SSC CGL or RRB SSE is best suited to a candidate’s career.This is one question that most of the students seek answers after graduation, they might seek guidance from friends or family or any aspirant who can generally guide them.Nowadays, a huge number of students aspire to appear in various Government Exams or opt for Bank Exams and Railways Exams because of job security in both sectors. The concrete answer here is everything depends on a candidate’s area of interest. In this blog we will discuss about SSC CGL VS RRB SSE: Which one to choose?.
SSC CGL Vs RRB SSE: Exam Description
SSC CGL Exam
Every year, the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) recruits staff to various posts in departments, ministries and organisations under the Government of India.
SSC CGL (Staff Selection Commission, Combined Graduate Level) is the biggest Government Job recruitment exam conducted in India. The SSC conducts CGL exam for various government posts such as Central Secretariat Service, CAG, Exercise Inspector, Statistical Investigator, Central Vigilance Commission, AO, Intelligence Bureau, Ministry of Railways/ Defence/ External Affairs, CBI and a few others Ministries.
SSC CGL is purely a government job. On the other hand, SBI and different banks recruit numerous aspirants each year through various SBI exams or IBPS exams for a variety of posts. The number of job vacancies in banks is much higher as compared to vacancies in SSC CGL.
RRB SSE Exam
Railway Department is going to recruit candidates for Senior Section Officer posts based on their performance in the written exam and personal Interview. This is the news for which the Aspirants had been waiting for so long. The aspirant who is interested and eligible can now apply online.
Click here to attempt a free SSC CGL 2020 Sectional mock tests to ace your Preparation
SSC CGL Vs RRB SSE: Job Profile
As an SSC CGL officer, a candidate starts work from scratch. Hence, the work expectations are as follows:
- Clerical work like answering RTI queries.
- General administration work as a start.
- Make notes and filing work.
- Get to do field jobs that involve travelling.
- Get to put in work in the development of nationwide policies by looking after bank office work.
- Carry out inspections, raids, surveillance etc.
- Senior Section Engineer (SSE) is a supervisor in Civil Engineering (Permanent Way) in the department of Indian Railways.
- SSE will be in charge of a section of track (about 100-250 km length) stretching over a couple of stations and normally headquartered in major stations.
- SSE will be responsible for maintenance, repairs and attending to failures like rail fracture.
- SSE will have a few Junior Engineers (JE) working under him and large team of workers consisting of trackman, gangman, khalasis, and patrolman.
- The safe running of trains depends on the level of maintenance of the track and hence the role of a permanent way supervisor is crucial and he is answerable for the delay/omissions in this regard.
- SSE should conduct regular inspections, trolley inspections, foot plate inspection (by travelling in engine of running train) over his section.
- Permanent way in railway parlance is the structure consisting of the rails, fasteners, sleepers and ballast, plus the underlying subgrade.
SSC CGL Vs RRB SSE: Exam Pattern
SSC CGL 2020 Tier-1 will be conducted tentatively from 2nd to 11th March 2020. The exam will be conducted online comprising of 4 sections with about a 100 questions in total and with maximum marks of 200. The entire exam is needed to be completed in a time span of 60 minutes.
The sections asked in SSC CGL Tier-I Exam are:
- General Intelligence & Reasoning
- General Awareness
- Quantitative Aptitude
- English Comprehension
|Serial No.||Sections||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Time Allotted|
|1||General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||50||A cumulative time of 60 minutes|
Penalty of Wrong Answer: There is a negative marking of 0.50 Marks for each wrong answer. There is no sectional cut off. No point will be deducted if the question is left blank or unattended by a candidate.
Tier-2 Exam Pattern
SSC CGL Tier-2 will be conducted tentatively from 22nd June to 25th June 2020. The exam will be conducted online comprising of 4 sections with about a 100 questions in each section and with maximum marks of 200.
The sections asked in SSC CGL Tier-I Exam are:
- Quantitative Ability
- General Studies (Finance & Economics)
- English Language & Comprehension
|Serial No.||Sections||No. of Questions||Total Marks||Time Allotted|
|1||Quantitative Ability||100||200||2 hours|
|2||English Language and Comprehension||200||200||2 hours|
|4||General Studies (Finance and Economics)||100||200||2 hours|
Penalty of Wrong Answer: There is a negative marking of 0.25 Marks for each wrong answer. There is no sectional cut off. No point will be deducted if the question is left blank or unattended by a candidate.
