Practice and download free PDF for the Distance and Direction related questions in this article. Distance and Direction questions are asked for all banking examinations like IBPS, SBI, RRB, RBI. Every exam will have at least one question from this topic. Usually, this type of question is to check candidates’ direction sense and ability to visualize. We can be expected an easy to moderate level of questions with tricky ones too.
Practice full-length mock tests for IBPS PO 2020.
Distance and Direction
This typically involves the ability of the candidate to find the distance and direction according to the question. The question will be according to the movement of a person in different directions. The best way to solve these is to draw the diagram. Let us discuss the way to draw diagrams.
The following types of questions can be expected from this topic-
- Final direction based
- Distance and direction based
Mainly as we know there are four directions– North, South, East, and West. And the cardinal directions- North-East (NE), North-West (NW), South-East (SE), and South-West (SW).
The 90º movement can be plotted from each main direction to next,i.e., from North to West or to East. And from that of adjacent cardinal direction involve a 45º angle.
Now check the movements. If in the question the person is facing towards:
- North on taking the right turn towards the east and on taking left will face towards the west.
- West on taking left will face towards the south and on taking right turn towards the north.
- East on taking the right turn towards the south and on taking left will face towards the north.
- South, on taking left will face towards the east and on taking the right turn towards the west.
Number Series Questions-Download free PDF and practice.
Shadows and Formation
If a person facing
- Sun, the shadow will be towards his/her back or in the west.
- South, the shadow will be towards his/her right.
- West, the shadow will be towards his/her front.
- North, the shadow will be towards his/her left.
Sunset / Evening
If a person facing:
- Sun, the shadow will be towards his/her back or in the East.
- North, the shadow will be towards his/her right.
- East, the shadow will be towards his/her front.
- South, the shadow will be towards his/her left.
Now, if you are given the distance of horizontal direction, X meters from a point, and a vertical distance from the same point Y meters, then the distance between the new points will be, √X² + Y².
Practice Reasoning section-wise quizzes on Syllogism.
Worked Out Examples
1. Raghu walked 4 km west of his house and then turned south covering 3 km. Finally, He moved 5 km towards east. In which direction he is now with respect to the starting point?
Solution: Let draw the diagram for the following
According to the figure, Ragu will be South-East to his starting point.
2. One evening Naina was standing facing a tree. And the shadow of the tree fell to her right. In which direction was she facing?
Solution: Right. ( Check the above data given based on the Shadows and Sun).
3. Remya starting from her house goes 4 km in the East, then she turns to her right and goes 3 km. What is the shortest distance to reach her house?
Solution: 5 Km. To find the minimum distance, let us check the diagram of displacement.
Thus we got a right-angled triangle, of which hypotenuse is to be found. Using the Pythagoras Theorem,
AB² = 3² + 4² = 9 + 16
4. Ravi is 10m to the west of Ravi. Ravi is 15m to the east of Geeta. Geeta is exactly between Rahul and Sristi such that Rahul, Geeta, and Sristi form a vertical straight line of 40m. Sristi is to the south of Geeta. Then Geeta is at what distance and in which direction with respect to Ravi?
Solution: 5m West
Check other useful links for Bank Exams 2020:
- Free Reasoning mini-mock series.
- Static Gk- Rivers and its Tributaries.
- Descriptive paper-writing tips.
- Reading Comprehension-Easy methods to answer.
Distance and Direction Questions
Download the free PDF for Distance and Directions topic:
Practice more high-level questions and expected patterns of Distance and Direction questions on Entri. Regular practice of previous questions and new expected patterns will help the candidate to solve the questions quickly with accuracy.
Discussion about this post