International days are marked to educate the public on issues of concern, to address global problems and to celebrate and reinforce achievements of humanity. Each international day provides the community an opportunity to organize activities related to the theme and to create public awareness on the same. Organizations, governments, public and private sectors, schools, universities and citizens make international day a springboard for awareness raising actions. In this article let us check on Global Handwashing Day 2020 – Theme, Activities and Quiz
Global Handwashing Day – Thursday, 15 October
In this article readers can get a glimpse on
- History and Theme of Global Handwashing day
- Global Handwashing day Activities
- Global Handwashing day Quiz
History and Theme of Global Handwashing day 2020
Global Handwashing Day was initiated by the Global Handwashing Partnership (GHP) in August 2008 at the annual World Water Week in Stockholm, Sweden. The first Global Handwashing Day took place on 15 October 2008. The date was appointed by the UN General Assembly. The year 2008 was also the International Year of Sanitation. The founding bodies in 2008 included: FHI360 (a nonprofit human development organization based in the US), US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Procter & Gamble, UNICEF, Unilever, World Bank Water & Sanitation Program and the United States Agency for International Development.
October 15 is Global Handwashing Day, a global advocacy day dedicated to increasing awareness and understanding about the importance of handwashing with soap as an effective and affordable way to prevent diseases and save lives.
Global Handwashing Day Theme 2020
The 2020 Global Handwashing Day theme is “Hand Hygiene for All.” This year’s theme follows the recent global initiative calling on all of society to scale up hand hygiene, especially through handwashing with soap.
The following are the themes that was evolved around the observation of global Handwashing day
- 2019 – Clean Hands for All.
- 2018 – Clean hands – a recipe for health.
- 2017 – Our hands, our future.
- 2016 – Make handwashing a habit.
- 2015 – Raise a hand for hygiene.
- 2014 – Clean hands save lives. In 2014, Global Handwashing Day was used as an opportunity to fight Ebola.
- 2013 – The power is in your hands.
- 2012 – I am a handwashing advocate.
- 2011 – Clean hands save lives.
- 2010 – Children and Schools.
- 2009 – Spread the word, not the germs.
- 2008 – The focus for Global Handwashing Day’s inaugural year in 2008 was school children. In that year, the members pledged to get the maximum number of school children handwashing with soap in more than 70 countries. In India in 2008, cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar and his teammates joined an estimated 100 million schoolchildren around the country in lathering up for better health and hygiene as part of the first Global Handwashing Day.
Global Handwashing Day Activities
The following are few activities that can be observed as a part of Global Hand washing day
- Awareness campaigns can be conducted at schools to educate the children on personal hygiene
- Personal Hygiene sessions has to conducted regularly at institutions to ensure the health and safety of all
- Activities can be conducted at schools to promote hand washing with soap
- Practice Handwashing regularly with soap
- Conduct surveys and find out how well people are aware of the method and ways to keep themselves clean and healthy
- Post on social media. Share on your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or other platforms to raise awareness about the importance of handwashing.
- Handwashing posters can be made available for community to get clear idea on how to wash hands well.
Global Handwashing Day Quiz 2020
1. Without running water and a sink, people can’t wash their hands.
In fact, running water isn’t necessarily required for hand washing. Any hand washing stations, or simple taps made from a bottle and string (called tippy taps), can be used in the absence of running water. All that’s needed for hand washing is clean water and soap.
6. When compared to traditional soap and water handwashing, alcohol handrubs are more effective in reducing the number of germs on hands.
7. How long should you scrub your hands together for when washing with soap and water?
8. These are multi-celled organisms that love to live and grow in damp, warm places such as between the toes or under the toenails and fingernails.
9. This involves creating and maintaining a daily grooming practice to help diminish the negative effects caused by germs.
- Entri Provides you an online platform to prepare for the exam
- You can download the app free of cost and join the class
- Entri provides video classes as well on various important topics by the excellent faculties
- Entri provides revision modules, monthly tests based on the classes
- Entri provides an excellent platform with full- length mock tests including previous year question papers
- It also gives you access to clarify your doubts
Attempt the following Quiz by Entri to boost your score in the examination
Few important international days and its significance by Entri.