Tier-3 Exam Pattern
Tier-3 of SSC CGL will be a descriptive test. The paper will be in English/Hindi and will constitute of 100 marks. The entire paper needs to be completed in 60 minutes.
|Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi (Writing of Essay, Precis, Letter, Application etc.)||100 marks||1 hour or 60 minutes|
Tier-4 Exam Pattern
SSC CGL Tier-4 Exam is a Computer Skill Test. It will be conducted in two steps: DEST Test & CPT Test.
DEST: Candidates are required to type 2000 words in 15 minutes on a computer in English. This test is conducted to check a candidate’s writing skills.
CPT: This test is conducted to check a candidate’s proficiency in Word Processing, Spreadsheets and Generation of Slides.
|1.||General Intelligence and Reasoning||60||60||2 Hours|
- The Prelims Examination will consist of only Objective Type Questions.
- A total of 150 questions will be asked for one mark each.
- 2 Hours time period will be provided to complete the examination.
- 1/3 marks will be deducted for the wrong answers.
Get Free Mock Test for SSC and Railway Exam! Download App Now!
SSC CGL VS RRB SSE: Syllabus
The major sections asked in SSC CGL 2020 Preliminary Exam are General Awareness, Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude and English Language. The detailed syllabus & exam pattern for SSC CGL 2020 exam are mentioned below:
Tier 1 Syllabus
Quantitative Aptitude Syllabus
Quantitative Aptitude questions will be designed to test the ability of appropriate use of numbers and number sense of the candidate. The scope of the test will be computation of whole numbers, decimals, fractions and relationships between numbers, Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership Business, Mixture and Alligation, Time and distance, Time & Work,Percentage. Ratio & Proportion, Square roots, Averages, Interest, Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra & Elementary surds, Graphs of Linear Equations, Triangle and its various kinds of centres, Congruence and similarity of triangles, Circle and its chords, tangents, angles subtended by chords of a circle, common tangents to two or more circles, Triangle, Quadrilaterals, Regular Polygons, Circle, Right Prism, Right Circular Cone, Right Circular Cylinder, Sphere, Heights and Distances, Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar diagram & Pie chart, Hemispheres, Rectangular Parallelepiped, Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square base, Trigonometric ratio, Degree and Radian Measures, Standard Identities, Complementary angles.
General Intelligence and Reasoning Syllabus
General Intelligence and Reasoning includes questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. This component may include questions on analogies, similarities and differences, space visualization, spatial orientation, problem solving, analysis, judgment, decision making, visual memory, discrimination, observation, relationship concepts, arithmetical reasoning and figural classification, arithmetic number series, non-verbal series, coding and decoding, statement conclusion, syllogistic reasoning etc.
The topics are, Semantic Analogy, Symbolic/ Number Analogy, Figural Analogy, Semantic Classification, Symbolic/ Number Classification, Figural Classification, Semantic Series, Number Series, Figural Series, Problem Solving, Word Building, Coding & de-coding, Numerical Operations, symbolic Operations, Trends, Space Orientation, Space Visualization, Venn Diagrams, Drawing inferences, Punched hole/ pattern- folding & un-folding, Figural Pattern- folding and completion, Indexing, Address matching, Date & city matching, Classification of centre codes/roll numbers, Small & Capital letters/ numbers coding, decoding and classification, Embedded Figures, Critical thinking, Emotional Intelligence, Social Intelligence, Other sub-topics, if any.
This section measures Candidates’ ability to understand correct English, his/ her basic comprehension and writing ability, etc. would be tested. This section may include questions on Phrases and Idioms, One word Substitution, Sentence Correction, Error Spotting, Fill in the Blanks, Spellings Correction, Reading Comprehension, Synonyms-Antonyms, Active Passive, Sentence Rearrangement, Sentence Improvement, Cloze test etc.
