Table of Contents
January 11 is observed as National Human Trafficking Awareness Day to raise awareness on the persistent issue of human trafficking. Though the entire month of January has been recognized as National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month, 11 January is specifically dedicated to awareness and prevention of the illegal practice. Since the observance of the day has been established in 2011 by Presidential Proclamation of National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month, it has drawn massive public support around the world. Though it is committed to the same issue, it is separate and distinct from the United Nations’ World Day Against Trafficking in Persons, which takes place on July 30th.
History of National Human Trafficking Awareness Day
The United States Senate established National Human Trafficking Awareness Day in 2007 to raise awareness in the United States about human trafficking and national slavery. Initially, the day was started as a U.S initiative, and they began to highlight the topic, and they aimed to work towards creating awareness among the people about the abolition of human trafficking and sexual slavery. Beginning in 2010, through the Presidential Proclamation by President Barack Obama, every January has been designated National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month. Following the start of National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month, with the help of non-government organizations, National Human Trafficking Day began and is observed annually on January 11th.
What is Human Trafficking?
Human trafficking is considered a modern form of slavery. Traffickers use violence, manipulation, or false promises to lure their victims into trafficking situations. The victims usually experience physical abuse, psychological abuse, sexual abuse, deprivation of basic needs, threats to family members, and isolation from the outside world. They also endure forced labor, involuntary servitude, forced marriage and debt bondage. The real goal of human trafficking is to exploit people in every possible way.
The following signs may indicate that a person is the victim of human trafficking:
- Unable to leave or come and go as desired
- Excessively long and unusual work hours
- Not allowed breaks or subjected to unusual restrictions at work
- Few or no personal possessions and/or identification documents
- Lack of control of his/her own money
- Not allowed to speak for him/herself
- Fear, anxiety, nervousness, depression, paranoia, submissive behaviors
- Signs of physical and/or sexual abuse, physical restraint, confinement, or torture
- Does not appear to have a stable living condition
- Appears to be coached on what to say
- Is disoriented or confused, or showing signs of mental or physical abuse
- Has had a sudden or dramatic change in behavior
- Is often in the company of someone to whom he or she defers
National Human Trafficking Day 2022 Events
The goal of the day is to bring greater awareness to the crime of sex trafficking. Each year, organizations around the globe provide support to communities, training to volunteers and educational events to increase awareness. We can help raise awareness and save peoples lives by spreading education about the despicable act of human trafficking and what one can do if one suspects anyone of being a victim or organizer of this horrific act. Children should be taught how to behave to strangers and to memorize important phone numbers and addresses. Charitable organizations use this day to raise awareness about the need for strong anti-trafficking laws and the need for added funding to support victims of human trafficking. We can do our bit by donating to these missions. At present there are over 50 established organizations that globally fight against this illegal practice. Blue is internationally recognized as the universal color for human trafficking prevention. You can show your solidarity to the cause by wearing blue. You can also show your support by drawing a red X on your hand.
National Human Trafficking Awareness Day Quotes
- Learn to fight human trafficking and help human trafficking victims.
- Exchange your views with individuals about human trafficking and trendy slavery concern on National human trafficking consciousness day.
- Most of the international locations on the planet are cracking down on human trafficking. Create consciousness.
- Proud to be part of a robust voice towards human trafficking. Awareness is a should.
National Human Trafficking Awareness Day 2022 Theme
This year’s National Human Trafficking Awareness Day 2022 theme is human trafficking. The most important motive of this year’s theme of human trafficking is to create consciousness among individuals about National Human Trafficking and allow them to be part of the neighborhood of Human Trafficking Awareness. On National Human Trafficking Awareness Day, hashtags like #NationalHumanTraffickingDay, #HumanTrafficking run across various social media platforms, inspiring people to know more about the day and its purpose.