Kerala PSC Food Safety Officer exam is scheduled for May 2020. Candidates with a degree in Food Technology or Dairy Technology or Biotechnology and below 36 years were eligible for these posts. Selected candidates will be posted in the state service Food Safety department for the salary scale of Rs.27800 – Rs. 59400/. PSC is yet to declare the anticipating vacancies for the Food Safety Officer posts.
Kerala PSC Food Safety Officer Exam Pattern
- Exam Language: English
- Maximum Marks: 100
- Number of Questions: 100
- Exam Duration: 01 hours 15 minutes
- Main Topics for Exams:
Part I – Food Technology
Part II – Dairy Technology
Part III – Veterinary Science
Part IV – Food safety and allied laws
Part V – Nutritional Bio-Chemistry and Food Analysis
Part VI – Micro Biological, Bio Technological & Medicinal Aspects
Part VII – Agricultural Science
Part VIII – Constitution of India & Civil Rights
Part IX – Mental Ability & Test of Reasoning
Part X – General English
Kerala PSC Food Safety Officer Syllabus
Kerala PSC Food Safety Officer: Food Technology
- Principles and methods of food preservation – Heat processing, pasteurization, canning, dehydration, freezing, freeze-drying, fermentation, microwave, irradiation and chemical preservatives – Aseptic preservation, hurdle technology, hydrostatic pressure technology, microwave processing, microfiltration, bactofugation, ultra-high voltage electric fields, pulsed electric fields, high-pressure processing, irradiation, thermosensation, ohmic heating, dielectric heating, infrared, induction heating, antibacterial and bacteriocins.
- Food fortification. Food additives. Classification, composition, manufacture, packaging, storage, and defects of tomato products, other convenience foods from fruits and vegetables, beverages – tea, cocoa, and coffee – pickles, chutney, sauces, spices, jam, jelly, marmalade, health drinks, restructured fruits and vegetables, preparation of fruits and vegetables, minimally processed products and Individually Quick Freeze products.
- Milling, processing, composition, structure, product development and byproduct utilization of cereals, pulses, millets, and oilseeds.
- Antinutritional factors. Instant ready mixes. Packaging – materials, and methods.
- Nutritional labeling of food. Quality control – systems and tools. Food plant sanitation. Food hygiene. Environment and waste management. Total quality management, good management practices, HACCP and codex Alimentarius commission.
Kerala PSC Food Safety Officer: Dairy Technology
- Composition of milk- Physicochemical properties of milk- milk hygiene- milk microbiology – Market milk: a collection of milk- cooling and transportation–filtration/ clarification- standardization- homogenization – pasteurization- UHT – sterilization- packaging.
- Tests for milk quality and detection of adulterants- dairy plant and equipment hygiene and sanitation. Definition, classification, composition, the outline of manufacture, packaging, storage, and defects of the following milk products: Cream, Malai, Dahi /Curd, yogurt, Channa / Paneer, Cheese, Ice cream, Frozen desserts, Evaporated milk, Condensed milk, Milk powder, Butter, Ghee, Chakka and Shrikhand, indigenous milk products. Foods for infant nutrition. Whey products, Edible casein products.
Kerala PSC Food Safety Officer: Veterinary Sciences
- Standards for organization and layout of abattoirs, handling, and transport of meat animals including poultry.
- Antemortem and post mortem examination.
- Scientific slaughtering and dressing of carcasses.
- Evaluation, grading, and fabrication of dressed carcasses including poultry. Fraudulent substitution of meat, preservation of meat and aquatic foods.
- Aging of meat. Packaging of meat and meat products. Physico-chemical and microbiological quality of meat and aquatic food and food products. Organic meat food products.
- Food products of genetically modified animals and marine origin. Meat as a source of disease transmission.
- Physical, chemical nutritional and functional characteristics of the egg. Processing of Egg and egg products. Preservation and storage of eggs.
Food Safety and Allied Laws
- The Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006; Rules and Regulations: Definitions – Authorities and Officers – Constitution, Functions, and Powers –General Provisions as to Articles of Food, Ch. IV, SS.19 to 24- Prohibition Orders- Procedure for Investigation and Launching Prosecutions – Analysis of Food – Offences and Penalties – Defences – Adjudication.
- Criminal Procedure Code, 1973: Definitions- Cognizance of offenses by Magistrate, S.190 – Complaints to Magistrate, SS. 200 to 203 – Trial of Sessions cases, SS. 225 to 237 – Trial of Warrant Cases, SS.238 to 250- Trial of Summons Cases, SS. 251 to 259 – Summary Trial, SS. 260 to 265- Appeal, SS. 372 to 394 –Bail and Bonds, SS. 436 to 450.
- Indian Evidence Act, 1872: Definitions- Expert Evidence, S.45 – Documentary Evidence, SS. 61 to 78.
Nutritional Biochemistry and Food Analysis
- Chemical composition of food: Carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, fiber, vitamins, and minerals – characteristics, sources, physiological and biochemical functions, daily requirement, digestion, and absorption.
- The biological value of proteins (BV), the protein efficiency ratio (PER), Digestibility coefficient, Net protein Utilization, Net Protein Ratio(NPR), Chemical Score, Free Radicals and Antioxidants.
- Energy value of foods, Respiratory Quotient (RQ), Determination of Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), Determination of energy metabolism during work, Energy expenditure for various types of activities, Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA), Specific Dynamic Action (SDA) of foods, Balanced diet formulation.