General Awareness Syllabus
Questions in this section will be aimed at testing the candidates’ general awareness (GK+GS) of the environment around him and its application to society. The test will also include questions relating to India and its neighbouring countries especially pertaining History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General Policy & Scientific Research. The questions will also be asked from Science, Current Affairs, Books and Authors, Sports, Important Schemes, Important Days, Portfolios,People in News etc.
After the preliminary exam has been conducted, it will be necessary to gear up for Mains Exam of SSC CGL 2020 Exam.
General Intelligence & Reasoning:
- Number Series, syllogism, Input-Output, Coding-decoding
- Word Building, Seating arrangement, Clock, Calendar.
- Similarities and differences, space visualization/orientation, analogy, etc.
- Decision making, figural classification, visual memory, Direction sense test, Blood relations, arithmetical reasoning, etc.
- Arithmetic number series, Statement conclusion, non-verbal series, coding, and decoding, etc.
- Questions will be asked from Railway
- Rail Budget, New Technologies & Reform in the Railway of India.
- Indian History, Sports Polity, Geography, Current Affairs, Economy,
- Algebra, Interests, Ratio & Proportion, Percentage
- Time and distance/work, profit & loss
- Age problems, Pipes & Cisterns, Data Interpretation, Mensuration, etc.
- Basics of Circuit Power Electronics, Electrical Machines, etc.
- Electrical and Electronic Measurements
- Analog and Digital Electronics, Circuits and Measurement Systems
- Signals and Systems, Power and Control Systems, Electrical Machines, etc.
- Energy bands, Signal & Systems, Electronic Devices, Wireless Communication, etc.
- Carrier transport in silicon, drift current, diffusion current, mobility, and resistivity.
- Generation and recombination of carriers.
- Junctions, Analog Circuit, Digital Circuits, diodes, tunnel, Communication, etc.
- Control System, EMFT, Basics of Signal & Systems, etc.
- Computer Fundamentals, MS Office, languages, Information systems
- DBMS, Operating systems, Software Engineering
- Computer Networks, Database, Algorithms, Network communication
- System programming, Web technology & programming.
- MS Office; Computer fundamentals & organization
- C , C++ & Java language
- Information systems; DBMS
- System programming; Operating systems; UNIX; SAD
- Data communication, Network communication Web technology, programming, etc.
- Software Engineering; Environment & Pollution Control.
Instrumentation & Measurement Engineering:
- Questions from Basics of Measurement Systems
- Transducers, Circuits, Mechanical Measurement
- Industrial Instrumentation, Analog / Digital Electronics
- Process Instrumentation will be asked.
- General Civil Engineering.
- Topics include Construction, Structure Engineering and drawing, Costing, Estimating and Valuation & Building Materials
- Mechanics, Soil Mechanics, Structural Analysis, Concrete Structures
- Steel Structures, Hydraulics, Hydrology, Construction, Water requirements
- Highway Planning, Traffic Engineering, Surveying, Coordinate system
- Projections, Errors and adjustments, curves, Environmental Engineering
- Measurements of distance and directions.
- Strength of Materials, Theory of Machines, etc.
- Kinematics of Machine, Engineering Mechanics
- Fluid Mechanics, Heat Transfer, Thermodynamics
- Power Engineering, Steam Tables, Thermodynamics cycles
- C. Engines cycles, Casting, Machining, and Machine Tool Operations
- Metrology and Inspection
Chemical Metallurgical Assistant:
- Basic concepts of Fuel
- Material Science; Polymers
- Applied Chemistry
- Instrumentation & Measurement
- Environment & Pollution Control.
Now since you as a candidate have gone through these details depending upon your preferences you need to choose between the two.
Why Practice from Entri?
- Always provides you up to date materials that are created by Entri’s Top Experts.
- Mock tests available in bilingual and other regional languages
- Download Entri to access the unlimited mock test.
Navigating through Entri
- Open your Entri App go to the SSC Tab and check the mock tests.
- You can check courses and Mock test for other examinations as well
- Subscribe to our Mock Test and clear your examination with flying colors.
Ace your preparation. That is where Entri comes in. It helps you to prepare effectively for your Exam.
That will be all from our end at Entri, hope you have benefited from our mock tests and study materials. Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming examinations. Start your Preparation today itself.
Get Higher Rank in SSC Exam! Download Entri App!
Discussion about this post