in essays. You should dedicate a paragraph for both sides of the story.
- Avoid excessive criticism and favouritism on your answers.
- Find previous year questions, and practice typing the answers on Computer.
- Include the keywords in your answers.
Click Here To Attempt a Free SBI PO Sectional Mock Test
Previous Year Questions
Essay Topics ( 250 words)
- Does providing educational loans help in empowering employment to youth?
- Uses of Aadhar card
- Impact of the unearthing of black money on the Indian economy
- Importance of education in vernacular languages
- Lucky Draw/ Lottery Winning- Pros, and Cons
- Do brokers deserve the cut that they make on deals?
- Security of women in the workspace, an increasing cause of concern, Comment
- Entrance exams – a necessary evil
- The necessity of the Universal Health Care System In India
- How to minimize the havoc of monsoon in Indian states
- Payment Banks in India
- Travelling is better than watching movies, and documentary.
- Role of NABARD in Indian Agro-economy
- GST, and its effect on the Indian economy
- Letter to your mother for asking her retirement plans
- Write a letter to your siblings about their financial planning
- Letter to your Manager, for requesting leave
- Letter to the Municipal Councilor regarding the women security in your area
- Write a letter to the SBI manager to transfer your Savings Account to another branch
- Letter to the bank manager for requesting an Education Loan
- Letter to the newspaper editor regarding the recent mob lynching incident in your area
Attempt Advanced Level Mock for SBI PO 2020!
Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming examinations. Start your Preparation today itself. Entri will help you with thousands of questions. Attempt mock tests, analyze yourselves to improve your success rate.
Discussion about this post