Table of Contents
Teaching is the process of sharing thought and knowledge. The purpose of teaching is to bring desirable changes in the learner through learning. Teaching brings socially desirable behavioral changes in an individual according to the need of the society and environment in which he is living. Teaching is considered as one of the most rewarding professions. It requires dedication and passion to mold the future generations.
Teachers teach at three levels. This is done keeping in mind the developmental stage of the learners so that desired educational objectives can be achieved. There are three levels of teaching:
- Memory Level
- Understanding Level
- Reflective Level
Memory level is considered as the thoughtless level of teaching as in this level the teaching is done to provide textbook knowledge to students and more emphasis is given to memorization rather than learning. The objective of this level is to just impart information to the students. This level helps in increasing the memory power. It is not considered to be the best as memorizing without understanding the concept is not good. Memory level teaching lacks insight. The learner learns the material, retain the meaningful material and reproduce the material as and when required. Herbart is considered as the exponent of memory level of teaching.
The teaching method in memory level are repetition, review revision and asking questions. In this level, the teacher is the stage setter and resource manager of classroom. The teacher plays an active role whereas the students play a passive role. Different types of teaching aids like visual aids, models, charts, maps, pictures, Tv, and radio, etc. are used.
Advantages of Memory Level:
- It is useful for young students because of their intellect is under development and they have a rote memory.
- It is also helpful for slow learners.
- It is useful for acquisition of facts, information of models, and structure.
- Helpful to children for learning a new concept
- This is the basis for understanding the reflective level of teaching.
Disadvantages of Memory Level:
- It does not contribute to the development of student’s abilities.
- This level involves dominance of teacher.
- Loss of recall and retention.
- There is no intrinsic motivation.
- Interaction level is low in the classroom.
- Intelligence does not carry any importance in this type of teaching and it lacks motivation.
- Students don’t get a chance of self-learning.
In this level of teaching, students interact with concepts and comprehends the content. The teaching at the understanding level is of a higher quality than the one at the memory level. Teachers use debates, seminars, explanations, and other similar methods in this level. At this level of teaching, the teacher explains the student about the relationship between principles and facts and teach them how these principles can be applied. The new knowledge acquired at this level is related to the earlier knowledge gained. The understanding level of teaching is supported by the Herbartian theory of apperception. It states that this level of teaching seeks the learner to acquaint himself with the relationship between facts and principles. Morrison is the main proponent of the understanding level of teaching, however, it is also called the explanatory level of teaching.
In this level, the teachers use lectures, decision method and explanation.
Advantages of Understanding Level:
- Learning is more effective as students make use of their thinking abilities.
- Development of different cognition learnings.
- Sets stages for entering into the reflective level of teaching.
- The interaction level between the teacher and student is good.
- Enables students to have complete command over subject material.
- Mental development of the learner is higher compared to that of memory level.
- There is effective classroom interaction.
Disadvantages of Understanding Level:
- It ignores higher cognitive abilities.
- There is less emphasis on intrinsic motivation.
- It is more teacher centered.
- It does not promote individualized learning.
This is the most advanced level of the teaching – learning activity. It is also called introspective teaching. It goes beyond comprehension and requires students to focus on what they have heard or understood. This is the level of instruction in which the instructor encourages and stimulates students to think about and reflect on the content and concepts they have learned. Reflective teaching does not depend upon memorization; it rather depends on reasoning, analysis and thoughts. The role of the teacher in this level of teaching is democratic. He does not force knowledge on the students but develops their talents and capabilities. Students learn to face real problematic situation by understanding the situation and using his critical abilities in solving the problem. It also helps learners to explore the field of knowledge, to discover and to understand and present generalizations in the light of the new evidence.
A learner can achieve this level only after memory level and understanding level. The pupils occupy the primary place whereas the teacher occupies the secondary place.
Advantages of Reflective Level:
- It is the most thoughtful mode of operation
- This level of teaching is appropriate for higher classes.
- The teaching at this level is learner centered.
- It helps in the development of problem-solving skill.
- It provides maximum flexibility and helps develop creativity.
- This level provides self-motivation.
- It is most useful for gifted children.
Disadvantages of Reflective Level:
- This level is not suitable for lower classes.
- It is a time-consuming process
- It is suitable only for mentally matured children and not applicable for dull students.
- There is excess burden on teachers.
- This level of teaching is not suitable for Indian classroom.
The key point to clear an exam lies in methodical and planned preparation. If you are a candidate who wants to pursue your dream career and looking for a good start, Entri App has got it covered for you. Entri App provides a great online platform for all those aspiring to appear for various bank exams, government exams and other competitive exams. Our team of experts provide short and precise video classes which helps in learning the concepts. Users get access to flash cards and quizzes and can attempt unlimited mock exams with the same pattern as that of the real exams. We also provide PDFs of previous years’ question papers with solutions.