Kerala Public Service Commission has released the notification for the Overseer/ Draftsman Gr I (127/2020) for 26 existing vacancies as an Extraordinary Gazette on 1st October 2020. The complete Overseer/ Draftsman Mechanical Gr I syllabus will help you to commence the preparations for the exam. Subscribe to Entri and join the Overseer/ Draftsman Mechanical Grade I exam oriented-course to bag a government job this year itself. Download the Overseer/ Draftsman Mechanical Grade 1 Syllabus PDF.
Kerala PSC Overseer/ Draftsman Mechanical Grade 1 Syllabus
The exam pattern of the Overseer Draftsman post will be as follows:
- The exam will be an objective OMR based written examination.
- There will be 100 questions and the exam duration will be for one hour and 15 minutes.
- There will be negative marking. 0.33 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- Then, there will be a document verification and personal interview session, for the successful candidates shortlisted.
- The candidates selected for the post shall from the date of appointment be on probation for a period of two years within a continuous period of three years.
Overseer/ Draftsman Mechanical Grade 1 Syllabus
Check the complete syllabus for the Overseer/ Draftsman Mechanical Gr 1:
Part-I Questions based on Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Principles of management: Meaning of management – Taylor’s scientific. management, Functions of management – Different types of ownership – Organizational structure.
- The principles of a good wage payment system: Types of wages – Nominal, real, living, fair, and minimum wages – Incentives
- Quality Planning and its developments: Definitions of quality– Dimensions of quality– TQM concept
- Project Management Techniques: Introduction to Network analysis – Commonly used terms in CPM and PERT – CPM – Operation, earliest finish time (EFT), latest finish time (LFT), critical path, event, slack or float, dummy activity – Construction and numbering of network diagram – Fulkerson’s rule – Simple problems on CPM (by AOA method only) – PERT – Comparison between CPM and PERT – Calculation of expected time – Event, activity, successor event, predecessor event, earliest expected time, latest allowable time, slack.
- Quantitative techniques in management: Methods –Linear programming: – Formulation of LPP –Transportation problem – North West corner rule, Vogel’s approximation method – Simple problems. – Game theory – Two-person zero-sum game – Maxi-min and mini-max principle – Saddle point – simple problems.
- Materials and sales management.
- Inventory management –definition and classification –purchase procedure –buying techniques –EOQ and ABC analysis.
- Stores management –introduction –storekeeping functions –duties of storekeeper –store layout
- Centralized and decentralized store –store records –indent forms –bin card –store ledger.
- Sales –importance –functions of sales department –sales forecasting.
- Production planning and control: Concepts of the industry – Meaning of the term production and productivity – Methods of increasing productivity – Types of production – Job production batch production, mass production, continuous production.
- Explanation of production planning control – Benefits and functions of PPC – Pre-planning activities – Forecasting, plant location, product planning, design and development, material selection, Process planning, determination of men, machines, material, and tool requirements.
- Process planning –Choice of the machine in process planning – Break-even analysis – Process sheet –Process planning procedure Routing – Scheduling – Dispatching – Value Engineering – Plant location and layout – Factors to be considered in locating industrial plants – Plant layout
- Types of layouts – Compare the advantages and disadvantages of each type – Plant maintenance – Types of maintenance.
- Method study: Work-study – Advantages and application of work-study to increase productivity
- Method study – Therbligs and their symbols – Process chart symbols – Preparation of operation process chart, flow process chart, man-machine chart, right-hand left-hand chart, and Simo chart – Flow diagram – Principles of motion economy – Rules concerning the human body, workplace layout, and material handling, tools, and equipment design – Objectives of work measurement – Procedure of stopwatch time study – Standard time calculation – Production study – Work sampling – Steps in work sampling.
- Inspection and Quality control: Concept of quality and quality control – Product control – Concepts of inspection – Types of inspection – First piece inspection, working inspection, sample inspection, operation inspection, key operation inspection, floor or patrolling inspection, centralized inspection – Advantages and limitations Fundamental statistical concepts: Explain the term variability in measurements.
