Current affairs are one of the inevitable and compulsive topics in almost every competitive examination. It is inevitable for an aspirant to get updated on daily current affairs happening around the world. Daily newspaper reading and follow-ups are necessary for mastering these current affairs sections. This article has provided the top weekly current affairs from June 21 to 27, 2021, which will help all aspirants improve scores in their competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, and Banking.
Attempt Daily Current Affairs Quiz for free! Download App!
Top Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams 2021 June 21 to 27
Here is the list of top current affairs of the week June 21 to 27, 2021, which will be helpful for all competitive examinations like PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking, etc.
Karnam Malleswari appointed 1st vice-chancellor of Delhi Sports University
- The Delhi government appointed former Olympic medalist weightlifter Karnam Malleswari as the first Vice-Chancellor of Delhi Sports University.
- She is the first Indian woman weightlifter to bring home an Olympic medal.
- She created history at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 by lifting 110 kilograms and 130 kilograms in the ‘snatch’ and ‘clean and jerk’ categories.
- She has also been awarded the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award, and Padma Shri.
Cochin International Airport won honour in airport service quality
- Cochin International Airport (CIAL) won Airport Council International (ACI) Director General’s Roll of Excellence honour in Airport Service Quality.
- This recognition is awarded to those airports which, in the opinion of passengers, consistently delivered excellent services.
- Cochin International Airport has consistently delivered excellence in customer service by winning multiple awards for five years in the past 10 years.
- It is one among six airports across the world that will receive recognition in 2021.
- Airport Council International Headquarters location: Montreal, Canada.
- Airport Council International Founded: 1991.
Microsoft Officially Launches ‘Windows 11’
- Microsoft officially launched its new Windows operating system ‘Windows 11’.
- It is being called the “next generation” of Windows.
- The release comes nearly six-year after the current latest Windows Operating System ‘Windows 10’ was launched in July 2015.
- Windows 11 is special because it focuses on a new user interface, a new Windows Store, and improvements to performance, including a center-aligned Taskbar and Start button.
Tadang Minu becomes first Indian woman to be appointed as a member of the AIBA coaches committee
- Arunachal Pradesh-based Dr. Tadang Minu has been appointed as a member of the Coaches Committee of the International Boxing Association(AIBA).
- Dr. Minu is the first Indian woman and the only second Indian to be appointed as a member of AIBA.
- She has been appointed due to her enormous knowledge and experience in the field of boxing.
- Dr. Minu is the chairman of the Women’s Commission of the Boxing Federation of India.
Amitav Ghosh’s new book ‘The Nutmeg’s Curse: Parables for a Planet in Crisis’
- A new book titled ‘The Nutmeg’s Curse: Parables for a Planet in Crisis, by Jnanpith awardee and bestselling author Amitav Ghosh, is all set to release in October 2021.
- The book explains the exploitation of human life and the natural environment, with the help of the surprising story of the nutmeg, and which dominates geopolitics even today.
- The book has been published by John Murray.
World Hydrography Day: 21st June
- Every year World Hydrography Day is observed on 21 June to make the public aware of hydrography and the essential role that it plays in everyone’s life.
- The theme for 2021 WHD is “One hundred years of international cooperation in hydrography ”.
- The United Nations General Assembly accepted a resolution to celebrate World Hydrography Day on every June 21 in 2005.
- The day has been organized by the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) since 2006 to publicize the work of hydrographers and the importance of hydrography.
Bengaluru adjudged as India’s most liveable city in ease of living index 2020
- Bengaluru has been named as the most liveable city of India, in the Ease of Living Index 2020, released by the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) on June 16, 2021.
- The Ease of Living Index 2020 is part of the report titled State of India’s Environment 2021.
- Bengaluru is followed by Chennai, Shimla, Bhubaneshwar, and Mumbai, as the top five best cities respectively.
- Parameters: The report focused on four parameters to determine the ease of living index score of each city, which are: quality of life, economic ability, sustainability, and citizens’ perceptions.
- Each city was rated out of 100 in all parameters.
- The Ease of Living Index 2020 is the second edition of the index after the first one was launched in 2018.
World Refugee Day: 20th June
- The United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) observes World Refugee Day on June 20 each year to raise awareness of the situation of refugees throughout the world.
- 2021 Theme: Together we heal, learn and shine.
- The United Nations General Assembly recognized the day on 4 December 2020.
- United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) headquarters – Geneva, Switzerland
World’s Third-Largest Diamond Unearthed in Botswana
- A 1,098-carat diamond has been discovered in Botswana, by Debswana Diamond Company, a joint venture between the government of Botswana and the South African diamond company De Beers.
- The newly discovered diamond is believed to be the third-largest gem-quality stone ever to be mined in the world.
- The stone has been presented by Debswana Diamond Company to the President of Botswana, Mokgweetsi Masisi.
- The largest diamond to be recovered to date is 3,106 carat Cullinan stone in South Africa in 1905, followed by the 1,109 carats Lesedi La Rona unearthed by Lucara Diamonds in Botswana in 2015.
India Ranks 43rd on IMD’s World Competitiveness Index 2021
- India has retained its rank at 43rd position among 63 nations, in the annual World Competitiveness Index for the year 2021 compiled by Institute for Management Development (IMD).
- India was at 43rd spot in 2019 and 2020 as well.
- The World Competitiveness Index 2021 list has been topped by Switzerland.
- Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, and Singapore are the top five countries respectively.
- Among the BRICS nations, India is ranked second after China (16), followed by Russia (45th), Brazil (57th), and South Africa (62th).
Download Entri App and Start using Discussion Forum
Hope you have benefited from this article. To practice the daily current affairs quiz, try Entri Daily Rank Booster which will provide a free GK current affairs quiz on a daily basis. Also, visit our YouTube channel Entri TV. Ace your preparation for competitive Examination with Entri.
Discussion about this post