Kerala PSC Assistant Electrical Inspector examination is to be conducted soon. Candidates will be amidst the exam preparation. So, in this article, we are providing the preparation tips along with the Kerala PSC Assistant Electrical Inspector books for preparation. Books are always a good partner for competitive exam preparations. Also, check the study materials for AEI exam preparations.
Join Entri for Kerala PSC exam courses and get to your dream job. Download Entri for all the information regarding the Assistant Electrical Inspector course.
AEI Notification Details
|Name of Post||Assistant Electrical Inspector|
|Department||Kerala Electrical Inspectorate|
|Notification Release date||30 October 2020|
|Application closing date||02 December 2020|
|Mode of Applying||Online|
|Scale of Pay||₹ 39500-83000/-|
|Number of vacancies||Anticipated|
|Method of appointment||Direct Recruitment.|
Kerala PSC Assistant Electrical Inspector Books
Exam Pattern and Syllabus for Assistant Electrical Inspector
- Number of Questions: 100
- Maximum Marks: 100
- Exam Duration: 01 hours 15 minutes
Assistant Electrical Inspector Syllabus
Basic Electrical Engineering
- Ohm’s law, Kirchoff’s laws – solution of series and parallel circuits with dc excitation.
- Magnetic circuits: MMF, field strength, flux density, reluctance, electromagnetic induction, Faraday’s laws, Lenz’s law, statically and dynamically induced EMFs, self and mutual induction, co-efficient of coupling.
- Principle of the generation of alternating current – waveforms – frequency, period, average and RMS values, form factor.
- Generation of 3 phase ac voltage, star and delta connections, voltage & current relationships in star and delta (balanced system only).
- Principle of operation of dc motor & generator, single-phase transformer, and three-phase induction motor.
- Types of lamps, the necessity of earthing.
- Basic Electronics Engineering
- Devices – working principle of PN junction, Zener diode, and BJT. Systems – Rectifiers: Half wave, Full-wave, and Bridge.
- Filters: Capacitors and Inductors.
- Amplifiers & Oscillators – Common Emitter RC coupled amplifier and its frequency response.
- Principles of Wein-bridge oscillator. Op-amps: Basics, inverting, and noninverting amplifier.
- Communication – Need for modulation, principles of AM and FM.
- Measurements – Working principles of CRO and Multimeter.
Electronic Circuits and Field Theory
- Node and Mesh analysis, transient response of dc and ac networks, sinusoidal steady-state analysis, resonance, two-port network, independent and dependent voltage and current sources, coupled circuits, tuned coupled circuits, Network theorems – superposition, reciprocity, substitution, compensation, Thevenin, Norton, Millman, Telligen, and Maximum power transfer theorems.
- Analysis of Three-phase circuits, symmetrical components, graph theory – analysis of network using cut-set and tri-set.
- Filters constant – K low pass, high pass, and band-pass filters – m derived, low pass, high pass, and bandpass filters.
- Gauss’s law and applications, electric field, electric potential, electric field lines, electric dipoles, potential gradient, conductors, dielectrics, capacitance, polarisation, method of images, dielectric strength, Biot-Savart’s law, Ampere’s circuital law, Stoke’s theorem, scalar and vector magnetic potential, the force between current-carrying wires, Maxwell’s equation – wave equation – Poynting theorem.
- Single-phase Transformer – leakage reactance, equivalent circuit, losses and efficiency, voltage regulation, OC, SC and Sumpner’s tests, Distribution transformer, all-day efficiency, autotransformer – saving of copper three-phase transformer – connections, vector groupings, parallel operation.
- DC machines – Types of excitation, constructional features.
- Synchronous machines: – constructional features, winding factor.
- DC generator – Emf equation, armature reaction & commutation, characteristics, voltage build-up, applications.
- DC motor – Torque equation, characteristics of shunt, series & compound motors, necessity & types of starters, speed control, applications, Swinburne’s test, Hopkinson’s test.
- Alternator: Types, synchronous reactance, voltage regulation, emf and MMF methods, short circuit ratio, Two reaction theory, the alternator on the infinite bus, power angle characteristics, parallel operation, the effect of variation of power input & excitation.
- Synchronous motor – the principle of operation, methods of starting, hunting & its reduction.
- Three-phase induction motor – constructional features, types, slip rotor frequency, power flow, Torque – slip curve, the effect of rotor resistance, starting methods, speed control.
- Single-phase induction motor – double field revolving theory, starting methods.
- Basic concepts of ac and dc drives.
- Conventional and non-conventional systems of power generation, power plant economics, load factor, demand factor, diversity factor, Transmission line parameters – T and ∏ models GMD and GMR, ABCD constants, overload lines – arrangement of conductors – sag, economic span, choice of transmission voltage, types of insulators, string efficiency, distribution systems – types, comparison of DC and AC single phase and 3 phase systems.
- One-line diagrams per unit quantities, the formation of Y bus and Z Bus. Load flow studies – Gauss-Seidel, Newton Raphson, and Fast decoupled load flow methods.