- Explain the terms variable, attribute, frequency, frequency distribution, and frequency plot – Normal distribution curve – Tally sheet – Explanation of the terms mean, mode, median, and standard deviation – Calculation of mean, mode, median, and standard deviation –Statistical quality control — Types of control charts – X, R, P,100P, and C.
- Project analysis: Need and scope for project analysis – Explanation of the constituent’s elements of project analysis – Production cost – Market survey – Selling price – Capital investment – Return on, investment – Elements of cost.
- Classification of costs – Depreciation – Types of depreciation –Obsolescence – Basic formula for calculation of machining times for the operation such as turning, drilling, and shaping – Simple problems.
Metallurgy and Machine Tools
- Material Science: Metals and alloys, Heat Treatment Processes, Properties, testing, and inspection of materials
- Manufacturing Process, Measuring instruments, gauges and comparators, Welding, soldering and brazing, Foundry, Benchwork, and fitting
- Machine Tools, Metal cutting, drilling machines, Shaping Machines, planning machines, Broaching Machines, Gear manufacture, Jigs and Fixtures, Grinding, Capstone and turret lathe, Automatic and copying machines, Flexible manufacturing system, Robots and robotics, Computer Numerical Control (CNC)
Fluid Mechanics, Pneumatics and Hydraulic Machines
- Fluid Mechanics and Pneumatics
Properties of Fluids, Fluid pressure and its measurement, Kinematics, and Dynamics of fluid flow, Flow-through Orifices, Notches, Pipes and Nozzles, Fluid Power, Hydraulic system, Hydraulic control elements and components, Pneumatic System, Pneumatic control elements and components: Pneumatic control valves – Air cylinders.
- Hydraulic Machines
Impact of jets, Impulse turbines, Reaction turbines: Components—the difference between impulse& Reaction, Centrifugal pump, Reciprocating pump.
Applied Mechanics, Strength of Materials and Design of Machine Elements
- Applied Mechanics, Strength of Materials
Direct Stresses and strains, Shear stress and shear strain, Thermal Stress and strain, Truss analysis, Friction, Centre of gravity of sections, Welded joints, Riveted joints, Thin Cylinders, Torsion of circular shafts, Springs, Shear force and bending moment, Columns and struts.
- Machine Drawing and Design of Machine Elements
Screw Threads, Welded joints and piping layout, Limits, Fits and Tolerances, Surface Roughness, General design considerations, Bolts, Nuts and Key, Shafts, Couplings, Bearings, Cams, Governors and Flywheels, Belt Drives, Gears, and Gear Trains
- Thermal Engineering
Thermal Engineering, Air Standard Cycles, Fuels & Combustion, Testing of I.C. Engines, Heat Transfer, Heat Exchangers, Air Compressors, Different systems of I C engines, Principles of Refrigeration, Refrigeration Equipment, Psychrometry, Psychrometric Processes, Air Conditioning, Air conditioning systems
Part-II Questions based on Engineering Mathematics
- Matrices – Identification of Matrices, matrix operations, adjoint, and inverse.
- Determinants – Evaluation of second and third-order, minors and cofactors, solutions of simultaneous linear equation in three unknown using Cramer’s rule.
- Binomial Series – Expansions using Binomial theorem.
- Trigonometric functions – Signs of functions in each quadrant. Trigonometric values of angles, properties of trigonometric functions, applications of the identities sin (A ± B), cos (A± B), and tan (A± B).
- Coordinate geometry – Equations to a straight line – slope-intercept form, intercept form; Angle between two lines, condition for two lines to be perpendicular, parallel.
- Differentiation – Limits and continuity, derivatives of functions, equation to tangents, and normal. Maxima and minima of functions of one variable.
- Integration of functions – Integration of different types of functions.
- Applications of integration – Area bounded by a curve and X or Y axis, solutions of differential equations using the method of variable separable solutions of linear differential equations of the first order.
Download the Kerala PSC Overseer/ Draftsman Mechanical Gr 1 Syllabus 2021 PDF:
Join our Kerala PSC latest Overseer/Draftsman Mechanical Gr1 exam-oriented course and get to your dream job. Download Entri for all the information regarding the course.