“One scientific invention can change the world forever!!” Inventions include things like- the steam engine, printing press, the computer, internet, the light bulb, penicillin, and many more. In this modern era, Science is having a major influence on our day-to-day life. Technology has made life simpler and easier. India has contributed to the scientific world from the ancient period itself. Now too our scientists are making it possible to be powerful with the technological upgradations in all related fields. In India, National Science Day (NSD) is celebrated on 28th February 2023.
The Rashtriya Vigyan Diwas day is observed every year to commemorate the discovery of the ‘Raman Effect’ by Sir C.V. Raman on 28 February 1928. He was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930 for the same. Science Week is also observed along with the National Science Day.
The National Council for Science and Technology Communication (NCSTC) had asked the Government of India to designate 28 February as National Science Day in 1986.
Followed by which the Government declared 28th February as NSD. The first National Science Day was celebrated on February 28, 1987.
National Science Day 2023 Importance
National Science Day is widely celebrated all over the country- in all educational and research institutions. The celebration includes public speeches, radio, TV, science movies, science exhibitions based on themes and concepts, watching the night sky, live projects, research demonstrations, debates, quiz competitions, lectures, science model exhibitions, and many more activities.
On the occasion of the first NSD (28 February 1987), NCSTC announced the institution of the National Science Popularization awards for recognizing outstanding efforts in the area of science communication and popularization.
Download Entri for practicing General Awareness mock tests for upcoming competitive exams.
Objectives of NSD
More than just a celebration government have specific objectives for observing a day for Science. Let us see what are they to:
- Spread a message about the Importance of science used in the daily life of the people.
- Display all the activities, efforts, and achievements in the field of science for human welfare.
- Discuss all the issues and implement new technologies for development in the field of science.
- Give an opportunity to the scientific-minded citizens in the country.
- Encourage people as well as popularize science and technology.
National Science Day 2023 Themes
The National Science Day Theme 2023 has not declared yet. Dr Jitendra Singh launched the theme of National Science Day (NSD) 2022- ‘Integrated Approach in S&T for Sustainable Future‘ and said the era of working in Silos is over and all should join hands for integrated theme-based projects
The theme of previous year:
- 2021 is “Future of STI: Impacts on Education, Skills, and Work”.
- 2020 was “Women in Science.”
- 2019 was “Science for the People and the People for Science”
- 2018 was “Science and Technology for a sustainable future.”
- 2017 was “Science and Technology for Specially Abled Persons”
Download Entri and know more about upcoming government exams
Sir C.V. Raman and Raman Effect
- Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman was born on 7 November 1888 in Trichy, Tamil Nadu.
- 1917, Sir C. V. Raman was appointed the first Palit Professor of Physics at the University of Calcutta.
- He continued doing research at the Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS) in Calcutta.
- On 28 February 1928, Raman led an experiment with K. S. Krishnan, on the scattering of light, when he discovered what now is called the Raman effect.
- The field of Raman spectroscopy came to be based on this phenomenon.
- Won the 1930 Nobel Prize in Physics for “the scattering of light and for the discovery of the Raman effect“.
- He was the first Asian and first non-white to receive any Nobel Prize in the sciences.
- Rabindranath Tagore had received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1913
- C. V. Raman died on 21 November 1970.
So, all these about the NSD 2022. Celebrate National Science Day a.k.a Rashtriya Vigyan Diwas 2022 efficiently and participate in various programs. Aspirants prepare notes on important dates probable to be asked in competitive examinations. Start your preparations with Entri, the best online platform for all national and state-level competitive examinations.
” Be like a PROTON- Be POSITIVE!”
Discussion about this post