Starting right from the birth of a child, a mother has a significant role to play. The initial years after the birth, when a child creates new bonds with the new world is challenging as well as rewarding. During such a phase, the comfort that a mother gives involuntarily to her child is incomparable. As far as a newborn is concerned, all of his/her basic needs like food and shelter are fulfilled only by the mother. This helps in creating a sense of security and attachment of the young baby with the mother. With this being said, the importance of breastfeeding a baby shall be now brought to the limelight. Apart from the benefits that a child gains through the breastmilk, the bond that it helps to form with the mother is inseparable. As people all over the globe celebrate World Breastfeeding Week 2021 from 01st of August 2021 to 07th of August 2021, let us read about it in detail here.
World Breastfeeding Week 2021
Undoubtedly, breastfeeding is the most powerful form to generate interaction and affection between a mother and a child. Usually the bond formed over breastfeeding lasts beyond infancy to the entire lifetime. The physical closeness that develops between the mother and baby through breastfeeding helps to create a sense of security and safety in the child. Apart from creating an emotional connection with the mother, breastfeeding will help the child to evolve a greater immunity to diseases.
Therefore, the organizers of World Breastfeeding Week have dedicated an entire 7 day period for this purpose. World Breastfeeding Week is celebrated from August 1 to August 7 with various activities, events and programs that help in raising awareness with regard to this cause. Keep reading the entire article for more details about it!
History of World Breastfeeding Week
In order to create awareness amongst the people about the importance of breastfeeding, the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) began a global campaign to support breastfeeding .WABA or World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action is an all-encompassing organization that unites individuals as well as groups for the promotion, protection and support of breastfeeding worldwide. WABA works on the basis of the Innocenti Declarations and the Global strategy for Infant and Young child feeding by WHO/UNICEF.
The celebrations of World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) first took place in the year 1992. Every year since then, the whole week was dedicated to create awareness and raise the importance of breastfeeding to the public. Due to its impact on society, the World Health Assembly declared WBW as a major propagative strategy for breastfeeding.
World Breastfeeding Week 2021 Theme
Even though the theme of celebrating the world breastfeeding week changed from year to year, the ultimate goal remained the same. Some of the prominent themes that were adopted for World Breastfeeding Week are women and work, the International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes, healthcare systems, ecology, economy, community support, science, education and human rights
World Breastfeeding Week 2021 Theme – Protect Breastfeeding: A Shared Responsibility.
In the table given below, we will list the theme adopted by the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) for the celebration of World Breastfeeding Week in the preceding years. Have a look at it for details
|2020||Support breastfeeding for a healthier planet|
|2019||Empower Parents, Enable Breastfeeding.|
|2018||Breastfeeding: Foundation for Life|
|2017||Sustaining Breastfeeding Together|
|2016||Breastfeeding: A key to Sustainable Development.|
|2015||Breastfeeding and Work: Let’s Make It Work!|
|2014||BREASTFEEDING: A Winning Goal – for Life!|
|2013||Breastfeeding Support: Close to Mothers|
|2012||Breastfeeding Support: Close to Mothers|
|2011||Talk to me! Breastfeeding – a 3D Experience”.|
|2010||The need for maternity services to protect, support, and promote breastfeeding|
|2009||Breastfeeding: A Vital Emergency Response|
|2008||“Mother Support: Going for the Gold”|
|2007||The 1st Hour – Save ONE million babies!|
|2006||Code Watch – 25 Years of Protecting Breastfeeding|
|2005||Breastfeeding and Family Foods: Loving & Healthy – Feeding Other Foods While Breastfeeding is Continued|
|2004||Exclusive Breastfeeding: the Gold Standard – Safe, Sound, Sustainable|
|2003|| Breastfeeding in a Globalised World
for Peace and Justice
|2002||Breastfeeding: Healthy Mothers and Healthy Babies|
|2001||Breastfeeding in the Information Age|
|2000||Breastfeeding: It’s Your Right|
|1999||Breastfeeding: Education for Life|
|1998||Breastfeeding: The Best Investment|
|1997||Breastfeeding: Nature’s Way|
|1996||Breastfeeding: A Community Responsibility|
|1995||Breastfeeding: Empowering Women|
|1994||Protect Breastfeeding: Making the Code Work|
|1993||Mother-Friendly Workplace Initiative (MFWI)|
|1992||Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI)|
Objectives of World Breastfeeding Week
The Primary objectives of celebrating the World Breastfeeding Week are to-
Each year, the organization of WABA selects a theme to celebrate the World Breastfeeding Week and inform all the participating countries about it. Presently more than 120 countries of the world participate in the events held in association with the World Breastfeeding Week. Next, the newly selected theme is anchored within the global breastfeeding agenda. As the next step, various events are organized with the help of individuals and organizations so as to increase the impact of the celebration. As a final and evaluative measure, ample action on galvanizing the steps to curb related issues are taken care of.
