Table of Contents
The Defence Research and Development Organisation popularly known as the DRDO successfully organised maiden test firing of the indigenously developed Naval Anti-ship missile on May 18, 2022. The missile was launched aboard Seaking 42B Naval Helicopter from Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Balasore in Odisha. The missile test was successful as it completely all its objectives. It is believed to be the first indigenously-made air-launched Anti-ship missile system for the Indian Navy. Its successful test marks an vital step towards achieving self-reliance in niche missile technology and reaffirms the Indian Navy’s commitment to indigenization. The flight test was seen by senior officers of the Indian Navy and DRDO.
- It is believed that, All the sub-systems of the newly developed missile performed satisfactorily.
- The sensors deployed across the test range and near impact point tracked the missile trajectory and recorded all the events.
- The mission was successful, said a defence official.
- DRDO has developed the missile with many new technologies, including an indigenously built launcher for the helicopter.
- The missile guidance system included state-of-the-art navigation system and integrated avionics.
- The short range anti-ship missile project with a fund allocation of Rs 434 crore was sanctioned in 2018.
- The weapon system with a strike range of around 50 km weighs around 380 kg. Fitted with an imaging infra-red seekers, it can carry a warhead of around 100 kg.
- Travelling at a speed of one Mach, the missile is capable of destroying patrol boats and damaging warships.
- It can cruise at just five meters above sea level, making it difficult for enemy radars to detect and track the weapon.
- Although India has the naval version of BrahMos to be used as an anti-ship missile, it is a joint venture with Russia.
- DRDO is planning the longer range version of the indigenously developed anti-ship missile.
- Secretary of Department of Defence (Research and Development) and DRDO Chairman Dr G Satheesh Reddy complimented the Indian Navy and Naval flight test squadron for their support to the project. “The system will strengthen the offensive capability of the Indian Navy,” he said.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh congratulated DRDO, Indian Navy and associated teams for the maiden developmental flight test of the anti-ship missile.
- With this indigenous anti-ship missile, India attained a high level of capability in the indigenous design and development of missile systems, he added.
I hope this article was helpful. The key point to clear an exam lies in methodical and planned preparation. If you are a candidate who wants to pursue your dream career and looking for a good start, our Entri app has got it covered for you. Over the last decade, the concept of education has drastically changed, thanks to the internet. Let’s talk about all the positive contributions it has made. Consistency is the key. Be regular and punctual. Set a study pattern, modify it as per your needs and wants. You know yourself better, so plan accordingly. Our team will help you with content and insights related to the topics of your concern. Subscribe to our app today and enrol yourself into various programmes our app offers. Tune in to the app to stay updated regarding various aspects of the subject you are interested in. Feel free to post any queries and doubts in the comment section. We will try our best to reach out. Push away all those self-doubts and negative thoughts. Try to have a clear vision. Ask yourself why you want this. Focus on the good and work hard. There is a saying that goes like this, Get up and set your shoulders to the wheel-how long is life for you? as you have come to this world leave some mark behind or where is the difference between your trees and stones they too come into existence decay and die. Each day is a precious gift bestowed upon us so make it count. Work on yourself. Stop procrastinating. Today is the day, hope for the best. Good luck