Earning the global language tag, English has developed into a language that is required to be learned based on its influential connection through business and politics across countries. Overcoming linguistic barriers, English has made a place of its own in both formal and informal communication. Therefore, modern-day communication is mostly conducted through the medium of English. To be able to communicate in English, one has to be well-versed and fluent in the four English language skills: Speaking, Reading, Writing, and Listening.
Many English language test systems require candidates to score well in all four English language skills to approve their entry to a country. Hence, it is important to know and learn the secret power of these language skills. This is easily possible for people who are willing to put effort into practicing consistently and improving their language skills.
The following article gives an idea on how to excel in learning English by cracking the secret power of the four English language skills: Speaking, Reading, Writing, and Listening.
Tips to Improve Your Speaking, Writing, Listening, and Reading
Speaking and writing are productive in nature and are known as active skills whereas listening and reading are receptive in nature and are known as passive skills. Improve your English language skills by learning and practicing through the following tips for each skill.
Speaking and Listening
- Listen to others: It is always good to be a keen listener wherein listening to the way different people talk in English will give you an idea of how they articulate their thoughts through speech.
- Repeat what you listen: Learn to repeat sentences other than memorizing word by word. Repeat the sentence to understand it better.
- Listen to yourself: Speak in sentences and listen to yourself. While you speak and listen to yourself, evaluate yourself along the process. Constant feedback is important for progress.
- Short speeches: Select a topic that you find interesting and try to speak at least ten lines on the topic. By doing this activity every day, you will be able to understand how you frame words while you speak.
- Talk, talk and talk: Practice makes it more than perfect when it comes to improving one’s speaking skills. Engage in conversations where you get to learn English especially if you talk to a native speaker.
- Visual/audio medium: Watch English movies, shows or news to quickly get a grasp of the language. Listening to podcasts, audio stories and songs in English are helpful as well in improving your speaking and listening skills.
Writing and Reading
- Read Regularly: Regular reading of newspaper, magazine articles, short stories or even a random pamphlet would help you develop an understanding of different writing styles and ways in which you should use appropriate words.
- Spelling: You should be able to differentiate words and meanings. For example, the words ‘sore’ and ‘sour’ are different in meaning and this is differentiated by knowing the spellings of both words. Reading more will help you differentiate the same.
- Active Vocabulary: Expanding your vocabulary is a key element in communication especially in formal communication. This is made possible through reading content with advanced level of writings.
- Learn Grammar: Quality of writing is also determined by how tenses, linking words and punctuation’s are appropriately used in a sentence.
- Write Regularly: Make it a habit to write on a daily basis. Choose a topic of your interest and practice writing one or two paragraphs on the topic. This activity will help you improve your pace of connecting and converting your thoughts into words and improves your writing skills.
Read more on ‘How to Stop Translating and Start Thinking in English?‘ here.
Proper guidance and assessments would help you start your journey in acing the spoken English game. The Spoken English course of Entri App: “English Padikkyam with Inverted Coconut” by Aparna Mulberry, an international spoken English tutor provides you with the best language learning opportunity. The course structure, classes, tests, and live sessions perfectly align with your goal of understanding and communicating better in English with clarity and confidence. The course caters to the different learning paces and techniques of each student to learn and practice at their comfort and convenience.
As compared to other languages, English has less complicated grammar, easier verb usage, and less intricate plurals. Therefore, learning the language requires little effort yet consistent learning to get a grasp of the linguistic aspects involved in communication. In the age of globalization, English will help you communicate your ideas and voice your thoughts on a global level. Enjoy your journey of learning English with Entri – the learning App.