- Analytical techniques used in the detection of adulteration of food: Principle, procedure and detectors of chromatographic techniques (Column, paper, TLC, HPLC, and GC), Spectroscopic techniques (IR, UV, MS, and AAS).
- Food Analysis – moisture content, ash, fat, carbohydrate, crude fiber, crude protein, sodium,
potassium, calcium, and phosphates. Food adulteration: common adulteration, contamination and pesticide analysis. Oils and Fats – Iodine value and saponification value.
Microbiological, Biotechnological and Medical aspects
- Microscopy, staining and culture techniques, sterilization techniques, culture media, factors influencing microbial growth, growth curve, thermal death time and thermal death points, D-value, Z- value.
- Sources of microorganisms in food, perishable, semi perishable and non-perishable foods, intrinsic and extrinsic parameters influencing microbial content of food, Food spoilage-types, causes, and indications.
- Control of spoilage-pre-harvesting and post-harvesting food processing. Food Borne Diseases: Definition, Classification ( Foodborne intoxications and Foodborne infections), neurolathyrism, aflatoxins, Ergotism, Epidemic dropsy, Typhoid fever, Salmonellosis, Staphylococcal intoxication, Botulism, Bacillus cereus food poisoning, E.coli diarrhea, Cholera, Shigellosis, Brucellosis.
- Food poisoning: Types of food poisoning, method of investigation of food poisoning, prevention, and control- food sanitation, refrigeration, surveillance.
- Food handlers: a medical examination of food handlers, infections transmitted by food handlers, education of food handlers.
- Adulteration of foods: Health hazards. Sanitation of eating places: minimum standards, storage of uncooked foodstuffs, waste disposal, water supply, and washing facilities.
- Fermented foods- types, production, organisms involved, advantages and disadvantages, spoilage of fermented foods.
- Microbiological analysis of food and water- qualitative and quantitative, indicator organisms, coliforms, detection of pathogens, molecular techniques for detection of microbes. Microbiological standards of food and water.
- Water purification for domestic and municipal purposes. Sewage treatment. Application of enzymes in the food industry, production of food flavor and color. Enzyme immobilization and applications.
- Use of amylase, invertase, protease, pectinase and cellulase in food industries.
- Bioreactors. Single-Cell Proteins. Molecular detection of food contamination. Genetically modified food and labeling.
- Post-harvest handling: Physiology of maturity, ripening, and senescence in cereals, pulses, fruits, and vegetables. Maturity indices and harvesting of vegetables. Post-harvest losses, phases of loss and measures to reduce the losses.
- Fruits and vegetable cleaning and grading, methods of grading, equipment for grading of fruits and vegetables. Storage, grain storage, types of storage structures- traditional, improved and modern
storage structures. Size reduction- Principles and equipment for size reduction.
- Edible mushrooms. Stored product pests and their management – preventive and curative methods.
- Rodent management: principles and methods of control; Rodenticides – acute poisons, chronic poisons, fumigants.
- Fumigation, baits, baiting, and rat-proofing.
Constitution and Civil Rights
- Constituent Assembly – Preamble – Fundamental Rights – Directive principles – Fundamental Duties – Citizenship – Constitutional Amendments – Panchayath Raj – Constitutional Institutions and their Functions – Emergency- Union List- State List – Concurrent List.
Kerala PSC Food Safety Officer: Mental Ability and Test of Reasoning
- Calculation & Logic – Coding & Decoding- Classification- Synonym- AntonymLetter & Number Series- Odd Man Out- Analogy- Common Sense Test- Alphabetical Arrangement of Words- Date and Calendar- Sense of Direction- Etc.
Kerala PSC Food Safety Officer: General English
- Grammar – Agreement of Subject and Verb – Confusing Adjectives and Adverbs – Comparison of Adjectives – Correct usage of Articles – Prepositions – Direct and Indirect Speech – Active and Passive Voice – Correction in Sentences – etc.
- Vocabulary – Gender – Singular, and Plural – Synonyms – Antonyms – One-word Substitutes – Problem concerning words – Idioms and their meanings
Click here to download Kerala PSC Food Safety Officer Official Syllabus free pdf:
Entri wishes you all the best for your upcoming examinations. Start your Preparation today itself. Entri will help you with thousands of questions. Attempt mock tests, analyze yourselves to improve your success rate.
|Kerala PSC FSO Exam Information Links|
|Kerala PSC FSO Notification||Kerala PSC FSO Mock Test|
|Kerala PSC FSO Exam Date||Kerala PSC FSO Video Course|
|Kerala PSC FSO Application Form||Kerala PSC FSO Study Materials|
|Kerala PSC FSO Vacancy||Kerala PSC FSO Interview Questions|
|Kerala PSC FSO Admit Card||Kerala PSC FSO Job Profile|
|Kerala PSC FSO Study Plan||Kerala PSC FSO Salary|
|Kerala PSC FSO Previous Question Papers||Kerala PSC FSO Preparation Tips and Tricks|
|Kerala PSC FSO Best Books||Kerala PSC FSO Result|
|Kerala PSC FSO Eligibility Criteria||Kerala PSC FSO Cutoff|
|Kerala PSC FSO Selection Process||Kerala PSC FSO Exam Analysis|
|Kerala PSC FSO Answer Key|