World Breastfeeding Week Quotes
Indeed breastfeeding is one of the most important weapons to empower women and the child. Many famous people have talked about breastfeeding using some of the most powerful words. Check them out here.
- “Mother’s milk is soul food for babies. The babies of the world need a lot more soul food.” ― Ina May Gaskin
- “Being a mother is the real beauty, breastfeed your child, not your beauty” ― Sir P.S. Jagadeesh Kumar
- “Humans weren’t designed to consume milk from animals.” ― James Thomas Kesterson Jr
- “Breasts are a scandal because they shatter the border between motherhood and sexuality.” ― Iris Marion Young
- “A baby nursing at a mother’s breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature.” – David Suzuki
- “So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep. I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.” – Ruth Hulburt Hamilton
- “Nursing does not diminish the beauty of a woman’s breasts; it enhances their charm by making them look lived in and happy.” – Robert A. Heinlein
- “ I’m an advocate of ‘indiscreet’ breastfeeding – the more that people see babies at the breast, the more normal it will be.” – Dr. Jack Newman
- “ Breastfeeding reminds us of the universal truth of abundance; the more we give out, the more we are filled up, and that divine nourishment – the source from which we all draw is, like a mother’s breast, ever full and ever flowing.” – Sara Buckley
- “Breastfeeding is a natural ‘safety net’ against the worst effects of poverty.” — James P. Grant
- “A newborn has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three.” — Dr. Grantly Dick-Read.
World Breastfeeding Week Slogans
- Right in temperature, best in nutrients, nothing beats breast milk.
- Breast milk is the healthiest formula to give your baby.
- Given a choice each and every baby prefers breast milk because that is what is the healthiest.
- If you don’t breastfeed your baby today, be prepared for the consequences tomorrow.
- It is a woman’s superpower to breastfeed her baby.
- It’s not about my right to breastfeed, it’s about my child’s right to eat.
- Breastfeeding is not a choice, it’s a responsibility.
- Breast Milk each day helps babies rest, grow and play!
Benefits of Breastfeeding
- The antibodies contained in the breast milk provides necessary immunity to the babies to fight bacteria and viruses.
- Breastfeeding during the first six months provides all the necessary nutrients required by the baby.
- A healthy weight gain of the baby is stimulated by breast milk.
- Feeding the baby with breast milk reduces his/her risk to getting affected by diseases like respiratory tract infections, gut infections, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), diabetes, etc
- Breastfeeding the baby will naturally lead to weight loss by the mother.
- The uterus that was expanded during pregnancy contracts faster when the mother is breastfeeding the child.
- Naturally soothing hormones that are produced during breastfeeding tend to decrease the risk of depression and emotional high-lows during postpartum.
- The physical and emotional bonding between the mother and child helps to reduce the social and behavioral problems in the child as he/she grows up.
How to Celebrate World Breastfeeding Week ?
Even though you are not a new mom who is breastfeeding, there are numerous activities which can be held in order to create an awareness about breastfeeding. Some of them are listed below:
- Educate the locals
The best thing that you can do related to the WBW is to educate the masses regarding its importance. It can be done by organizing a talk, a quiz, a competition or by any other means.
- Share your experience
If you have ever breastfeed your baby, then do not shy away in sharing your experience. Be an advocate of breastfeeding and talk about ways to promote it. While you share your experiences in the social media, do not forget to use the hashtag, #WBW or #worldbreastfeedingweek.
- Supply free Gear
Team up with the local NGO and supply free goodies and gears that will support breastfeeding. This will definitely boost confidence in the new moms.
- Make your locality Nursing friendly
Now, this is an important aspect that everyone should strive for. Many of the breastfeeding moms really have to undergo a lot of struggle when nursing the child in public places. So, ensure to build a safe breastfeeding station or nursing station for the new moms out there in your locality.
- Host a Tea Party
On this special time of the year, host a tea party to honor all the breastfeeding women out there. This will definitely make them happier along with increasing their confidence levels to mingle with people.
Let’s Round Off
As we wind up this article, we hope that we could bring light to our readers about the importance of celebrating and creating awareness on the World Breastfeeding Week. Do your part today to raise awareness to this great cause. Let this World Breastfeeding Week be one of a kind for all our readers!