International days are marked to educate the public on issues of concern, to address global problems and to celebrate and reinforce achievements of humanity. Each international day provides the community an opportunity to organize activities related to the theme and to create public awareness on the same. Organizations, governments, public and private sectors, schools, universities and citizens make international day a springboard for awareness raising actions. In this article let us check the International Mother Language Day 2021 – Quiz, History and theme
International Mother Language Day 2021 – Sunday, 21 February
In this article readers can get a glimpse on
- History and Objective of International Mother Language Day
- International Mother Language Day Theme 2021
- International Mother Language Day Quiz
History and Objective of International Mother Language Day
International Mother Language Day was declared by UNESCO in 21 February 1999 to promote awareness of linguistic and cultural diversity and to promote multilingualism. It has been observed throughout the world since 21 February 2000. The declaration came up in tribute to the Language Movement done by the Bangladeshis (then the East Pakistanis). 21st February is the anniversary of the day when the people of Bangladesh (then east Pakistan) fought for recognition for the Bangla language.
Pakistan had two geographical parts East Pakistan and West Pakistan when it was created in 1947. The two parts were extremely different to each other with respect to culture, language and various other aspects. In 1948, the Government of Pakistan declared Urdu to be the sole national language of Pakistan even though Bangla was spoken by the majority of people. The East Pakistan people protested and demanded Bangla to be at least one of the national languages. The demand was raised first by Dhirendranath Datta from East Pakistan on 23 February 1948, in the constituent Assembly of Pakistan. The students of the University of Dhaka arranged massive rallies and meetings. On 21 February 1952, police opened fire on rallies. This is a one incident in history, where people sacrificed their lives for their mother tongue.
International Mother Language Day Theme
Following are the themes that were evolved around the observance of International Mother Language Day across the years.
- 2006: Languages and cyberspace
- 2007: Multilingual education
- 2008: International Year of Languages
- 2010: International Year for the Rapprochement of Cultures
- 2011: Information and communication technology|Information and communication technologies
- 2012: Mother-tongue instruction and inclusive education
- 2013: Books for mother tongue education
- 2014: Local languages for global citizenship: spotlight on science
- 2015: Inclusion in and through education: language counts
- 2016: Quality education, language(s) of instruction and learning outcomes
- 2017: Toward sustainable futures through multilingual education
- 2018: Our languages, our assets.
- 2019: International Year of Indigenous Languages
- 2020: Safeguarding linguistic diversity
- 2021: Fostering multilingualism for inclusion in education and society
2021 Theme: Fostering multilingualism for inclusion in education and society
International Mother Language Day 2021 theme aims at recognizing languages and multilingualism as a channel to advance inclusion, and the Sustainable Development Goals’ by leaving no one behind. UNESCO believes that education should begin from the early years with the first language or mother tongue as education is the foundation of learning. This year’s observance entitles the policymakers, educators and teachers, parents and families to enhance their commitment to multilingual education, and inclusion in education.
International Mother Language Day Quiz
3. What is the most widely spoken language in Asia-Pacific?
5. How many out of the 7,097 living languages known do not have an established writing system?
- Entri Provides you an online platform to prepare for the exam
- You can download the app free of cost and join the class
- Entri provides video classes as well on various important topics by the excellent faculties
- Entri provides revision modules, monthly tests based on the classes
- Entri provides an excellent platform with full- length mock tests including previous year question papers
- It also gives you access to clarify your doubts
Attempt the following Quiz by Entri to boost your score in the examination
Few important international days and its significance by Entri.