- Faults on power systems – LG, LL, LLG, and 3 phase faults. Fault analysis using Z Bus.
- Power system stability, steady-state transient and dynamic stability, equal area criterion, swing curve.
- Protective relays: types and operation, protective zones, different protection schemes.
- Circuit Breakers – types and operations, selection of circuit breakers, calculation of fault KVA, protection against lightning, and overvoltages.
- Electric traction – speed – time curves – mechanics
- Electric heating – Advantages, types, and applications.
- Principles of PMMC, moving iron, and electrodynamometer type instruments, error analysis, measurement of voltage, current, power energy and power factor, induction type watt-hour meter, DC bridges and AC bridges, magnetic measurements, Instrument transformers, digital voltmeters and multimeters, digital measurements of frequency, phase angle, time interval.
- The electronic energy meter, high voltage measurements, oscilloscopes, Data acquisition systems, Transducers for temperature, flow, and pressure.
- Open-loop and closed-loop system: Transfer function, force-voltage & force-current analogy, block diagrams, signal flow graphs – Mason’s gain formula – characteristic equation, time-domain analysis – transient & steady-state responses – time domain specifications & steady-state error.
- Concept of stability – Routh’s stability criterion – Root locus – effect of the addition of poles and zeros.
- Frequency domain analysis – Nyquist & Bode plots, gain margins and phase margin, lag, lead, and lag-lead compensators and their design using Bode plot.
- State-space models, state transition matrix, the relationship between state equations and transfer function, controllability, and observability.
- Nonlinear system: – characteristics, types of non-linearities, describing functions analysis – concept, singular points – focus, center, node, and saddle points – limit cycle.
- Types of signals and systems, sampling process, sampling theorem, the convolution of discrete-time signals, analysis of LTI systems using Z transforms. DFT and FFT, Types of digital filters.
- BJT and FET amplifiers – biasing circuits, types of amplifiers, low frequency and high-frequency considerations. Oscillators and feedback amplifiers, operational amplifier circuits and applications – simple active filters. VCO’s and timers.
- Voltage regulators using linear IC’s, combinational and sequential logic circuits – flip flops, counters, shift registers, TTL & CMOS logic families, memories – ROM, PROM, EPROM & RAM.
- Schmitt triggers, multivibrators, sample and hold circuits, A to D and D to A converters, 8 bit and 16-bit microprocessor basics, architecture, programming, and interfacing.
- Thyristors, TRIACs, GTO’s MOSFETS & IGBTS – principles of operation, triggering circuits, phase control rectifiers, bridge converters – fully controlled and half controlled Inverters and choppers.
Preparation Tips for Assistant Electrical Inspector Exam
- Go through the syllabus and collect the best available study materials before starting your preparations.
- Make a schedule as per the topics.
- Attempt the mock tests. Mock tests will ensure the skill of time management.
- Attempt previous question papers and understand the question pattern and mark distribution.
- While solving mock papers, try to focus on speed as well as accuracy.
- Focus on topics like Electrical Machines, Power Systems, and Control Systems.
- Memorize all the important formulas and short tricks for the questions.
- Make your own notes and revise the topics using them before exams or during revisions.
Assistant Electrical Inspector Books for Preparation 2021
- PSC Previous Question and Answers In Electrical / Electronic Engineering Paperback – 1 January 2016 by A Team of Vetran Experts
- Objective Electrical Engineering (Revised Edition) Paperback – 1 January 2017 by A Team of Vetran Experts
- Objective Electrical Engineering (Revised Edition) by A Team of Vetran Experts
- A Course in Power System by J B Gupta
- Switchgear and Protection by J.B. Gupta
- A Textbook on Power System Engineering by A. Chakrabarti, M.L. Soni, et al.
- Basic Electrical Engineering Paperback – by K.N. Srinivas
- Power Electronics | Devices, Circuits, and Applications | Fourth Edition | Pearson by Muhammad H. Rashid
- A Textbook of Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machines R.K. Bansal
- Analog and Digital Electronics for BE VTU Course 18 OBE & CBCS (III- CSE -18CS33) by U. A. Bakshi A. P. Godse
- Practice Sets Electrical Engineering: Useful for Railway & other engineering (Diploma) exams by Sidhartha Sethi
- Basic Electrical Engineering Paperback by V.K Mehta, Rohit Mehta
- Fluid Mechanics (SIE) Frank White
- Analog and Digital Electronics Paperback – 1 January 2012 by Sanjay Sharma
- Surveying (Volume 1 and 2) B.C Purnima
- State Engineering Examination/Objective type Made easy Publication
- Nise’s Control Systems Engineering, Wiley India Edition by Norman S. Nise
- Signals and Systems Paperback by A Nagoorkani
So, all this regarding Kerala PSC Assistant Electrical Inspector books. Entri will provide you a comprehensive course for Assistant Electrical Inspector 2021. Join Entri to avail of the online classes. Aspirants can access the latest mock test series, live classes on all topics covered under the AEI. Download and subscribe to Entri and get current affairs and daily rank booster quizzes.