Table of Contents
Electronic mail (in short known as email or e-mail) is a method of exchanging messages between people using electronic devices. Email was thus conceived as the electronic or digital version of, or counterpart to, mail. At a time when “mail” meant only physical mail (hence e- + mail). Email later became a ubiquitous (very widely used) communication medium, to the point that in current use, an e-mail address is often treated as a basic and necessary part of many processes in business, commerce, government, education, entertainment, and other spheres of daily life in most countries.
How to Write an Email?
Email writing is an essential part when it comes to professional communication. It is difficult to get people to respond to your emails unless the message or proposal is interesting. This is exactly the reason why you should learn to write good emails.
It should be bold, simple clear and one where you should get to the point right away. Emails can be casual or professional, just like informal and formal letters. The format of email writing changes according to the kind of email you are writing. However, accurate grammar and spelling are aspects that are to be taken seriously.
Here are some tips you should follow to write great e-mails:
- Make sure you type in the right email id. Always check with the receiver for the exact email address because even a full stop that is not part of the email address can land your email either with the wrong person or the mail would simply bounce.
- The Subject line is the next most important factor you should consider because that is the first thing anyone receiving the email would see. It also determines if the receiver would want to open the mail. Spend double the time you spend on drafting the body to draft the subject.
- See to that your Salutation or Greeting is appropriate to the receiver/s. The greeting builds a rapport.
- The Body of the email states what the email is about. Be clear with what you want your receiver to know. Make sure you have everything you want to convey drafted in simple terms. Keep it short and use standard font style and size. Do a final spelling/grammar check/proofread.
- Finally, conclude the email on a polite note and proofread it before hitting send. The closing should feel genuine.
Email Writing Format Samples
Check out the email writing patterns in details:
Informal Email Writing Format Samples
Email expressing your appreciation
To: Recipient’s email address
My heartfelt congratulations to you. I was glad to see your name on the merit list. All your efforts were definitely not in vain. I bet everyone at home is so proud of you.
You have truly honored the family name, and I am happy that you would get to take up the course in architecture which you had been waiting for. I am waiting to meet you in person to convey all my love and appreciation.
Convey my regards to uncle, aunty and grandpa.
Formal Email Writing Format Samples
Email on introducing a new employee to your team
To: Recipient’s mail id
Subject: Meet the New Customer Service Representative
I am pleased to introduce you to (Name), who is starting today as our Customer Service Representative. She will be providing technical support and assistance to our users and making sure they enjoy the best experience with our products.
Feel free to greet (Name) in person and congratulate her on the new role!
Advantages of E-mail
Here are the advantages of email that you should know:
- It is a cheap form of sending messages as sending email costs the same regardless of distance and the number of people you send it to
- One can send email fast. An email should reach its recipient in minutes, or at the most within a few hours
- It is a convenient way since your message will be stored until the recipient is ready to read it, and you can easily send the same message to a large number of people
- The messages sent remains permanent. You can keep a record of messages and replies, including details of when a message was received.
Disadvantages of E-mail
Following are the cons of using email:
- Spam – unsolicited email can overwhelm your email system unless you install a firewall and anti-spam software.
- Viruses – easily spread through email attachments.
- Sending emails by mistake – at a click of a button, an email can go to the wrong person accidentally, potentially leaking confidential data and sensitive business information.
- Data storage – electronic storing space can become a problem, particularly where emails with large attachments are widely distributed.
You will be provided with an online platform to prepare for the exam. Entri provides video classes as well on various important topics by the excellent faculties. It also gives you access to clarify your doubts. One will get revision modules, monthly tests based on the classes.