Table of Contents
The String of Pearls directs to the Chinese network of military and commercial facilities and relationships along its sea lines. This plan has been drafted by China to protect its trade interests. The String of Pearls is a geopolitical hypothesis given by United States political researchers in 2004. The term directs to the network of Chinese military and commercial facilities and relationships along its sea lines of communication, which extend from the Chinese mainland to Port Sudan in the Horn of Africa. Strategic impact is that the strings of pearls will lead to China surrounding India. China, which doesn’t have any openings in Indian ocean, will be able to dominate it. Strategic clout of India which it enjoys today in Indian ocean will be eventually declined.
China’s String of Pearls – Insights
- String of Pearls Project’ is a geographical theory related to the Chinese intentions (military, commercial, sea line communication and diplomatic) in the Indian ocean.
- A string of Pearls contains container facility in Chittagong (Bangladesh), facility at Karachi and Gwadar port in Pakistan and at Colombo , Hambantota (both in Sri Lanka) and other facilities.
- On July 12, 2017, Chinese groups have sailed for setting up the country’s first-ever overseas military base in Djibouti (Africa).
- This Chinese step portrays that China is trying to trap India through different base around its neighbouring countries.
- China is establishing a ring around India which is named “String of Pearls” by the media.
- It directs to the network of Chinese military and commercial facilities and relationships along its sea lines of communication, which extend from the Chinese mainland to Sudan Port.
- On July 12, 2017, Chinese groups have sailed for Djibouti for deployment to the country’s first overseas military base.
- Djibouti naval base has fueled worries in India that it’s part of China’s strategy to encircle the Indian subcontinent (‘the string of pearls’) with the help of military alliances and assets in Bangladesh, Myanmar, and Sri Lanka,”.
China’s String of Pearls – Impact on India
- It endangers Indian maritime security.
- China is developing more firepower with more submarines, destroyers, vessels, and ships.
- Their presence will cause a threat to India’s security through the water.
- Impacts on the Indian economy
- Indian resources will be passed towards defense and security.
- Thus, the economy will not reach its potential hampering economic growth.
- This may further lead to instability in India and the whole east and southeast region.
- The strategic clout of India which it enjoys today in the Indian ocean will be reduced.
- China doesn’t have any openings in the Indian ocean, the Strings of pearls will lead to China surrounding India and it will be able to dominate it.
- Countries that today consider India as a partner in response to China may end up in the lap of China.
China’s String of Pearls – Response by India
- India is using a multi-pronged strategy to counter the Chinese String of Pearls Strategy.
- The strategy contains building ports, extensive Coastal Surveillance Radar (CSR) systems to track Chinese Warships and Submarines,.
- Importing state of the art surveillance planes which can track down Chinese submarines, operating Airport in the neighboring country to keep a check on the Port built by China, deepening defense ties
- India is expanding bilateral relations with South Asian countries, Island nations in Indian Ocean region, Southeast Asian Nations and carrying out regular military exercises with navies of USA, Japan, Australia.
I hope this article was helpful. The key point to clear an exam lies in methodical and planned preparation. If you are a candidate who wants to pursue your dream career and looking for a good start, our Entri app has got it covered for you. Over the last decade, the concept of education has drastically changed, thanks to the internet. Let’s talk about all the positive contributions it has made. Consistency is the key. Be regular and punctual. Set a study pattern, modify it as per your needs and wants. You know yourself better, so plan accordingly. Our team will help you with content and insights related to the topics of your concern. Subscribe to our app today and enrol yourself into various programmes our app offers. Tune in to the app to stay updated regarding various aspects of the subject you are interested in. Feel free to post any queries and doubts in the comment section. We will try our best to reach out. Push away all those self-doubts and negative thoughts. Try to have a clear vision. Ask yourself why you want this. Focus on the good and work hard. There is a saying that goes like this, Get up and set your shoulders to the wheel-how long is life for you? as you have come to this world leave some mark behind or where is the difference between your trees and stones they too come into existence decay and die. Each day is a precious gift bestowed upon us so make it count. Work on yourself. Stop procrastinating. Today is the day, hope for the best. Good luck